It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez calls for Russia alliance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Chavez calls for Russia alliance

news.bbc.co.uk

Hugo Chavez has called for a strategic alliance with Russia to protect Venezuela from the US.

The Venezuelan president's call came as Moscow and Caracas agreed to extend bilateral co-operation on energy.

Speaking during a two-day visit to Russia, Mr Chavez said oil and military cooperation were vital to guarantee Venezuela's sovereignty.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said three Russian energy companies are to be allowed to operate in Venezuela.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US general warns Russia on nuclear bombers in Cuba
Russian combat aircraft possibly returning to Cuba to counter missile shields

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

"If Russia's armed forces want to be present in Venezuela, they will be given a warm welcome," he told a news conference after the meeting.

The enemies of the USA are the friends of her counterpart.

The key is oil, Iran and Venezuela are both major producers.

Interesting and perhaps dangerous times lie ahead.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

the US should learn from history then.
or learn from the rules of the playground

people will always start to group together against a common threat
which in this day and age is the US

i wait now for the arsta cats to come in and call me Anti american
and the Usual complimentries

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
people will always start to group together against a common threat
which in this day and age is the US

The USA is not threatening the world, it is simply "protecting its interests".

In your above line, it could be argued that Russia is as much a common threat as the USA is.

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective.

The current oil crisis has exposed a major weakness in the USA, and that is how easily the US economy can be brought down by dependence on foreign oil.

Someone once told me "It's all about oil" and I am starting to believe it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Venezuela was never an 'enemy' of the US until the Bush administration and it's corporate partners made it so. The media is complicit in this game as well, tainting everything we see so we can't even imagine NOT being enemies with Venezuela.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

Its all about the chess game..as both countries fear us,they also think they need to move in where they can.30 billion dollars is a obscene about of money for one little country.Venezuela planned to purchase up to 10 air defense systems, three diesel electric submarines, six more non-nuclear powered submarines and several surface vessels. Venezuela also planned to discuss the possibility of buying certain aircraft, including combat helicopters

Angry at Bush, Russia considers closer Venezuela, Cuba ties

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
See The us places this missile shield in all former Warsaw countries and at Russias homefront just about.Its about the ego.They move 3 steps ahead.They place new missiles with destinations that beat the ABM's in Poland and the C Republic.They also maybe move bombers to Cuba.Now they want to move in on this small Venezuela country.Then Bush will go ahead and return med ranged missiles back to Europe and prolly place more missiles shields who knows where.This is simply a cold war that never went away.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
A related news report with more information...

Venezuela and Russia to Coordinate on Energy

www.nytimes.com...

MOSCOW — President Hugo Chávez of Venezuela and President Dmitri A. Medvedev of Russia declared Tuesday that their countries would more closely coordinate their actions on global oil and gas markets and that they would work together on foreign policy, a sphere in which both countries have sought to counter American influence.

Mr. Chávez, who was also expected to sign contracts to purchase more than $1 billion worth of Russian arms, called for the two nations to become “strategic partners” to defend against what he called an American threat to his country.

“That will guarantee the sovereignty of Venezuela, which the United States is now threatening,” Mr. Chávez said, according to the official Russian news agency RIA-Novosti, at the start of two days of planned meetings.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It seems to me that the US has taken its eye off of its own backyard and over extended itself. Leave a vacuum and someone like Russia or China will soon fill it.

[edit on 22/7/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I have never thought of my country as weak or vulnerable, it does seem to be looking that way.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Our Military is weak from being in these occupied 3 rd world countries way to long.This has cost of trillions of dollars and brought our economy in a recession.We some soldiers are doing 5-6 tours of Iraq for just the money alone.That tells the true story.

top topics

join