It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe votes on anti-piracy laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Europe votes on anti-piracy laws

news.bbc.co.uk

Europeans suspected of putting movies and music on file-sharing networks could be thrown off the web under proposals before Brussels.

The powers are in a raft of laws that aim to harmonise the regulations governing Europe's telecom markets.

Other amendments added to the packet of laws allow governments to decide which software can be used on the web.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Regardless of whether you think that filesharing over the internet is right or wrong, the fact that our overlords are now discussing what software we are and are not allowed to use on the internet is surely worrying? this looks to be nothing but a raft of laws that will make it more and more difficult to find out information about what our government are doing supposedly in our name whilst clamping down on our liberties at the same time

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

i wounder how Far the idiots will take this,
what will be considerd the boundry to uploading stuff,

TV comericials that have been banned?
TV programs that people can freely tape at home

I hate the EU and hope the UK get out of this crap ASAP

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Have to agree, the thing is if this becomes law in Europe the it will soon spread to most other countries in the world (the US, Australia ect)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
god bless Irland, it was very important they said NO to the Lisbon Treaty!

but we all have to keep fighting! Today's Vote is most important if it passes I don't know how to use the internet anymore. I already had a house search with two police Vans and Dogs end everything only because someone accused my brother of doing something illegal! I will never forget the day my mother called my crying and ask me come home from work. They have found nothing but still put my brother in 2 weeks public service after they found only his pot pipe.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Its very sad that many people don't know the truths and reality's surrounding copying things.So many are so ignorant.
Im talking about private usage enjoyment, NOT the guys who copy things and sell them they are criminals profiting from someone else's work.
Its all based on possible sales theoretical sales.
Which has no basis because 98% of the people who copy the things have no means to legitimately pay for it.
So they weren't a lost sale in the first place.
And therefore does no damage to any company.
Music movies etc the people involved are all payed before its even made.
And the usual people who buy the things buy them.
The international private bank investment company doesn't even lose money.
What its about for them is to get MORE profits.Yes more profits.
Its not about lost profits its about MORE!
They see online file sharing and want to cash in on this market.They want to own what you do privately in your own home.
Its not to protect the profits of there company its simply to find another profit source.
Not to mention how they try to call it stealing.When you haven't actually taken a physical thing from them.
You've used your own time and money to get something that you wouldn't have been able to get in the first place because you don't have the income.
Think about this, someone hires a dvd, they take it home 10 of there friends come around and watch it.Do they all have to pay for it as well?
Partys where people play music, 50-100 people come to the party and LISTEN to the music, do they all have to buy every single album that is played?
Seriously people need to wake up.Its sad to watch there minds and thinking be owned and controlled by evil selfish psychopaths.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Being_From_Earth]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Being_From_Earth

i will admit i watch things online
mainly due to the fact that in the UK the air dates normaly 3-6 months after its aired in the US.

now if they did it at the same time it would be diffrent.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

You are very right but for sure a marketer will give you some argument.
I don’t think it is about piracy as china is literally stealing billions every years on copyright. You don’t see EU Sanctioning China much..do we?
I think is about controlling individual like the article mention software , I can only assume they want to go and prohibit anonymous ip software.
Control freak.

kacou

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

i will admit i watch things online
mainly due to the fact that in the UK the air dates normaly 3-6 months after its aired in the US.

now if they did it at the same time it would be diffrent.

Well thats just one of the other many things they neglect to talk of when they are trying to change how people think to make themselves richer.
If you can afford to pay for it, then you would right?
So would I.
And so do the millions of people who always could afford to pay for it, they still buy whatever it is.
So the theory that they LOSE money is a lie and I have looked into this at the executive level.
Because once I thought it was stealing and I don't like stealing.
Movies make 2-300% profit in first weekends, amounts of profit everyday people could never hope to achieve in a year, and then they tell people its stealing to watch a crappy flash version of it.
Downloading a movie from your friend, and watching it in your own home.
Is no different than going to his house and watching it.
Which isn't illegal? Well they would like to make that illegal to.
They would like you to have to buy the movie to watch it at your friends house.

Originally posted by kacou

You are very right but for sure a marketer will give you some argument.
I don’t think it is about piracy as china is literally stealing billions every years on copyright. You don’t see EU Sanctioning China much..do we?
I think is about controlling individual like the article mention software , I can only assume they want to go and prohibit anonymous ip software.
Control freak.

kacou

Controlling what software people use is simply to make more profits.They would ban p2p programs and only allow people to watch listen and use software if they buy licenses.In someway it would be complete monitoring of all online activities and computer usage.Eventually would get to the point of charging you for the oxygen you use.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Being_From_Earth]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
so, we want to start overthrowing the governments yet or what? uh, ok...

i remember seeing a commercial from nextel were a bunch of firefighters are in a a room deciding on a law and they get right down to business and pass it because it is the right thing to do. moral of the story; good people do good things. now do we see any government taking action like that? god can someone please go oswald on these guys?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Other amendments added to the packet of laws allow governments to decide which software can be used on the web.

Hmmm......... WHY??

If I invent something then, do I need to get it certified?

This will kill the 'net for sure.

Just in case I haven't been clear before... EUROPE IS A BAD THING!

[edit on 7-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm looking at this from an arrogant American point of view, so keep that in mind.

Can't you just use a laptop at some wifi place and go ahead and share what you want? The IP would be located at the wireless router not like its hardwired to your computer at home.

There are programs currently available that protect a computer from connecting to or blocking connections from sites you would never normally go to. This is not a firewall, that is a different app.

To me, this just looks like over legislation for smoke already released.

just some thoughts....

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Hmm...not bad. But I have a better one. CAN'T WE JUST OVERTHROW THE EU. That'll save the whole hassle.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Another interesting article on the BBC

The whistle-blowers site Wikileaks revealed a draft of the agreement in May, and recently it published what it claims is a memo prepared by the Recording Industry Association of America outlining what it would like to see in the final version. It includes a call to make net firms liable for material copied over their networks, and a request to "make deterrence against piracy and counterfeiting a priority legal matter". It seems that profits of the music industry are at least as important as counter-terrorism and investigations of child slavery.

BBC

It looks like the RIAA & co think that piracy is more important than kids knifing and shooting each other in the street and just about any other crime

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Now looks like this could become law throughout Europe? wonder what the next step will be in the constant ratcheting of laws clamping down on our online freedoms?

European politicians have voted in favour of amendments to telecoms law which campaigners say could be used to curb privacy online and file-sharing. Digital rights groups in Europe have formed a loose coalition to highlight their opposition to the amendments.

The Foundation for a Free Internet Infrastructure (FFII) warned that they could create a "Soviet internet" on which only software and services approved by governments would be allowed to run. "Tomorrow popular software applications like Skype or even Firefox might be declared illegal in Europe if they are not certified by an administrative authority," said a FFII spokesman in a statement

BBC

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot

Now looks like this could become law throughout Europe? wonder what the next step will be in the constant ratcheting of laws clamping down on our online freedoms?BBC

Next step is total control over the EC citizens, ruled from one place, likely to be in Brussels, by one person (aka a wannabe president).

The Lisbon Treaty was indeed the paper which should have introduced this to all countries, also this treaty would have made it illegal for working class people to go on a strike while their respective Union try to work out a new settlement.

Im all in for we are all equal here in Europe but im not in for we are all the dirt under the shoes of Multinational (none tax paying) cooperations.

I will fight for freedom if we get locked down by a nwo type of society, and i know plenty of other people who want to do the same. By this i mean if the Lisbon Treaty will be pulled over our heads without voting(thats called dictation) then i will declare my self a fighter of freedom and i will announce my part of this land i´m on for independent and sovereignty. But until that lets just keep on looking into all the shady deals they are making in EC and put them out into the spot lights for all to see what is being processed.

Best regards

Loke.

top topics

join