It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods, Threads, hows it all work ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm just curious...

How do mods work ? are specific moderators assigned to specific kinds of threads, or do they just assign themselves as they please..?

And whats the difference between a super moderator and a normal forum moderator ?

How does one become a mod in the first place ? any special skills needed, do you simply apply ? do they get paid ?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Soldier Of Darkness
I'm just curious...

How do mods work ? are specific moderators assigned to specific kinds of threads, or do they just assign themselves as they please..?

Forum mods are assigned to certain forums. Nothing required.

And whats the difference between a super moderator and a normal forum moderator ?

All staffers are pretty much equal. Supers actually are here to assist the forum mods. They have mojo in all forums.

How does one become a mod in the first place ?

First off, don't ask to be one. Secondly mods are chosen because of their dedication to the board.

any special skills needed

Yes, you have to have an extremely thick skin.

do they get paid ?

We don't get paid monetarily. We do enjoy the fact that we are helping the membership get the most they can out of ATS. We also get more than our fair share of grief.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Ah, well thanks for the info...

Not asking to be a mod tho, i really would not have the time to do something like that, it would however be fun to warn or ban people

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Ah, well thanks for the info...

Not asking to be a mod tho, i really would not have the time to do something like that, it would however be fun to warn or ban people

Oh, I forgot that perk.

Seriously? It's much more rewarding to have a new member come in not knowing the standards that we have here and help them become good contributing members. THAT feels really good.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

it would however be fun to warn or ban people

It really isn't. At least I don't think so and I think I can speak for most of the staff and say that they don't like it either.

We'd much rather hand out applause and tell someone they've done a good job

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hey, i tell people to keep it civil too...sometimes...ok, well just once, and that was 5 minutes ago

Tell me tho, if you ban someone, whats to stop him from simply creating another email address and another ATS account ?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Tell me tho, if you ban someone, whats to stop him from simply creating another email address and another ATS account ?

Happens all the time. Most of the people that we ban are past banned members. Seems like they can't live without ATS and can't help their own posting habits. Those that come back and post to the T&C are more than welcome though. It's not our job to ban people, it's to keep the board clean for those that post to the T&C.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I suppose eventually they would get tired of thinking up new names for email addresses

Well, i love ATS, i am on here every single day, perhaps one day i'll be a mod, not likely tho, don't think i have the right temper for it

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It's been answered...but really, banning/warning people is not fun.

We all started out as members. We all enjoy the destination ATS has become for intelligent conversation.

I personally find that the most enjoyment I get is through the "Thank Yous" I get for helping people.

The thank yous are most important...because then I can reasonably assume that ATS is more of a collaboration and discussion center for that which is our world.

ATS should never be the focal point...it is our politicians and our imposed upon ideals.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
All Mods are members first and foremost, no different from the rest of the rabble.
But some members have a few more buttons on their side panel that allows them to exert some control over the boards.
Though it's control that maintains the smooth running of the boards for all members, including those that take on the added responsibility of being Moderators.

In a sense every member is a Mod if you take the time to report problems with the boards they haven't caught yet or you hit the "alert" button when a post is out of line or against the T&C of ATS.

I feel it's important for every member to try and maintain the high standards this unique community has maintained on the web.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hey Mods and Super Mods...Can I un-ignore someone?
Someone mad me angry and I hit the ignore button but, I would rather not.

Can I change it?

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Manage Ignores

You can delete ignores there.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Is there a Mods only section we mere mortals can't see? A staff section so to speak.
I would've guessed so myself, somewhere you all get together to discuss Moddy type things.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Thank you! There was someone on there I do not recall ignoring. LOL
You Mods are great thanks.

Always a helpful lot.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

You Mods are great thanks.

I'm not a mod.

But I'm still great.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jibbs
Is there a Mods only section we mere mortals can't see?

Yes, of course there are Mod only sections.
An "alert" goes to a Mod only forum for them to review and they have a chat room that only Mods can talk in.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

uhhh Where.... what..... why....

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Thanks for that. Is this the place where wanna be Mods hang out?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh...my bad.....you have helped me before, so in my mind you were a Mod. LOL

So thank you for your help, I much appreciate it and you are great!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I think he's talking about that special room where we all dance naked and chant "You Know What" and stick pins in dolls with certain member's names written on them.

Oops, am I on the real board???????

top topics

<<   2 >>

join