It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assistance with possible abduction experience, please?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Taj Mikel

Or maybe this guy, they never really said what the hell Snuffy actually was, did they?
i167.photobucket.com...

Actually the whole crew is actually pretty scarry and come in a variety of colors.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by gauncents]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Ahahaha!! Dude that is some wicked funny stuff lol. I'm taking off of work for the day, but can I ask you, how do you get the images to post and whatnot? Just use HTML, or?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
[edit on 5-7-2008 by Minnesotawreckingcrew]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Thank you for understanding my sense of humor. Everyone is so uptight these days. I wish everyone would just take a second and laugh and smile at yourself or someone else.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It's nice to see than an OP can be humble enough to have a sense of humor.

Seems more people here should take heed of that.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hi folks your friendly neighborhood moderator here.

I'm as fun loving as the next guy but let's not get too crazy and turn this into the funky photo thread...though I will say I'm a big oompa loompa supporter, don't find them scary.

Little fellas that run around making candy and disposing of the bodies of dead children all day long while singing. I ask you, how adorable is that?!

Anyhoo, let's try not to stray too far off topic. I believe we could use the original conversation as a jumping off point to discuss how hypno-gogic states can influence a persons perspective.

Or how, if possible, could you determine what is a true encounter with high strangeness or simply an episode of sleep paralysis?

And in the end does it matter? Can an intense episode of sleep paralysis be just as significant as a true paranormal experience. Could it and should it be considered a true experience.

What if Joan of Arcs visions were simply hypno-gogic experiences or some other altered state of conciousness due to some sort of chemical imbalance or seizure. Does that or should that in any way diminish her acomplishments?

If this must be done with the aid of silly pictures that's fine, but let's try and stay somewhat on topc.

I really think there's a lot to discuss here...just sayin.

spiderj

[edit on 7/6/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Read my above post please.

thanks

spiderj

[edit on 7/6/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiderj

What up, Spider! I hear ya with keeping things on track and whatnot, good ideas for discussion there, too!

I think when it comes to the deepest sense of it, it's impossible to determine whether or not the experience was "real" or just "in my head". I'm not even completely sure what the difference between the two is.. Maybe, if the experience is collectively, or can be collectively, experienced that constitutes "reality", whereas an independent experience could be labeled as "imaginary".

As far as it mattering whether or not the experience was "imaginary" and caused by sleep paralysis or something more strange and external I think there are a few perspectives to consider:

1. From a personal perspective, when only the Self is considered, it does not seem to matter whether the experience was "real" or not. From this perspective, it seems that learning from an experience is the valuable act, regardless of what external activities come from it. So, in that case, I'd say that it doesn't matter if it "happened" or not, because my perception of it's occurence impacted my thinking and the perspectives from which I will view "reality" later in life, and to that end, it was a cause that had an effect. Cause and then effect equals physical reality, so by that perspective the event most certainly did occur, even if it was not, or could not be, collectively experienced.

2. Following the above train of thought, we should ask the question, "Ok, so for all intents and purposes it did happen, but if it is not a collective experience, namely that it will not occur again for another individual, how can I be sure that any act or thought derived from it is valid, healthy, and useful?" And this is where things begin to get tedious. The event certainly did occur, but to what degree can I use it to actually measure my reality? Can I take it to mean that there are aliens watching me? Can I call it a curious Sprite who wandered into my home through the fireplace? If I assign it any of these definitions, and they are in truth not a collective experience, then I have lapsed into what most people call "crazy", which is not an issue, aside from that if I take it to mean that there are aliens watching me (when collective reality may well prove that they're not) I have launched myself down a path of untruth and misinformation that could waste a good amount of my time.

In the end, I think all events and occurences fall under these guidelines. To what extent can we determine what is real in any way? I remember reading an essay by a man named Descartes while living there in North Carolina, and he ellaborated on the concept that all occurences are subjective. The time old statement, " I think therefor I am" is all that I (or we) have to determine, beyond all doubt, that I (or we) exist, but it in no way helps me (us) assign reality to those things external to me (us).

All I (we) can do, is collaborate with those beings that also seem to be subjectively experiencing this existence along side and attempt to create a common, collective perception of reality. Which we most certainly have!

And now I'm losing my train of thought, because this is beginning to remind me of quantum theory, in the sense that on a quantum level, all of reality is existing by it's perception of itself via continuous, collaborated and subconscious (sometimes conscious) efforts to collapse the wave functions of all that is.

Whoo! Early morning musings! Thanks Spider!

Anyone else got something to add? Pretty cool topic if you ask me. Fundamental perceptions of reality and their validity when compared to the experiences of others. Good stuff!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well in terms of it being a collective experience we're at a bit of a loss, simply because you don't know how many if any other people have shared either an incredibly similar or exact experience.

Perhaps continueing to look at it as something that occured during a hypno-gogic or semi-dream state can still be just as valid.

I don't know how familiar you are with the concept of the collective unconscious and dream archetypes, so if you are I disregard the following.

If youre not then perhaps you might find these following links helpful as they cover that topic:

www.mythsdreamssymbols.com...

pandc.ca...

wikiwiki:
en.wikipedia.org...

SPiderj

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So how is this even a 'possible abduction'? Sounds more like a ghost encounter. Abduction would involve you leaving your room unwillingly. I'm calling it imaginary but thats just me.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Well, as I don't, in any way, believe in "ghosts" my perspective calls for a cause that I can relate to, hence abduction by alien.

Regardless, I'd ask how one would be able to determine if I weren't forcefully returned to my slumber the first evening when I found the being, whatever it was, looming over me. Who's to say it didn't use technology, higher intelligence, or "ghost" magic on me to put me back to sleep before removing me from the comfort of my bed?

Could be imagination, as I certainly have one, but it has yet to occur again outside of the two already mentioned evenings.

Spider, I think what I meant by "collective" was that, should someone else have been in the room, they would have seen the entity also. In that sense, collective can be what we call generally experienced reality, and "singular" can be what is solely experienced by the witness as an internal happening, rather than an external and multiply verifiable event. We can take "singular" here to mean "imaginary" and "collective" to mean "real".

I suppose the next level of "collective" experience would be whether or not multiple people experience the phenomenon as a "singular" internal event. That too would probably move the experience from "singular" to "collective", even though the events themselves are not externally verifiable.

I think that abduction experiences, hauntings, spiritual activities and RV/AT all fall under the "singular" or "imaginary" category. The only real evidence to support their happenings is internally verifiable, rather than externally, at least for the moment.

Of course, this is all a discussion of perspective and that is always subjective.
Whether it was in my head, and not experienced or even capable of being experienced by others (because it was what we call "imaginary") or it was what we consider "real" and definitely a "living, breathing" thing makes no major difference in the end. When it comes down to it, not one thing experienced.. seemingly external or internal is a single step beyond your perception of it, and that in the end is just an impulse moving along neural paths in your brain. I'd call it a mass, agreed upon hallucination

I would be curious still though to know if anyone else has heard of a being like this, would certainly be interesting knowledge to have

Thanks again for keeping up with the thread, I figured it was gonna die (not that it grew too large
) and I'll check those links out Spider I've never looked much into that stuff

(I dig emotes)

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Taj Mikel]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join