It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cadel Evans Will win the Tour De France

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nah, that's Atlas's sis who works @ SBS...I just watch it from home

But you're right Badge, it is a very good coverage....

Tomorrow will be an awesome stage, and after today, the weather might be yet another annoyance which might cause a surprise or two...

Enjoy the ride

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Riccardo Riccò rides an amazing stage, attacking on the Col d'Aspin, passing the German Sebastian Lang to win his second stage in the Tour.

This has got to be even more exciting for Riccardo than his win in Stage 6 on Super Besse.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Great win for the young rider, Paul Sherwin is comparing him to the late Marco Pantini, the late great rider and climber with amazing acceleration. Quite a compliment for a young pro like Ricco.

Early scare for Cadel, took a spill and lost some bark on his arm and leg, his collar bone is a worry, hes broken them multiple times.
Tomorrow will be tough too. Go Cadel.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Stage Results
Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval-Scott.............5.39.28 (24.6 mph)
Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale...............1.03
Cyril Dessel (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale....................1.17
Dmitriy Fofonov (Kaz) Crédit Agricole
Christian Knees (Ger) Team Milram

General classification after stage 9
Kim Kirchen (Lux) Columbia
Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence-Lotto..........................0.06
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin Chipotle..........0.44
Stefan Schumacher (Ger) Gerolsteiner...................0.56
Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne.............1.12
Stijn Devolder (Bel) Quick Step............................1.21
Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
Samuel Sánchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi...............1.27
Carlos Sastre (Spa) CSC-Saxo Bank......................1.34

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Did you see the rather rough handling that Cadel suffered from the race doc?

I was stunned to see the doc grab him by the HOLE in his shorts, clumsily trying to pull him towards the car!

Cadel showed his skill by detaching from the medical car just before a roundabout, fortunately.

That doc needs a remedial course in 'carside' manner!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Hey Rilence,
Good to see another Aussie waving the flag. My sis also puts together the SBS annual tour highlites dvd, so if Cadel takes it out this years i'll try an get you a free copy, as i have been getting them since SBS started covering the race. Keep the cheers for cadel going.
cheers
atlas.

p.s. You might also want to check out a movie called Hell on Wheels, it follows Eric Zabel and his team[Team mobile with Kloden and Vinokourov] over the three weeks of the tour and is an amazing insight into this race and how the riders cope during this amazing test of skill, strength and endurance.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I know, that Doc was rough. I just heard that Cadels helmet was cracked when he finished, it must have been a hard spill. He was hit by an Euskatel Rider. There is some concern over his collar bone, but he semed to climb well today. From experience though, the next day often feels a lot worse than the day of a crash, and if he hit his head hard(as he cracked the helmet) he may have a sore neck, and or shoulders, which could make climbing tough. But this race was never ment to be easy to win.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Tomorrow, into the high mountains, Pau to Hautacam, with a 2115m Beyond Category climb up the Col de Tourmalet and an uphill finish.

Fans should set their clocks early as coverage on OLN starts at 7am EDT, earlier in the West.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Tomorow will be a tough day in the saddle, can't wait to see how the GC riders attack this stage, we get the coverage here in Australia in the PM due to the time difference. gotta hit the sack so i can keep awake for tomorrow nights stage.
goodnight.
Go Cadel.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
sorry, double post. Go cadel
Go cadel for the second line.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
big Jens Voight has just smashed the lead pack up the first climb, Col de toumalet. What an effort, the pain and excersion on his face as he powered up was amazing. Schumacher and valverde have been dropped by the pace set by the big man from CSC. Amazing. Cadel seems patient and strong. Go Cadel.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Woooooooohooooo !!!

Cadel holds the yellow jersey by 1 second from Schlek after todays tough climb !!!

Go Cadel !

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Valverde is out of contention for the GC, Kirchen has dropped to seventh, and Cadel Evan gets the Maillot Jaune. Evans is the first Aussie to get the yellow jersey since Robbie McEwen in 2004.

Edit: Just to be clear, as Phil just noted on the rebroadcast, Cadel is the fifth cyclist from Australia ever to wear yellow in the TdF. Phil Anderson ('81) was the first to wear it, along with Stuart O'Grady ('98), and Bradley McGee ('03) in previous years' tours.)

Nice ride by Evans, recovering from a horrendous crash yesterday.

Ricco is now in PolkaDots and also in White as well. Great day for Saunier Duval.

Stage Results

Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott................. 4.19.27
Juan Jose Cobo Acebo (Spa) Saunier Duval - Scott
Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank..................0.28
Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner ................................1.06
Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale ......................2.05
Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott....................2.17
Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC - Saxo Bank
Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto
Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Chipotle
Moises Dueñas Nevado (Spa) Barloworld......................2.27

General classification after stage 10

Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto...............................42.29.09
Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank....................0.01
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Chipotle...........0.38
Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner...................................0.46
Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank.....................................0.57
Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC - Saxo Bank....................1.28
Kim Kirchen (Lux) Columbia.........................................1.56
Juan José Cobo (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott.....................2.10
Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval-Scott......................2.29
Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale........................2.32

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I must say I'm impressed by Cadel Evans after learning more about him and seeing him on the Podium today full of courage and hope, and I'm definitely a fan now.

He seems like a perfect representative and cycling ambassador and I hope he accomplishes all of his goals in the Tour.

To me all the pro cyclists are just incredible athletes and full of grace and integrity, even those who might have tarnished halos from time to time.

But Cadel seems to be one of the finest cyclists ever to ride in the Tour. You couldn't find a better champion to wear the Yellow Jersey into Paris.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I must say I'm impressed by Cadel Evans after learning more about him and seeing him on the Podium today full of courage and hope, and I'm definitely a fan now.

He seems like a perfect representative and cycling ambassador and I hope he accomplishes all of his goals in the Tour.

To me all the pro cyclists are just incredible athletes and full of grace and integrity, even those who might have tarnished halos from time to time.

But Cadel seems to be one of the finest cyclists ever to ride in the Tour. You couldn't find a better champion to wear the Yellow Jersey into Paris.

Well said Badge,

Cadels emotion on the Podium was endearing and he will have many new fans. I can tell you that he is highly respected amongst the pro's in cycling world and many hold him as a bastion for clean racing and hope that riders like himself will rebuild the integrity of the sport. Especially after recent years when many top GC riders have fallen under a cloud(Landis, Vinoukourov, Basso, Hamilton, Heras and that is just a few ).
Cadels effort yesterday were great, but he has alot of work to do. He has an amazing recovery rate so yesterdays stage should not have taken too great a toll on him. It is time for his team to do the work now to help protect the lead and control the race.
Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto...............................42.29.09
Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank....................0.01
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Chipotle...........0.38
Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner...................................0.46
Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank.....................................0.57
Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC - Saxo Bank....................1.28
Kim Kirchen (Lux) Columbia.........................................1.56
Juan José Cobo (Spa) Saunier Duval-Scott.....................2.10
Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval-Scott......................2.29
Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale........................2.32

How Cadel and his team does this with CSC and Saunier Duval-Scott looking so strong in the GC and in the mountains will make this a great race, and a great victory if he overcomes this field.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Stage 12 - Thursday, July 17: Lavelanet - Narbonne, 168.5km

Mark Cavendish wins the 12th stage of the tour with a fantastic jet-propelled sprint to the finish to be the first rider from Isle of Man to win three Tour stages. Once again George Hincapie deserves a lot of credit for spearheading the early dash to the line, before fading to 57th place, but keeping the same time as the Peloton.

Cadel retains yellow in this relatively flat stage before the high mountains of the Alps appear in Stage 14 on Saturday.

Cycling News

Stage 15 - Sunday, July 20: Embrun - Prato Nevoso, 183km

This stage was to have been a 216-kilometre epic from yesterdays' finish town of Digne les Bains. Because of rock falls on the Col de Larche the start has been moved to the ancient town of Embrun, shortening the stage by 33 kilometres.

Stage 12 finishing placings (same time)
1 Mark Cavendish - Columbia
2 Sébastien Chavanel - Française des Jeux
3 Gert Steegmans - Quick Step
4 Erik Zabel - Team Milram
5 Oscar Freire - Rabobank
6 Francesco Chicchi - Liquigas
7 Thor Hushovd - Crédit Agricole
8 Leonardo Duque - Cofidis
9 Julian Dean - Garmin Chipotle
10 Heinrich Haussler - Gerolsteiner

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Hey badge,
I can't believe Ricco, a 23 year old, would resort to EPO. The resulting resignation of his team has robbed the tour of what i thought would have been a great three team battle in the alps between Ricco' team, Cadel's, Schleck and Sastre'. I have heard that Ricco was suspected earlier of being a cheat after his very late inclusion into the tour and his early stage wins. Many riders have been unsurprised by his doping, an indication that the Tour field had its own suspicions about this talented young rider, what a sad and pointless waste.
On a positive note, I really like Mark Cavendish. Such an explosive sprinter, he sat patiently behind Thor as he was led out and absolutely smashed him to claim another stage, his team did a great job for him again and its nice to see him constantly acknowledge the efforts of his team mates in all the media that i have seen him in.
Cadel is looking good, can't wait until next week. Go Cadel.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I'm predicting Jens Voight of CSC-Saxo Bank in a break-away today. Second choice will be a break away. Maybe George Hincapie will get into a break, but I doubt the DS will allow him not to work for Cavendish. Thus my second choice is Cavendish. Sentimental favorite is for a win by Eric Zabel.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Downhill finish, favoring the sprinters today, though it may kip up at the end.

Cadel is likely to stay in yellow.

Cavendish has just declared that he won't be going to Paris, at least on two wheels. He'll prep for the Olympics in Bejing.

Tour de France stage 13: Narbonne>Nîmes
Link

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

We've heard about the gearing used in the mountains, I think a 39-23, but I wonder what the sprinters are using.

Gearing for the pros goes up to 53x11, but I wonder if they're pushing that in the 40mph final sprints.

At 53x11, 114 RPM, you get 43.2 mph. 119, gives you 45.1.

Nice online gear calculator.
home.earthlink.net...

I think the sprinters may actually hit above 45mph on flat stage sprints.

(My top speed, only sustainable for about 10 seconds is 32.5mph, and that's with a sight downhill starting boost, but I'm not a youngster and a bit of a Clydesdale at 185lbs.

Normally I ride at 19-20mph on the flats, and have hit 18.3mph over 10 miles a couple years ago.

As a college kid, I've hit 35mph, but the bike was not as stable as today's bikes.)

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Badge01]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join