It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian combat aircraft possibly returning to Cuba to counter missile shields

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Russian combat aircraft possibly returning to Cuba to counter missile shields

en.rian.ru

Moscow has strongly opposed the possible deployment by the U.S. of 10 interceptor missiles in Poland and an accompanying radar in the Czech Republic as a threat to its national security. Washington says the defenses are needed to deter a possible strike from Iran, or other "rogue" states.

"While they are deploying the missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic, our strategic bombers will already be landing in Cuba," a high-placed military aviation source told the Izvestia newspaper.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-7-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Wow, that idea is sort of 'out there'. It's probably just chest-beating - it doesn't make too much sense, Russia and Cuba don't share the same ideology as the Cuban Missile Crisis days.

Although, it probably makes just as much as sense as the US putting missile shields to defend against imaginary missiles.

en.rian.ru

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

why don't they - even if Raul Castro is somehow a less pain in the *** for the US - the regime is still the same and relations to Russia are even better than 40 years ago.

Don't forget Cuba's dept to Russia (20-25 Billion USD). It sound like Russia has good cards to use Cuba (again) for their geopolitical goals.

As for the headline - it is really not very surprising, I even expected them to "go missile" and not just deploying some bombers.

Time will tell

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
What does all this fear mongering get them and us? Why do we like to cause fear in our people for? Personally, I am sick and tired of all this talk of war. I sick and tired of the wars going on overseas.

I’m tired of it. I’m tired of hearing how our governments is wanting to kill innocent people for no reason except to line their purses!!!!

Enough is Enough already. It’s time the leaders of the countries to stop acting like school yard bullies and grow up!!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I just still cant get it, why bush and his buddies think the Russians are so stupid?
Its like what you'd call TOTAL under estimation of your enemies and the fragile diplomatic ties you have with them.
Anyone with half a brain knows that a missile defense shield, next to Russia, is to deter an attack from RUSSIA.
It makes me wonder just from this lunacy, if these morons want to on purpose restart the cold war.For there own profit.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
good...

the russians should deploy subs,nukes and bombers in Cuba.

would give them excellent first strike capability to cripple the genocidal imperialist US empire

[edit on 21-7-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Interesting, the source seems to be a Russian news site, and the Russians are well known to control their media and press agencies most of which are actually state run.

This report could be meant as a message for the white house as much as the public.

A return to the Cuban missile crisis?

If they do return to Cuba with offensive military weaponry, realize that all it could take to spark WWIII would be a minor incident between Russian and US naval or aircraft.

I would hope that common sense plus the threat of mutually assured destruction would prevent WWIII, but with the way things have been going, who knows?

Maybe we should start having those duck and cover drills again?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

Heh, that's true. Most news from Rian seems to be military related.

They've just updated it here: en.rian.ru...

"I do not see anything wrong with it because nobody listens to our objections when they place airbases and listening posts near our borders," the general said.

If the US is going to expand its hardware on Russia's doorstep, this sort of talk is to be expected.

I can't imagine Russia suddenly deciding "hey, let's slap some 'missile shields' around America's borders just for the heck of it..." without a hefty response.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404

Wow, that idea is sort of 'out there'. It's probably just chest-beating - it doesn't make too much sense, Russia and Cuba don't share the same ideology as the Cuban Missile Crisis days.

Although, it probably makes just as much as sense as the US putting missile shields to defend against imaginary missiles.

en.rian.ru

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THIS CHEST BEATING AND ITS BS!

Now we have bombers in the crack of our *** that launch stealth nuclear cruise missles that can duck. And its chest beating. When the nukes start landing I guess thats chest beating too. The Russians will attack us if we poke them with a stick enough.

They are not dead, they are a very real threat and they can wipe you and your family off the face of this planet with ease. I hope I run into some of you nuts that thought this was chest beating when the bombs start dropping.

Wake the heck up already.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
1) It's a defence shield-not offensive.

2)There are only 10 missles per unit, two fired at each target.
That gives each base, the ability to shoot down 5 missiles.
With the 2 bases discussed, that gives the US the ability to shoot down 10 missiles.
Is that a real threat to Russia's 18,000 (source nuclear missiles, 2002 estimate.

(Oh no, the US shot down 10 of our missiles, we only have 17,990 left)

3) Putting bomber and fighters-offensive weapons IS NOT the same as a missile shield.

4) Personally, I would not mind them putting (2) similar base on Cuba. That means the same 10 missiles per base and the same 2 missiles per target. The US, as Russia, can easily afford to lose 10 missiles.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Reminds me of this

Its like a tennis match...

The US has been playing in Russia's back yard for a while now, both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now if you were a resource rich country, and you'd seen the steps the US has taken in recent years, and the US is proposing to put a missile shield in Europe that gives it a limited strike capability - and by that I mean it would be able to lob one or two missiles of its own and protect against anything but an all out response - you might be getting a little bit nervous.

I don't like the idea of tit for tat, but at the same time, I can see where they are coming from.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I can't agree with you.

If the US can shoot down 10 missiles, well, "D'UH", they can just as easily launch 12-15.

From there stockpile of 18,000+, come on.

Now, as far as the US playing in their background-true-, however, Russia is doing the same thing is South America.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by manson_322
good...

would give them excellent first strike capability to cripple the genocidal imperialist US empire

Ah.....Cuba.....Soon after it will be available for colonizing.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Thats not the point.

No one in their right mind is going to launch 12/15 nukes at once. Theres no way back from that at all. A 12/15 missile salvo would be interpreted as an all out attack, both sides would launch on warning. Game over.

But someone taking a slight risk might launch one, or two, especially if they think they can get away with it by intercepting an equally limited reprisal.

You see, thats where the fallacy of this missile sheild comes into play. Its NOT just a defensive system. Its a strategic weapon in its own right, because it opens up an area of limited theatre engagements that really wasn't there before.

Cat n Mouse with nukes. Think about it.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

Whoa there buddy. The Russians have a longer history of imperialism and genocide than the US does. And they even invaded Afghanistan first to boot.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

good...

Oh great!! that all we need, more busted up Russian equipment sinking to the bottom of the ocean. The gulf is polluted enough as it is.
Please think about the poor fish.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I don't know. I really cannot see the Russians playing this same old game again with Cuba. Even if they did, I'm sure they would back down just like last time. This is predicated on the assumption that the next President of the U.S. has a spine and some balls.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost in the midwest

good...

Oh great!! that all we need, more busted up Russian equipment sinking to the bottom of the ocean. The gulf is polluted enough as it is.
Please think about the poor fish.

like how soviet equipment used by india destroyed american equippment forces of pakistan during indo-pak war

Are you a parrot? Why do you keep repeating the same exact line in every thread in which you decide to grace us with your miniscule brain?

please prove thwe BS you post

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

please prove thwe BS you post

Please, just read any thread you are apart of which includes the U.S. and there is your proof. Why deny it? You know it's true.

I realize it's easy for you to bash another country as you hide in anonymity. What country are you from or are you to embarrassed to say? Is it India as your avatar suggests?

[edit on 21-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join