It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Will Not Leave Afghanistan in 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It is generally believed that Canada will end it's military involvement in Afghanistan in 2011. This was reported by the Harper administration.

www.cbc.ca...

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has unveiled a new motion with a hard end date of 2011 for Canada's military mission in Afghanistan, a move aimed at bridging the gap between the Conservatives and Liberals.

It is now apparent that Canada will not leave Afghanistan in 2011, and may be preparing for a decade long occupation. A source has informed me that the DND has contracted for $1 billion of infantry small arms. Delivery will commence in 2011 and continue until at least 2023. This contract is not public knowledge so I cannot name my source or the company but I'm sure weapons experts can figure out the manufacturer of the weapon.

This is the weapon:

Here is a recent news item that appears to be corroborate my source:

www.canada.com...

OTTAWA - Conservative and Liberal senators cast doubt Wednesday that Canada will be able to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan by 2011 as planned.

Kenny said that if Canadians could be shown measurable progress they would be more willing to allow their troops to stay longer in Afghanistan.

Earlier this week, Afghan President Hamid Karzai said he expected western troops will be needed in his country for another 10 years.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they show us as 'measurable progress.' And whether or not it will be enough to win over Canadians to an extension of the mission. Of course, we'd better keep our 'propoganda detectors' on high alert. I don't really trust governments to tell us the truth about what's going on over there.

It certainly looks like the secret plans have already been drawn up. When they are revealed to the general public, I can't say.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
They just want to win something so they figure they can win Afghanistan....poor Afghans will they ever have the courage to marry again or just fear being bombed?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

If your statement is meant to disparage the Canadian military then I think you are way off base. Canadian Forces have a very respectable record when it comes to fighting and winning battles since at least WWI.

You're right in that the Afghans don't seem to have much to look forward to in the future.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
LOL-they may be there longer than the Americans! Poor b@stards.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I know this is an old post, but since it's in the news again, I feel it's relevant to post here.

My source has proven to be reliable. The prediction is coming true. Canadian troops will remain in Afghanistan past 2011. Doesn't really make a difference if they are not in active combat roles. They are preparing for a long occupation.

www.cbc.ca...

The new mission will still contain troops, but its focus will be reconstruction. In the government's view, this new mission should be called a development mission — not a military mission — whether or not it contains troops.

Over the past two weeks there has been intense speculation about the future of the mission, initiated in part by the Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

MacKay suggested on three separate occasions over the past two weeks there might be a role for troops in Kandahar post-2011, while at the same time maintaining, "the military mission would end."

Those comments caused a minor furor in the House of Commons with angry opposition questions and blistering government retorts.

NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar on Friday asked the government to be more clear.

"We have one minister, minister MacKay, saying we're going to be there after 2011, there will be a role for the military. We have the prime minister and other ministers — minister [Lawrence] Cannon — getting up and saying, it's all over in 2011.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hardly shocking and certainly not a partisan issue (unless you blindly follow the jack in the box politics of used car salesman and uber douche Jack Layton). Afghanistan will never succeed, history gracefully acknowledges that fact. The US needs this war to artificially pump a sagging economy and of course to keep the CIA's candy flowing.

Canada has no business there, imho, and they have and will continue to pay for it with lost fathers, mothers, brother, sisters, etc. all in the name of what exactly? I certainly don't disparage the troops however this is the job that they signed on the dotted line for. Sounds like anyone who has any future military aspirations really needs to sit down and think long and hard about their priorities.

Let the amerikans get their own house in order and spill their own blood.

brill

[edit on 11-10-2009 by brill]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

I couldn't have said any better than you, so I wont even bother trying.

Well done.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I was going to do a thread on this recently with the new developments.

We are NOT leaving Afghanistan in '11. No way no how. They don't make announcements like this...

Canadian Forces Base Gagetown is getting a $20 million shot in the arm

The investment is taking the form of funding for infrastructure projects that include the extension of the existing Health Services Centre, the construction of a Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV) III training facility and the creation of a forward operating bivouac.

dailygleaner.canadaeast.com...

You don't build replica FOB, due to be completed in late '10, if you are leaving that Theatre of Operations less than six month's later. It doesn't state it in the article but I have heard McKay and Peter Stoffer both say that it will be an exact replica of a FOB used by Canada in Helmand and Kandahar.

Canada won't leave. The Government, regardless of who is holding the big chair now or in the future, doesn't want to loose our first offensive combat mission in over two generations.

We are there for the long haul and frankly, that sucks.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
Canada won't leave. The Government, regardless of who is holding the big chair now or in the future, doesn't want to loose our first offensive combat mission in over two generations.

We are there for the long haul and frankly, that sucks.

Agreed...
The Russians couldn't beat them and they didn't play near as nice as we do.
Time to go...maybe we can drop Steve off to finish the job, if it's so important to him.

top topics

join