It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain-Ireland border check plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

Ryanair and Aer Lingus planes at Dublin airport
Airlines could be fined if they do not carry out checks, the paper says

The first formal border checks between Britain and the Irish Republic in more than 80 years have been proposed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i guess they are starting to turn the screws on republic of ireland for voting no to the new eu treaty...

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

i guess they are starting to turn the screws on republic of ireland for voting no to the new eu treaty...

I dunno man, i'd say it is more likely about illegal immigration and Customs.

Crossing between the Irish republic and the Mainland UK is very lax. It wont make a difference to EU citizens except that passports will be needed to prove identity before you fly or sail between countries. Same as with everywhere else.

Over a million people fly between Dublin and London every year/ 12 - 15 million cross between Ire & Uk altogether each year and until now, you didn't legally need a passport to do it.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Eh? Ireland? Aren't we due to conquer them again soon?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

By conquer, i assume you mean that you fornicate with your siblings.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad

news.bbc.co.uk

Couldn't agree more. What they 'say' it is for, and what its real purpose is are two completely seperate things. This is hassling them for denying Brussels power grab imho.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
you didn't legally need a passport to do it.

And there's your reason right there.

It's nothing more than a new cash cow for the UK government to milk from all the money they'll get from people now having to own a passport if they want to travel to Ireland, Air taxes obviously aren't enough so now they want to find a new legal tax this is just perfect for them at £60 or however much a passport is and it running out every 10 years it's a perfect new stealth tax

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I was in Ireland on business this week and had show my passport at Dublin airport but when I arrived back in the UK, I did not need to show my passport.

Before the redevelopment of Dublin airport, there were many occassion when the people on flights from the UK were just waved by.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
so if i fly from paris into Dublin and have a later flight to london, do i go through immigration in Dublin and London or just Dublin???
I am non EU but part of commonwealth

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think its englands way of "keeping thier country safer by tightning boarders", but in reality , keeping thier boarders tighter so less people can get out.
MHO, this has realitivly little to do with ireland, considering we are the only country to boarder the UK it is just the british goverments way of keeping the population in a chokehold of fear and paranoia

Yeh i also think we're due to kick you out and make your country a mockery and fool on the world stage again

[edit on 19-8-2008 by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is actually standardising border controls, rather than anything particular against Ireland. If you come travel from anywhere else in the EU, you need a passport to enter the UK. The UK is not part of the EU free travel area, like France or Germany.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

Originally posted by fatdad

news.bbc.co.uk

Couldn't agree more. What they 'say' it is for, and what its real purpose is are two completely seperate things. This is hassling them for denying Brussels power grab imho.

That makes sense... nothing like political hindrance to persuade a change of mind.

I hope the Irish are tougher than that and tell them to sling it!

Starred!

The UK is not part of the EU free travel area, like France or Germany.

Thank god! For all their talk of "secure borders" we have a hell of a lot of illegals and terrorists in this country!!

If I had my way, there would be no more admissions for asylum etc.. - the door would be closed to immigrants, and visitors would need to register an address they could be found at, with random checks.

It wouldn't be a prison - it would be a damn good deterrent!

[edit on 19-8-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

That is an Irishman's definition of conquer, but no, that's not what I'm talking about. Of course, I understand how you are confused on the issue.

But yes, this is not about the EU treaty, IMO, it's about our damn awful boarder and immigration policies.

Honestly, it's ridiculous. There is even an Irishman in the office I work in!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

That is an Irishman's definition of conquer, but no, that's not what I'm talking about. Of course, I understand how you are confused on the issue.

But yes, this is not about the EU treaty, IMO, it's about our damn awful boarder and immigration policies.

Honestly, it's ridiculous. There is even an Irishman in the office I work in!

Firstly, We are both in the EU...remember? You can live and work in any other EU country...!..?? Did you not know this?

Secondly, The UK and Rep of Ireland have always had a special arrangement allowing people from both countries to move, live and work freely on both Islands.

Maybe you should tell the Irish guy you work with how ridiculous you think it is that he works in your office. See how he feels about it.

new topics

top topics

join