It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOB, Kit, lightweight, the minimum

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Marino wool is the better choice, even over polys. It will keep you warm even when wet. It will also not absorb many of the bacteria that cause odor. I have uesed both extensively, and I will take the wool unless it is under unusual circumstances.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Yeah any real survivalists out there out of range of help will give you the old phrase Cotton kills and it does so by robbing you of your warmth..

if you have to go natural you want wool yeah it is heavy but keeps it's insulating properties even when wet..something that Cotton doesn't do..

in my bag I carry a multi tool leatherman wave, 3 liters of water, folding solar panel, 2 meter ham radio, a couple ramen noodle pouches, one metal cup and one plastic cup (one for cooking one for drinking) they fit inside each other, an extra set of batteries for the ham radio, 2 lighters 3 3 gallon zip lock baggies , a slingshot band, some sinkers, hooks and fishing line, a sil-nylon poncho, a shamagh, a stone for sharpening, small notepad and pencil compass..goretex pants (make a great shell and you can insulate with many materials, wicking T shirt again you can insulate and warm yourself with various thing and various ways ,, all this weighs about 10 pounds without water and about 25 with water..

Why because Cotton Kills

[edit on 7/8/2008 by geocom]

[edit on 7/8/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
ok last question
what sort of gas mask or virus type mask wouuldd you reckomend

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
In reply to Wotan. For curiosities sake how much actual wilderness experience do you have?

respectfully

reluctantpawn

edit for content

[edit on 8-7-2008 by reluctantpawn]

Actually quite a bit, though it has been a while since I done any 'practical' apart from medical applications. I have only recently just 're-activated myself', being of the 1980's 'survivalist batch .... so it seems I have some catching-up to do ....... I already have someone from these forums that is giving me a heads-up privately ........ please bare with me.

I think my statement on wearing cotton may be slightly misinterpreted as I generally consider all forms of military styled combats including lightweights aka 'denims' as Cotton whereas in fact they are a polycotton mix - my mistake, sorry for the confusion.

In relation to some of the modern materials now used in various clothing for outdoors, I do admit I am not so well versed in them - Gore-Tex was relatively new and very expensive in my day and was well beyond anyones price range unless they were serious explorers or adventurers, so again my apologies. I will endevour to read up on these products for future reference.

[edit on 10/7/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
No harm done. As we say no blood no foul. It was only a miscommunication across the pond.

Any one that has seen a Colorado or Wyoming clear fall day of 60 degrees F drop to low twenties with whiteout conditions in a matter of hours can attest to being properly outfitted here in the states.

Cotton poly blends will work in most conditions, as I will wear US BDU's on most occasions. They are durable and wear well.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I cant even imagine what that type of cold weather feels like. I know we Brits like to complain about the weather, its a national pastime, but generally we dont get sub-zero temperatures on the scale you get in the US or Canada ....... thank goodness.

We just get Rain, Rain and more Rain. Well at least we should'nt ever have a problem with our life blood .... water.

[edit on 10/7/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
from my personal exp ( i live in s.wales) if u take a tarp you need a sleeping bag, if you take a tent then u dont need a sleeping bag just some blanktes the tent combo takes less space and is more comfortable. you will need to create a sort of matress out of leaves, brances etc because hard ground is torture. you should just need; a knife, lighter (friction fire soo hard) some dry tinder, torch, water, thin wire for snares and fishing, a pellet gun is preferable (light ammo also you could make it at a push)
1 change of clothes 1 to be wet and worn during travel and 1 to be worn at camp and to be slept in for comfort and as much foood as you can carry =]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by trekker
ok last question
what sort of gas mask or virus type mask wouuldd you reckomend

A military one.
The US dudes won't like this but the best one is the S10 Respirator worn by the British Army. So good you can even drink from it (via the Brit Army water bottle) while wearing it.
It'll stop anything, very good bit of kit. Quite light too, about a kilo if I remember rightly.

Here's a link:

www.flickr.com...

There are three sizes - 1, 2 and 3

Sizewise you want to get a number '2'

Unless you have are a child/tiny pixie face (usually 1) or a big beefcake face (usually 3)

Filters may be worn so buy a separate filter when you get one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join