It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emotiv EPOC, computer interface that could help us train psi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Hi everyone, I was browsing the Internet and found a website that could pick many people's interest around here.

The website I'm referring to is EMOTIV.

I'm not going in too many details (just check the site and the footages there), but those guys there are developing a revolutionary interface, that will "intercept" our brainwaves, thoughts and emotions and transform them into inputs for our computers.

Now, let's forget for a moment all the Matrix/Minority Report/Johnny Mnemonic stuff obviously connected to such an interface.

If you pay attention, you'll notice that Emotiv should be releasing a Software Development Kit.

Moreover, in one of the footages, we can see a guy playing a videogame (released with the Emotiv EPOC) and lifting a virtual rock just with his thought... a sort of virtual telekinesis!

These two things together picked my curiosity: I don't know anything about programming, but what if some of us could create a program that analyzes our brainwaves while we perform this "virtual telekinesis"? And maybe even create some kind of virtual training ground?

What do you think of it?

For the moderators: I know this Emotiv would perfectly suit the technological forums, but since it might possibly help people work on (some of) their psi skills, I think it might pick more than one person's interest here.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Sparhawk]

Several edits to correct typos

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Really neat stuff. They need some game vendors like EA or Bungee to support the headset.

I'm thinking about downloading the SDK and trying a few things out. I don't see anywhere though where it supports web-based applications or what languages the SDK supports.

Interesting though ..

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Indeed... much of their success will depend on publishers and software houses, should they decide to support and use this EPOC in their games or not...

I'm glad you found this thing interesting... Unluckly, as I said, I'm totally ignorant about programimng, or else I would be already trying to work on some "virtual psi" project: that's why I posted this news here, hoping that someone like you or other users could come up with some interesting and useful application.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well this is interesting you cna buy one now for 299.00

I think this is a very cool product.

Here are some videos to see what it does

This is IGN interview

Here is a guy playing angry birds with it

and here is a 4 year old using it

Very cool tech. i think I will get one for myself for christmas.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I've seen similar things were people have driven a car using these headsets that read the brainwaves.
The person driving was outside of the car on a seat.

They do work. Though I woulnd't ever trust anyone to drive on the roads with it. Just in a controlled evironment.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
We're getting closer and closer to BattleTech advancements!!

Neural engineering, particularly in the form brain-computer interfaces, is not uncommon in the BattleTech universe. Its principal application is the "neurohelmet", a device used in nearly all BattleMechs that gives the 'Mech's pilot the ability to control some aspects of the machine's behavior simply by thought. The neurohelmet provides balance information to the 'Mech to assist in walking and maneuvering. It also acts as a security device, limiting access to authorized users via alpha brain wave pattern recognition (many BattleMechs mentioned in the novels also incorporate more conventional security measures such as voice-recognition and personalised codes). Enhanced Imaging (EI) technology developed by the Clans uses a subdermal skein of wiring to grant better control over a machine.

More advanced neural engineering technologies include the experimental Direct Neural Interface (DNI), a system that provides a MechWarrior fuller mental control over a 'Mech than offered by a standard neurohelmet.[14] The system's potential for serious neurological damage to the MechWarrior prevented the technology from advancing beyond the prototype stage, though Vehicular Direct Neural Interface (VDNI) was later successfully deployed by the Word of Blake to create the "cyber-soldiers" of the Manei Domini.

Other applications of bionics range from prosthetic limbs, such as the hand of Justin Xiang,[14] to elective implants intended to improve strength or enhance the senses.[15] An extreme example of bionic augmentation was Captain-General Gerald Marik who in 2667 received extensive implants following a life-threatening injury.[16]

Taken from Wikipedia's BattleTech Technology web page.

For many years (11 to be exact) I played this game, and only this game. When the Xbox took control over the franchise is when I faded away from it, but the possibilities this RPG game placed in one's mind is what I liked about it... endless, innovative possibilities...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparhawk
Hi everyone, I was browsing the Internet and found a website that could pick many people's interest around here.

The website I'm referring to is EMOTIV.

I'm not going in too many details (just check the site and the footages there), but those guys there are developing a revolutionary interface, that will "intercept" our brainwaves, thoughts and emotions and transform them into inputs for our computers.

this is not the only device theres also a OCZ NIA I own one of these

Now, let's forget for a moment all the Matrix/Minority Report/Johnny Mnemonic stuff obviously connected to such an interface.

If you pay attention, you'll notice that Emotiv should be releasing a Software Development Kit.

OCZ NIA has had a SDK out for years and is also compatable with brainbay and a bunch of other SDKs

Moreover, in one of the footages, we can see a guy playing a videogame (released with the Emotiv EPOC) and lifting a virtual rock just with his thought... a sort of virtual telekinesis!

These two things together picked my curiosity: I don't know anything about programming, but what if some of us could create a program that analyzes our brainwaves while we perform this "virtual telekinesis"? And maybe even create some kind of virtual training ground?

What do you think of it?

the program you refer to is already part of the installation process I do program and could create a program to do it also but i dont understand what you hope to achieve the part of the brain that handles the thoughts related to lifting a virtual object have no relation to "psi skills" the part of the brain is the one that is assigned to it via the programing for example the thought process related to "glancing"

what may be of intrest to you is training "beta waves" which budest monks try to do
try to explain more what your idea is or something and ill respond back...

For the moderators: I know this Emotiv would perfectly suit the technological forums, but since it might possibly help people work on (some of) their psi skills, I think it might pick more than one person's interest here.

Several edits to correct typos

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Awesome. My mind has always been faster than my hands. cant wait for Call of duty 10 with this baby.

top topics

join