It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devil's Tramping Ground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well what do you guys have to speculate about this phenomenon? Why there's so much talk about Satan I thought I'd bring up North Carolina's oldest legend.
I also read on Wikipedia that three college students 'debunked' the myth that surrounds the place.

But I don't think it was really fair they spent the night in the confines of a van.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Since the OP didn't provide any details, here are some for those of you that are not familiar with it:

The Devil's Tramping Ground is a barren circle in the forest in the Harper's Crossroad community near Bennett, NC. It is the subject of some of North Carolina's oldest legends. For at least the last hundred years, nothing has grown within the 40 foot ring and the phenomenon is thus far unexplained. A United States Geological Survey team could uncover no scientific explanation for the lack of growth within the ring.[citation needed]

Stories about the ring are well known in local communities. These include the disappearance of objects left within the ring overnight, and strange events occurring to those brave enough to spend the night within its boundaries.

Legend says that this is the very place the devil himself can rise from the depths of fiery hell, and come to earth. It's at this place, the devil walks in circles on certain nights and brings his evil into this world.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i love the state north carolina just for the eerie feeling i get when there. i have had some of the scariest but at the same time most awesome experiences there.

i really know nothing of this particular legend, but would not doubt anyone right away who says they have strange experiences in north carolina.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'm so sorry about that I'm still getting used to the other features. I mean half the time I use the account I'm on. I'm messing around with my profile, won't happen again.

As for this legend it really does intrigue me. As much as Kansas and Stull Cemetery I've read about. I wondered really how does nothing grow around that circle is interesting. But as far as missing reports that been spoken about leaving things in the circle goes.

I'm stumped.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
from the litter in the area and the tracks and also the dirt/gravel road in the background it seems to me that it is used on a regular basis. probably a campfire cook out or just campers or maybe some rituals? but as for the lack of growth,if you use the campfire as a clock then at 2oclock there is a stump from where someone probably cut down the small tree for firewood. also the use of this place as whatever would stop or hinder the growth of vegetation in the area. so i ask, where is the mystery?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostryder21
from the litter in the area and the tracks and also the dirt/gravel road in the background it seems to me that it is used on a regular basis. probably a campfire cook out or just campers or maybe some rituals? but as for the lack of growth,if you use the campfire as a clock then at 2oclock there is a stump from where someone probably cut down the small tree for firewood. also the use of this place as whatever would stop or hinder the growth of vegetation in the area. so i ask, where is the mystery?

Well, the kicker here is of the alleged visit by the United States Geological Survey team and their inability to explain it. I imagine the thing to do would be for someone to contact the USGS and see if they have actually examined that site and, if so, also tell us what their findings were. We all know about Wikipedia so they may not have even been there, or they may have quickly come to the same conclusion as yourself.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

but honestly what could the USGS actually study there. if there is a metaphysical being coming from the ground how would you know and what changes would you look for? it would be interesting to get a team and study the area nd also get a paranormal team to study it as well to see what their conclusions are. heck if i was near enough i would spend the weekend out there myself and report my finding. although i would sleep outside a van and in a tent mind you. but i would keep the car close by just in case any critters decided to be more than friendly.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Thanks Mad Hatter. I live in NC (fairly new tho) and had no idea what it was.

I have to say, those guys that stayed in the van in the middle of the circle sure didnt live dangerously.

I think a better debunking would be in a tent. I doubts the Devil comes out, but spending the night there once doesnt necessarily disprove all paranormal events.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
Thanks Mad Hatter. I live in NC (fairly new tho) and had no idea what it was.

I have to say, those guys that stayed in the van in the middle of the circle sure didnt live dangerously.

I think a better debunking would be in a tent. I doubts the Devil comes out, but spending the night there once doesnt necessarily disprove all paranormal events.

Very true I would've used a tent. I have to look more into this legend because I still don't have a really good handle on the hard facts. If there is any hard facts to it, but someone always has to be the first to figure it out. In the first place because if no one ever did I wouldn't be posting about it.

I say a better experiment should be in order.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Agent_Ray]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I was born and raised in North Carolina. I've never been to Devil's Tramping Ground, but I first heard about it when I was in grade school about 45 years ago. Information about it has appeared in several books on Tarheel ghosts. The Brown Mountains Lights, the Maco Light, and Devil's Tramping Ground are North Carolina's most famous "ghost" stories. (All have Wikipeida entries.) I believe that it's quite common for the curious to spend the night, or part of the night at the Devil's Tramping Ground--and they probably do leave trash there.

new topics

top topics

join