It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLICE: Are they getting stupider?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Please don't take me wrong here. I have much respect for our men in blue who truly protect and serve. I've had several friends who were hard working police people. They just wanted to keep the peace and make sure everyone was okay.

However over the past couple of years I've noted that is seems the IQs of the new police, the rookies, have been getting borderline retarded. Mind you this is only from the small amonuts of interactions I have, or others I know have with police.

A perfect example is this: I know this guy who lives in a retirement community. This guy I know was sent to check on another man who had not been seen for several days. The guy I know knocked on the guys door and found it was open, and because the AC had not been working for those days, knew right away the man he had to check on had been dead for those days. When he reported it to police the rookie cop ask the man I know why he didn't try doing CPR on the dead man.

Could hire of less then smart cops be a new trend because of some plans or plots in the works?

Think about it, nothing like giving a stupid police force an order to shoot unarmed public or arrest, or some sort of order against the public that a smart cop would question.

Are the police getting stupider? And is this a sign of things to come?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Yeah I agree.The newer cops these days are trained not to think for themselves but just DO as they have been instructed like a robot.
Also the maximum IQ levels for some police agencies has been lowered.
Thats something I cant understand is that if you have over a certain IQ you cant join the police.
There excuse is well you will get bored with the job and leave because your mind needs to much stimulation and then we waste our money training you.
But this leaves a whole new recruited force of people that lack logical thought structure and can only respond to orders.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 20/7/08 by Being_From_Earth]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Being_From_Earth
Thats something I cant understand is that if you have over a certain IQ you cant join the police.

Its because intelligent people usually get bored quickly doing repetitive stuff.

Having a high IQ is not needed for a police officer. They just follow orders. Having a high EQ may be. They deal with people every day after all and its important to know how to calm different sorts of people down and how to get information from them without resorting to violence.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think you're right for sure even in 2000 they're wereplenty dumb cops! 11-14 black people were killed due to the police mistaking things in their hands for guns e.g the t.v remote control, a hair clip and a Mars Bars. Also I'm not sure where in America but one guy took this test that many businesses give their possible new employees to see if their A. Smart enough for the job and B. if they'd get job satisfaction. The guy trying out to be a cop and got 28 to be a cop you had to get 20-24 and to be an insurance salesman you had to be 25-29. Now I'm not sure, but no matter where I live I want to have cops who are smarter than salesmen!!! And because he got too high of a score he didnt get the job!

Peace and love, K.W!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

did the ` finder ` tell the police that advanced peutrefaction had occured ?

it sounds to me more like poor comms and lack of propper info than " poice stupidity "

the checklists that you think are retarded do infact have vital uses - nd if say a body was found at say 11am - and later analysis indicated time of death to be bewtween 10 am and noon - it would be a very valid question why CPR was not initiated

rushing to judgement leads to mistakes - and just cos the aircon was off and there was a nasty smell - it does not AUTOMATICALLY mean its coming from the body

you check the ` corpse ` really is dead - and that the smell is eminating from it - or at least you should

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

The answer to your question is "yes". LE can't help that though. They draw from the same employment pool as everyone else. This is what the schools/universities/colleges are turning out. This is what they have to choose from.

If you don't like the calibre of people you're seeing, you should be looking in the direction of the nearest classroom. The culprit sits behind the little red apple.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
HAHA, don't get me started on dumb police. It seems like the dumber they get, the bigger their power trip gets. I remember police seriously not being at all like the way they are now.

For example, when I was about 9 or 10, me and a bunch of kids were playing football in the parking lot of a church up the street. This caused some old lady in the neighborhood to call the police, because I guess it's private property. So the police came, and not only did they not make a big deal, they played football with us for about ten minutes before leaving.

Alright, now fast forward 8 years to about four years ago. My 11 year old brother is in the backseat, and I'm in the passenger seat, and another family member is driving the car. We're all wearing seatbelts, and doing the speedlimit. My brother hands me a cd from the backseat, and I put it in the cd player. As soon as this happens, a cop behind us decides to pull us over. He makes me and my uncle stay in the car, and practically pulls my little brother out of the car. He searches all my brothers pockets while asking him for information. After he finds out that my brother is 11 and practically in tears, the officer still continues to ask him for ID and his social security number. None of us understand. So then he comes to my window, and asks for my purse and I give it to him, and he dumps out my entire purse on the hood of the car. There's almost nothing in there except 3 years worth of change, 7 chapsticks, chewed up gum disposed of in kleenex, and tampons. Then he finally says that he saw my brother hand me something as soon as he got behind us, and he wants to know where we put it. I try to explain to him about the cd, but he doesn't believe me, and insists on searching the car. We just let him. But we were at the mall and he went through all the bags, every item, my brother bought some skateboard shoes with his birthday money, and he tore the box apart. Eventually finding nothing, but he still gives us a warning, like we're criminals even though he didn't find a single incriminating thing in our car. And he didn't even put the crap back in any of the bags or the stuff in my purse.

Now, about two years after that I was 7 months pregnant, and this group of nine people gathered around me and wouldn't let me go in my house, led by this really psycho girl Shana, who's only real problem with me was that she was insanely jealous that some guys she liked liked me even though I was in a seriously relationship and pregnant and like 3 years older. But she rounded up a bunch of guys to come to my house. This kid wrote me some lame letter and she wanted it. It didn't really mean anything to me, so I went in the house to get it because I was pregnant and I just wanted them to leave. While I was in there I called the police and told them my situation, and they didn't come for over two hours, only to ask me questions like what did I do to them. The funniest thing though was the last thing this jerk said was "Which way did they go?" and all I can think of was those old school cartoons-"which way did he go George?" hah.

Then in November my little family moved to a new apartment, but the guy that lived here before me is wanted for something, and they've been here at least three times looking for him. And they bang on the door and yell up, and it's been twice at 8am and once at 10pm, and they bring like three police cars every time. Plus the guy in the building next to mine was dating a minor, and the family pressed charges, and the guy moved away. But twice they accidentally came to my apartment looking for him-AND TRIED TO PLAY IT OFF LIKE THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE RIGHT. TWICE! They look like idiots.

It's like a third of the police are trying to make normal people look like criminals, another third is taking too much time helping people that need help, and the last batch can't get house numbers right or remember where they've already been.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have a question; If you think cops are getting "Stupider" then why is it so hard to get hired in for most people? Almost zero tolerance for past drug use, automatic disqual for certain drug use, Polygraph testing, intensive background checks, Psych test, AND intensive review board. That of course is before the Academy.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

Are you somehow under the illusion that those "tests" prove anything or make them worthy somehow to have power over others?
Yeah, the Germans has such tests, one might argue such tests for social services came from the Germans under Hitler.

Sure, tests seem to sudgest to the tester traits that such testers might be looking for.

As for them being somehow worthy because they "fit in", some of the biggest freaks are the most "normal". They are normal because they fear being their selves. They will think about ripping your guts out but never do it nor never say so, and thus they get the stamp of approval.

Maybe good for you. I'd rather have someone that's going to speak their mind even if it is in off colored remarks.

Your Tests, (mankind), Prove Nothing. I should know! I failed every one.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
reply to

As for them being somehow worthy because they "fit in", some of the biggest freaks are the most "normal". They are normal because they fear being their selves. They will think about ripping your guts out but never do it nor never say so, and thus they get the stamp of approval.

Maybe good for you. I'd rather have someone that's going to speak their mind even if it is in off colored remarks.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Incarnated]

So what you are saying is that you would rather have cops speaking their minds, and acting out their thoughts?

You would rather have a cop shoot you down because he is having a bad day rather than him/her thinking of shooting you because your a twurp?

Those tests are to weed people out that make bad judgments, liars, etc

[edit on 20-7-2008 by 38181]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
So what you are saying is that you would rather have cops speaking their minds, and acting out their thoughts?

You would rather have a cop shoot you down because he is having a bad day rather than him/her thinking of shooting you because your a twurp?

Those tests are to weed people out that make bad judgments, liars, etc

Then those tests are failing mankind.

I was born with a superhigh idealisim of self imposed moral system. I was also born in a Police State. A police state is a state in the union that alows agressive policing tactics. Several of those cops projected upon me a taint of criminalization according to this personal bias. That's not right, that is WRONG.

In our actions we push or pull others to act. Some Police are making criminals with their actions. I'm sure there was a few people like me in all but their will to do "right" who were pushed into being criminals by those who are suposed to stop crimes.

However this digressed from the point of the thread.

The point of the thread is I've seen a stead decrease in the ability to make sound judgements by the people put over the population as a police force. This isn't an attack on every police person.

However my attempt was to start a thread playing with the conspiracy theory that a gastapoesk movement in the police force seems to be taking place.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
I have a question; If you think cops are getting "Stupider" then why is it so hard to get hired in for most people? Almost zero tolerance for past drug use, automatic disqual for certain drug use, Polygraph testing, intensive background checks, Psych test, AND intensive review board. That of course is before the Academy.

I have a better question, how can someone who says "stupider" which not preferred language call cops "stupider" ("more stupid" anyone?)? Most cops aren't stupid, cops are just never taught to deal with their power.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
Most cops aren't stupid, cops are just never taught to deal with their power.

Stupid is a statement of perspective. A retard could call a "normal" A+ student stupid because the "genus" doesn't know something about life that the retard figured out.

Stupid is a lackluster term, i'll give you that. Also you're right about never being taught to deal with their power. Maybe that's suposed to be covered under their tests too?

However stupid and stupider is perfectly respectable uses in the context of this thread.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Dude look at the title, see where I put "stupider" in quotes?

To the OP, can you be more specific when you say, "IQs of the new police, the rookies, have been getting borderline retarded." Do you have any substatial evidence to back up your statement? I am really curious to see where you get this from.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
their defo becoming dumber for letting me go after i chosen someone with a knife when its inllegal in the uk. very very dumb but it works.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by deathpoet69]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Not that they are dumb. The system believes everything they say. Your friend is lucky he wasn't arrested for "something".

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by IncarnatedIn our actions we push or pull others to act. Some Police are making criminals with their actions. I'm sure there was a few people like me in all but their will to do "right" who were pushed into being criminals by those who are suposed to stop crimes.

I understand that this wasn't the intent of your thread, but seeing that you, the OP, wrote this, I will take the liberty to inject my opinion regarding your statement.

No one is responsible for the choices another "intelligent" (excluding young children and those with the mental capacity of young children) person makes. YOU are ALWAYS responsible for your reaction to another person's action and cannot blame that on someone else.

So, I disagree with your statement that some police are making criminals with their actions.

If I agreed, then I could blame you for other posters lack of good grammar usage.

There seems to be a need among this board to blame all authority for the bad things going on in the world, when I see just as many of the common citizens contributing to the problems to at least to an equal degree.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have noticed that more intelligent people are not attracted to the police or government service for the most part. Those who seek power over others are often of common or below average intellect and seek power in order to make up for these short comings and feel superior to others.

Many in the police are sadist and join for the fact that they are more likely to have a chance to beat or humiliate another person and do so under the protection of the law because in their soul they are cowardly and spiteful people.

This is not to say that all are of such a nature but those who fit the above description are certainly in large numbers represented within the police, and political power structure.

The only possible cure for this would be to make professional police service obsolete. If the US returned to the more traditional form of policing the republic we would select watch-captains from the citizenry by election just as a sheriff is elected at the county level so would watch captains from each precinct be elected to protect a given area. They could then be removed from office by a call for a referendum vote when they abuse someones rights. There should be no police that are unelected thugs hired to enforce a police state over any part of the republic.

At the state level the same would go for state police captain. This would not be an appointed flunky of a potentially corrupt politician, the state police captain would be then removed from office by a vote of no confidence by the citizens of the state if he is found violating the law or for not watching over his men adequately. This would remove political protection to police that are appointed. The same would work for the national level of police as well. I personally think there should not be a national police as it is not the central government's role as outlined in the constitution to rule over the states with any law other than the constitution itself which has no provisions for a national police state enforcement arm.

[edit on 9/2/2008 by UFOTECH]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join