It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kucinich To Investigate Surveillance of Protest Groups!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Kucinich To Investigate Surveillance of Protest Groups!

rawstory.com

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), who has figured prominently in recent political news for his attempts to begin impeachment hearings against President George W. Bush, today announced that the congressional subcommittee he chairs will look into reports of peace groups being surveilled by police and private investigators.

"[M]ost people would be upset to know that police were spying on lawful citizens and infiltrating peaceful organizations, rather than chasing down real criminals," said Kucinich in a press release
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
BLESS THIS MAN.

In an ever corrupt and criminal gov spinning out of control, this guy and Ron Paul seem to be the only two heros we the "little people" have left fighting for us in our gov.

The epitome of irony is how both of these individuals were completely blacklisted and ridiculed by our cess pool Corpomedia.

So now the "Megacorps" are hiring cops and P.I.'s to spy on and infiltrate anti-war protesters. Gee, I wonder why they would do that? NOT!

Gotta protect those war-profiteering interests! No dissent allowed!

Go get em Dennis! We're rooting for you!!

"I want the subcommittee to determine how widespread these activities are and who ordered them," the Ohio Democrat and former presidential candidate said.

Kucinich chairs the House Domestic Policy Subcommittee of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

The press release referred to reports that Maryland state police officers infiltrated peace and anti-death penalty groups and that private investigators working on behalf of "several large corporations" had surveilled environmental groups.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich.

Two diminutive, somewhat nerdy-looking men.

Put them together and you have the 4 biggest huevos in congress.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
apple have you seen dennis's wife!? If I was a castrated eunich on harem duty that woman would give me a rise somewhere.
Dennis is to Cleveland like George is to the yankees.
Don't dis the little fellow.

[edit on 7/18/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

DANG!

I had no idea. She could make a dead man ____. I say that in a non-covetous way, of course.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yeah, Dennis was my first choice in the Dem primaries. The only one with the stones to openly call for impeachment when Pelosi (I think she's either being blackmailed or her family threatened; there's no other logical explanation for her cowardice and lack of activity) took it "off the table". He's also the only one with a sound plan for universal health care (expand Medicare, with its low overhead, to anyone who wants it, and let it compete in the open market with the private health care providers) and the only one who would have entered the White House with the intent to immediately end the Iraq occupation and get our troops on planes and ships to come home right now.

And that's precisely why he didn't have a chance in Hell of winning either the nomination or the Presidency.

Americans don't really want solutions. They want slick ad campaigns and bad popularity contests.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by The Nighthawk]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Oh Boy...This could get down right ugly. Seems the ACLU has uncovered documents detailing this sickening spying, surveillance, and infiltration operation being waged against anti-war activists. More "homeland security" abuses and intimidation of the populace!

ACLU Releases Documents Detailing Police Monitoring

The documents show that for 14 months, the state police Homeland Security and Intelligence Division used covert agents to infiltrate the Baltimore Pledge of Resistance, a peace group, the Coalition to End the Death Penalty (CEDP), and the Committee to Save Vernon Evans, a death row inmate, the ACLU said.

Goering sent a letter to Gov. Martin O'Malley on Thursday asking for an immediate end to the surveillance. The group also wants a ban on sharing existing files with other law enforcement agencies, the withdrawal of the information from databases, a public accounting of the surveillance of peaceful protest activities, the notification of individuals who have been monitored and the opportunity for those monitored to view their files.

Rocah said he hopes the governor and other state officials "would be as troubled as we are and, as I suspect most Marylanders are, to learn this is happening," calling the surveillance "intolerable in a Democratic society."

Full Article:

ap.google.com...

[edit on 19-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So this is now our new reality. The terrorists at home resisting all the BS that has gone on in this country for the last eight years. See ya at the farm.
Or not. Sure I will be first on the list for automatic disembowler.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's the people at home that are the biggest threat to the ones in power, not some bunch of alleged bogeymen sitting in a cave somewhere thousands of miles away.
This story is, I think, just the tip of the iceberg in this sort of case and I have seen stories going back a couple of years at least of similar infiltrations of peaceful groups, made up of citizens concerned with what the government is doing. Of course, they justify it, or try, using the excuse of possible homegrown terrorism and radicalisation of the population as a threat to national security.
Not so much national security as their own necks I think!

I foresee a whole lotta shreddin' goin' on.

Seriously, those who ordered the infiltrations and surveillance need to be made accountable.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I could not agree with you more Brittguy. It's been like a heavily laden locomotive coming down the tracks. And, here it roars.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Seems the ACLU has uncovered documents detailing this sickening spying, surveillance, and infiltration operation being waged against anti-war activists.

I don't doubt there is surveillance and infiltration of anti-war activist groups, but I would hesitate to trust anything the ACLU has to say, the way they spin it and their agenda overall.

From ACLU's website, under "About Us: Staff & Leaders":

Nadine Strossen, President of the ACLU
Anthony D. Romero, Executive Director

Source

From Wikipedia:

Nadine Strossen (born August 18, 1950) is the current president of the American Civil Liberties Union. She is the first woman and the youngest person to ever lead the ACLU. A professor at New York Law School, Professor Strossen also sits on the Council on Foreign Relations.

Source

From The Notable Names Database:

Anthony Romero
Executive summary:
ACLU Executive Director
University: Woodrow Wilson School of Public Policy, Princeton University (1987)
Law School: Stanford University Law School
American Civil Liberties Union Executive Director (2001-present)
Ford Foundation Program Officer, Civil Rights and Racial Justice (5 years)
Rockefeller Foundation (two years)
Council on Foreign Relations
Inter-American Dialogue
Puerto Rican Ancestry

Source

So the top two leaders of the ACLU have seats in the Council on Foreign Relations, the think tank group, whose members have included Zbigniew Brzezinski, George H. W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Henry Kissinger, David Rockefeller and Paul Warburg, just to name a few, and has played a critical role in policy making since its inception, including, but certainly not limited to, the crack down on freedoms in the United States since September 11th, 2001 that the ACLU is allegedly against?

And we're supposed to trust the ACLU?

Sorry. The membership process for the CFR is too detailed and too difficult that only those have some benefit to, or have done some special favor for "them" can make it through.

An understatement of these two ACLU leaders would be "suspicious". A more correct and appropriate term, in my opinion, would be "criminal".

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I need to read rawstory more, I had no idea. One thing is for certain, Kucinich pimps the style. I'm serious, that man does work for the people!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
He is a people's politician. He led the city of Cleveland into default because CEI, the coporate conglomerate, wanted to deep six Muny Light. The city owned electric power company. And take over the market.
He is like the John Denver of politics. I'd follow that guy anywhere. A bit eccentric, but who isn't.
I'm quite certain he was offered a very lucrative prize package that he rejected.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Anyone hear of Anonymous, the Internet collective thats becoming famous for its pranks and its protests of Scientology? There is an article about the group in the latest Maxim.

I know some people who consider themselves members of the group and who organize and take part in some of the protests. One of these guys, who is a 21 year old student, was being investigated by the FBI (as were other organizers) to determine the source of their funding. The funny thing is, what little money the group has just comes from member donations.

So we have a group protesting a cult that perpetrated the largest ever infiltration of the US government, and the government is investigating the protest group. Ironic.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediSeraph797
Anyone hear of Anonymous, the Internet collective thats becoming famous for its pranks and its protests of Scientology? There is an article about the group in the latest Maxim.

I know some people who consider themselves members of the group and who organize and take part in some of the protests. One of these guys, who is a 21 year old student, was being investigated by the FBI (as were other organizers) to determine the source of their funding. The funny thing is, what little money the group has just comes from member donations.

So we have a group protesting a cult that perpetrated the largest ever infiltration of the US government, and the government is investigating the protest group. Ironic.

Not that I necessarily disagree with Anon's position on Scientology, Anon members did choose to start their protests by making a real-life "cyber-attack". Hate to tell you this, but that kind of activity is like begging to be investigated as possible terrorists. Yeah, it may have seemed like a "prank" at the time, but that kind of crap is taken very seriously these days.

Should the Gov be investigating the CoS? Absolutely. Maybe they are. Knowing how the CoS fights back like rabid weasels against any threat I'd expect any such investigation to be as deep-cover as possible. If they knew they were under serious scrutiny they'd close ranks so fast you'd never get any useful evidence.

And frankly there's a huge difference between spying on a groups like CoS, who have actively attempted espionage against the US Government and groups like Anonymous who have used actual cyber-attacks against their foe, and spying on groups who just want to get together and protest an illegal war--or, for that matter, the opposition parties.

In fact I'm of the opinion that's why we've seen so little action from this Democratic Congress--I'd bet my last dime this spying program has been used against every single one of them by the Neo-Cons and their cronies, and they're holding major dirt over their heads in exchange for a free ride on their acts of treason.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This unreal So now "anti-war" = Anti government TERRORISM?!?

These people are being entered in the fed database as TERRORISTS! How screwed up our entire system has become...

Maryland Police Infiltrated Activist Groups, Turned Over Information to Feds, Listed Citizens in Database as Committing Anti-War and Anti-Government Terrorism

ACLU attorney David Rocah said state police violated federal laws prohibiting departments that receive federal funds from maintaining databases with information about political activities and affiliations.

The activist was identified as Max Obuszewski. His “primary crime” was entered into the database as “terrorism - anti govern(ment).” His “secondary crime” was listed as “terrorism - anti-war protestors.” The database is known as the Washington-Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, or HIDTA.

“This is not supposed to happen in America,” said Mr. Rocah. “In a free society, which relies on the engagement of citizens in debate and protest and political activity to maintain that freedom … you should be able to attend a meeting about an issue you care about without having to worry that government spies are entering your name into a database used to track alleged terrorists and drug traffickers.”

Full article

cryptogon.com...

[edit on 20-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

top topics

join