It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Speach by Barack Obama.......

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If you are voting for a guy because he is a good speaker why not vote for the guy that wrote the speach? he is the one with the good ideas not the talking head spouting them.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Did someone say they were voting for Obama because he's a good speaker? I missed it if they did.

Also, Obama is one person who is HIGHLY involved in the writing of his speeches.

Favreau and Obama rapidly found a relatively direct way to work with each other. "What I do is to sit with him for half an hour," Favreau explains. "He talks and I type everything he says. I reshape it, I write. He writes, he reshapes it. That's how we get a finished product.

"It's a great way to write speeches. A lot of times, you write something, you hand it in, it gets hacked by advisers, it gets to the candidate and then it gets sent back to you. This is a much more intimate way to work."

Some speeches are much more the product of the candidate himself. Obama e-mailed Favreau his draft of his announcement speech in Springfield, Ill., at 4 a.m. on the morning of the campaign launch last February.

Source

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ya know its funny BH... they think we are simplistic and they are the ones known as dittoheads.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Lloyd....maybe this ATS stuff is getting to you.....you sound paranoid.
Maybe the greys assimilated them both to a hive mind and they both have the same thoughts.....

IT"S CALLED AGREEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
reply to post by jam321

If you are voting for a guy because he is a good speaker why not vote for the guy that wrote the speach? he is the one with the good ideas not the talking head spouting them.

My point of view on this is because the persona is what counts during the speech.

You see, Obama's Constituencies desires are like the guy who wrote the speech. And Obama's ability to confidently and successfully give the speech is the analog to his ability to confidently and successfully represent us.

So yeah, it has a lot to do with HOW a person works a speech, not the fact that he wrote it or not. He is not being elected to come up with the ideas, he is being elected to execute the ideas which are representative of his constituency, so his ability to represent us is paramount.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

I looked to the left, I looked to the right but nowhere in sight did I find that I would vote for someone because they are a good speaker. I said to give the man his dues, he is no doubt articulate and knows how to grab attention.

There's things that irk me about Obama and McCain and I will point them out depending on the thread. There are some things that I like about Obama and McCain and I will give them their dues.

You could have some of the best speech writers in the world write your speech, but if you are not a good speech giver, it don't mean a thing. McCain and Bush are good examples of that.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

So Quazga, I would expect you to be a HUGE Ronald Reagan fan then right? He had quality speechwriters and hardly anyone could deliver a better speech than him.

I await your response.

What is Obama's underying vision for America?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
whether you like him or not, he is articulate and knows how to grab attention. As far as talking without a prompter or written speech, many people have difficulties doing this. Give the man his dues. I bet you McCain wish he was as articulate. I know I do.

If he were truly articulate, wouldn't he be able to do well in off the cuff venues? That doesn't seem to be the case. He does great in stump speeches, I'll give you that. But when he is in a heated debate or at a press conference, he stumbles badly. McCain seems to excel at small town hall style meetings, once Obama gets off track from his talking points, he starts wandering aimlessly.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Obama can speak, look good & poo gold for all I care he still isn't qualified to be commander & chief of our country. He flip flops to meet his needs not the American people's needs. His voting record is scary and his friends are mugshot villians. A stunning speech does nothing for me. Action speaks stronger than words. What has Obama done? Better yet! What does he say he's gonna do? Change for the better or worse? I'm sorry but this man is not our next president.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

If you don't know the answers to those questions, it's because you haven't searched them out. They are out there. I'm certainly not going to try to convince you who to vote for, but if you don't know where Obama stands on the issues and what his plans are for the future, it's your fault. He's not going to come up and knock on your door and tell you his "blueprint for change". If you don't know, it's because you haven't looked.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I agree with you that he isn't good at impromptu and that McCain is. There is no argument here. But Obama is very smart at not blurting out. Don't he always turn every event into a well rehearsed speech if possible? He realizes this is his weakness and tries to avoid it if possible.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Obama's strategy in the past was to discredit and attack his opponent. It didn't work, so this time around he tried the emotional route by appealing to peoples' emotions. It worked fine for awhile but the "Hope, Change and Unity" Mantra is starting to fade.

He is now forced to start addressing the issues more, but is like a fish out of water flopping all over the place. His weakness are the issues.

You will see that in the general election. He will get defensive and come across as a spoiled kid when he knows McCain is beating him. He will resort back to emotional appeal.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
"Yes", Barack Obama has great oratory skills as long as there's a teleprompter or written speech in front of him. Take those away, and this is what you really have..

Obama ad libbing it

[edit on 23-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

As someone who has been "on the road" quite a bit, I know what the effects of lack of sleep are. And he is exactly right when he justifies this with that statement.

It's happened to me. I call it "dropping packets" in regards to a network interface that is saturated. It's how it feels anyhow when it happens.

I'm sure the campaign trail can stretch anyone to the limit.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

As someone who has been "on the road" quite a bit, I know what the effects of lack of sleep are. And he is exactly right when he justifies this with that statement.

It's happened to me. I call it "dropping packets" in regards to a network interface that is saturated. It's how it feels anyhow when it happens.

An honest question.. Why all the excuses for this guy? This isn't the first time he's gaffed without a teleprompter. When done by his opponent it's senility, when done by Barack it's exhaustion. that's a double standard in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

That is a rather poor analogy.

The other Candidates pretty-much go through the same exhaustion. Obama is no exception. Quit making excuses for the guy.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Wow! You sound just like me!!

Seriously, Obama does use a lot of "uuhh"s and pauses and his natural speech is kind of stop-and-start, but one thing I noticed is, if you take out all the staccato, he doesn't just talk in full sentences, he talks in complete paragraphs! He's brilliant. His mind is working ahead of his mouth so far that I'm not too surprised he stumbles now and then.

Most of the time he does just fine. This idea that he can't speak without a teleprompter is just wishful thinking and sour grapes.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

Originally posted by Quazga

An honest question.. Why all the excuses for this guy? This isn't the first time he's gaffed without a teleprompter. When done by his opponent it's senility, when done by Barack it's exhaustion. that's a double standard in my opinion.

Actually I agree that these types of things are non issues, if that is what you are stating.

Personally, and I'm being very honest here, I don't trust anyone in washington right now. I really do think that Obama has superior diplomatic skills and I can't help but be inspired by him everytime I see him speak. I know that sounds crazy, but it is my gut response.

I don't hate McCain at all. Matter of fact, I respect him for a lot of reasons. I honestly feel that he is out of touch. I can't say he is, but that is the gut reaction I get when I see him speak.

I'm not like some people who turn off tube when their candidates opponent is speaking. I want to hear what they have to say, who they say it to, and how they say it. So I can get that feel.

End the end, I've never felt about a candidate the way I feel about my impression of Obama. I'm eager to vote this year, and never have been. It's still a great experiment we have going on here in the US, and I'd like to see us shake up the beaker.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Btw

How do those dogs like the heat out in New Mexico?

They are beautiful, but I would think they'd get hot quick out there.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Wow! You sound just like me!!

Of course she does, you are both drinking the Obama Kool-aid

This post was no less on topic than Quazanga's last post about the dogs and New Mexico.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join