It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOB, Kit, lightweight, the minimum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
ok after having read a bit on this forum, i need some advice.

i'm a avid believer that something is going to go down sooner or later( prob sooner)
from what ive read there's a few experts in this field that visit this forum, ex or current military or such.

My question is:

What is the basic minimum that you need in your getaway bag, and please don't just tell me a knife.
i think i have a limited idea, but i want to be prepared, after all i am a ex boy scout...LoL

so come on guys and gals, enlighten me a little, i'm thinking a 15-20Litre bag.
should be all i need to carry.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Fixed blade knife. a GOOD one..
Mini-survival tin inc fish hooks/snares//safety pins/fish line etc.
Small bottle vitamins.
Firesteel.
Ciggy lighters.
IPK.. instant shelter.. will fit into bag you state.
change of socks.
Water bottle/filter.
First aid kit.
Mobile phone(if you're looking for 'rescue')

Add 'luxuries' until desired weight/cost at your own preference.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Thanks Agent t

what about clothing to wear, what should you stay away from, cost is no issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by trekker

Leather pants.. the squeaking scares the wild-life..

---------------------

Hat is a given..with a mozzie net that folds into a pouch underneath is useful

Personally I pack an extra pair of polyamide trousers. lightweight/breathable and dry fast after a shower..
ADDVENTURE.. craghoppers.

Edit to add link.. KIWIS too

www.craghoppers.com...

Extra socks is wise coz I don't think I've ever gone out without sinking in a pond/puddle.

Basically get lightweight layers.. buying a thick sweater is a bit like putting all your eggs in one basket..if it's too hot to wear it's useless.
With layers you can add/remove to suit the conditions and will always have a dry set of something.Or one set hanging up drying in bad conditions.

I stay away from camo too.Don't want to get confused as an army wannabee..

Very good fitting walking boots..
Fitting is hugely more crucial than price..
broken in and regularly waxed..these should also be breathable too.
The LAST thing you want is a brand spanking new pair only to find they're a tad too small after a few miles.. with lots more to go...

I totally mashed my little toe making this mistake..No shoe shops in the desert..DOH!!!

[edit on 7-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Leather pants also dry quickly for when you fancy taking a walk in the sea

I would also add a decent sleeping bag and a bivi to the list, many cold nights out under the stars have taught me that lesson and its one I'll never forget!

Edit:

Craghoppers stuff is really good...I know it's what bear grylles uses but dont let that put you off!

[edit on 7-7-2008 by fred3110]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110

Craghoppers stuff is really good...I know it's what bear grylles uses but dont let that put you off!

Oh Hellll...
I'm going shopping for something different then..

No. it is great stuff.
They do a great range for varying conditions.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
One MRE that you don't touch unless your likely to die without it can be a lifesaver. It can give you that burst of energy and strength you need. Field manuals are always a good thing to help you know what you can eat and what will kill you.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
As long as you think in terms of:-

Shelter
Fire
Water
Food
First-Aid
Rescue

Then you should be okay, at least cover these essentials - The rest as they say are luxuries.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Stay away from cotton clothing. When wet it will suck the heat away from your body. A good set of BDU's in either brown or blue will keep you away from the militant crowd while affording you the storage and versatility you want. A good pair of boots as mentioned. A small portable shortwave radio. For me and my family we are well skilled and prepared at all times. A leatherman tool, good pocket knife, firestarter, and US army poncho are always with us or very close by. It is all we need to get started. Your bob should only be used to get you somewhere safe and supplied.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Dont forget an axe or hatchet.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am sorry, but i have to disagree with you about staying away from cotton clothing. Natural fibres/materials are easily the best way to go. You just have to make sure that you have some waterproof garments to wear over your natural fibred ones or to change into. But you should always have a change of clothing with you anyway.

Royal Marines change into 'zoot suits' once the day is done, or they used to in my day.

Take Ray Mears for example and Lofty Wiseman, you will hardly see them wear anything else but British Army 'Lightweights'.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It depends what you term is a 'lightweight BOB' and how far you'll be going and if you have re-supply catches.

A rule of thumb, not including food is about 4-6 kilos.
You'll be able to move very fast with this and with training you'll go for long-distance with ease too.

I carry about 12 kilos but that's got everything in there for me to survive for *About* a week at 3/4 activity with no foraging at all. I can yomp fairly swiftly with that too.

This isn't very lightweight, more on the medium weight side

Hopefully, with a broken down car and my bicycle getting used instead I should be alright for getting to a shelter.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Excellen replies, thanks everyone, i have heard that about cotton aswell, one of the first things there told us way back when i did a outward bound course
" don't bring cotton clothing"
thanks for the link to the cgragghoppers, i have friends in england, think i'll check them out,

another few questions?

polypropalyne or polytherm,

merino or something better,
and how do you make a snare, i take it this it to catch small game ie rabbits, possums, hedgehogs!!, can you eat hedgehogs?., thats about all we get in the way of small game here in NZ.
of course we cant own firearms in nz, well you can if you have a liscense, but very hard to get and if you have made one mistake in your past and got a conviction, no way will there give you on,
whats the next best thing to use?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by trekker
and how do you make a snare, i take it this it to catch small game ie rabbits, possums, hedgehogs!!, can you eat hedgehogs?., thats about all we get in the way of small game here in NZ.

huntergathercook.typepad.com...

Nice site here.
It gives you some nice pikkies as there's quite a lot of depth in even simple snaring/trapping..

Most important is keeping your butt off the traps..Scent/tracks etc.
Get a pair of plastic gloves.. surgeon/washing up even.. to help with this.

You get the pic.. Great big foot odour covered welly prints over its usual trail isn't going to help your hunting..

Have a read of the linky..

[edit on 7-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Heres a few snare making links mate.

www.m4040.com...

funditor.110mb.com...

Hope these are some use, the first one has rabbit and squirrel snares but you could change them to suit whatever game your after catching. The second is a spring snare which you could use to catch game which roams along the ground.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Hey..great info there

Wilder-wiki.. who'd have thought?

The net's not bad for this stuff after all..

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If you dont have a firearm, compound bows as well as crossbows would work with a little practice. Also, larger snares with heavier cable would work, as would a deadfall. Deadfalls arent terribly difficult to make if you practice a little bit. If you are taking large animals, deer, moose, etc... make sure you have a way to preserve the meat and hide.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Kudos to Wotan for finding the survival wiki its got some gems on it, that spring snare looks great but it reminds me of the simpsons where Homer makes one and it catapults the rabbit over the horizon

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In reply to Wotan. For curiosities sake how much actual wilderness experience do you have?

respectfully

reluctantpawn

edit for content

[edit on 8-7-2008 by reluctantpawn]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by trekker
Thanks Agent t

what about clothing to wear, what should you stay away from, cost is no issue.

anything cotton as it will hold moisture and cause hypothermia. also its annoying to wear wet clothes....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join