Obama embarrassed by Americans who can’t speak two languages.
OY!!! This Obama ..
This story was on TV this morning. I looked for a MSM outlet that would have links with the video or with quotes. I didn’t find any. (no
surprise) What I found were these. They have the video and quotes of what was on TV this morning.
is carrying this.
Blog carrying the story
has a video.
Obama quote #1 – “Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English -- they'll learn English -- you need to make sure your child
can speak Spanish.”
My response -
- LEGAL immigrants have to know a certain amount of English to get into this country. However, the ILLEGALS are a different story. His comment –
they’ll learn English – is completely misleading and false.
- OF COURSE we should all be worried about immigrants (legal and illegal) learning English. The fact that so many can’t is a drag on our economy
and a hardship for them as well as the rest of us.
- Not all immigrants to this country speak Spanish. There are MANY different immigrants coming to this country.
- What if my kid doesn’t want to learn Spanish? (she does … and is). English is the official language of this country and is ‘THE”
international language (not French). She shouldn’t have to learn it if she doesn’t want to.
- NEWSFLASH to Obama … Most schools have foreign language programs. In our town we can pick Spanish, French, Italian, or Greek. Most schools where
we live (and have lived) REQUIRE it.
Obama quote #2 – ” You know, it's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And
then we go over to Europe, and all we can say [is], "Merci beaucoup." Right? “
WRONG Obama. My Response -
- MANY Americans speak foreign languages just fine. And even if there are those who travel and don’t speak the native language, it means nothing.
We are NOT Europeans. We don’t want to be. We are Americans.
- The Euros that speak English and French and German do so because they have little countries all stuck together and they travel from little country
to little country so it makes sense for them to know 3 or 4 languages. America is NOT built that way. We speak English. So does most of Canada.
Mexico speaks Spanish and most schools in America offer Spanish.
This is just more eurocentricism and elitism from Obama, either that or he must not realize that most schools in America offer foreign languages and
many even require it.
edited right away to fix links
[edit on 7/9/2008 by FlyersFan]