It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why all the bogus material lately?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
To all the members complaining about thread quality and summer breaks:

I'm currently working on a thread which will get into an in-depth discussion of the 1976 Tehran incident. I'm not good at making threads so it's taking me awhile and I'm busy with other things on ATS and outside of ATS. But- I want to challenge every person who is unsatisfied with a lot of the bogus claims to try your hand at a quality thread. I, like many other members, really appreciate reading threads of value instead of wild speculative theories.

A fascinating case, I look forward to your thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

when is he going to put out that thread...WERE IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME GOOD THREADS!!!
hopefully its soon

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'm trying to lean this site and very interested in ufology. If i could get some good tips as I will continue to visit and comment on the content. Looking for sleeper's threads

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hmmmm,

When it comes to that Pokey character Transformers come to mind.

Perhaps Faith No More care a lot about it?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by messiah4hire

OR perhaps all the kiddies just need to be tucked back into bed and let the adults do the more real and serious research

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I agree, there has been a fair few rubbish threads of late but its got me thinking whether mine are amongst them.
I've been interested in Ufology for twenty years or so, therefore I know interesting footage when I see it and so post it in the forum.
It's not my footage, I just found it and wanted to put it out there for others to see. None of my friends/family have any interest in the subject so I find all your opinions very important.
I'm not too great on a computer (still don't know how to embed) so my posts tend to be on the short side, showing only the scraps of information i've found. Hopefully one day i'll nail it and surprise you all with a killer thread!
As far as the 'kids' issue goes, I think let them get on with it.
Surely the more people that are involved and interested in the subject the healthier it will become. Shooting down the blatant hoaxers / timewasters has been entertaining for the most part up until now, so long may it continue.
Or just ignore their posts.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by meatballxl5

HERE HERE!!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by skept!cal

Indeed, you should say as such, for so much effort went into assuring the opinion that you espoused.

But nothing is seen when the curtains are drawn.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by messiah4hire

care to elborate a lil more man...your speaking a whole lot of jibberish from what i can see...dont try and surround your answers w/ this mystic type talk...be blunt w/ what your saying...its appreciated alot more
...Have a good one

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hey Skeptical, thought i'd better let you know i've just posted some more blatantly bogus material, in case nobodys seen it yet.
Pretty good bogus material all the same.
Maybe there should be a seperate forum for blatant fakes?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

there is a forum for that its called "skunk Works" where all the fictional stuff goes...and if your knowingly posting bogus crap i suggest you read the T&C your liable to get banned...just a tid bit of info for ya

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Much appreciated.
Don't know 100% but looks like CGI. Definitely not a man in the woods with a mask on and his nipples out, thats for sure!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
...well thats true...god knows those aliens love their nipple shots

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

can we say "Aliens Gone Wild"? haha...i see a true money maker in the makings

Okay back to being serious

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm sure you'll love this one... even if it may belong in skunkworks.
uk.youtube.com...
and from the guy with the camera nearby
uk.youtube.com...
so, it's blatantly an R.C craft with lights projected onto it, here's footage from the onboard camera.
uk.youtube.com...
I'm surprised that it hasn't been passed off as authentic so far!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Please ignore my previous explanation. As the following shows the helicopter towing it.
ca.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
[edit on 12-7-2008 by buds84]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well, i don't know if there's really a negative trend: some days, we have the first page of "Aliens & UFOs" forum with a lot of interesting cases, as well as it may happen that the first fifteen threads are questionable to say the least: today, for example, is not a "good" one. But this is value about ATS.
In general, the causes have always been the same: hoax and misinterpretations. This is easy to say, and we can also say that all started after Kenneth Arnold's sighting (by the media's point of view):

In the weeks that followed Arnold's June, 1947 story, at least several hundred reports of similar sightings flooded in from the U.S. and around the world — most of which described saucer-shaped objects. A sighting by a United Airlines crew of another nine, disk-like objects over Idaho on July 4 probably garnered more newspaper coverage than Arnold's original sighting, and opened the floodgates of media coverage in the days to follow.

Bloecher collected reports of 853 flying disc sightings that year from 140 newspapers from Canada, Washington D.C, and every U.S. state save Montana. This was more UFO reports for 1947 than most researchers ever suspected. Some of these stories were poorly documented or fragmentary, but Bloecher argued that about 250 of the more detailed reports (such as those made by pilots or scientists, multiple eyewitnesses, or backed by photos) made a persuasive case for a genuine mystery.

Kenneth Arnold

CGI at the time didn't exist yet, but of course attention seekers already did. Now, should we assume that it was a wave, that it was a bunch of hoaxes, that it was a bunch of misintepretations or all three the cases, or some of them or no one of them?
Of course, it was NOT a coincidence.

Presently, we have some really interesting sightings that often are "hidden" somewhere, often "obscured" by something of more "spectacular":
one of the problems is that between CGI artists, it seems that the creation of an UFO sighting is something like a "test": the more is reliable, (or better, difficult to debunk), the more the artist is "skilled". This is also partially consequence of UFO Haiti (Views: 8,536,295).
While many of us "hated" David Nicolas as we "hate" every single hoaxer, many CGI artists or wannabeee ones, took his "feat" as something to emulate.
By THIS view yes, there's a strong increase of cases. But at the same time, CGI videos are NOT very relevant for statistic: the authors of such crap, generally hide behind a nickname on youtube, upload their crap then vanish forever, or in the "best" cases, they provide one line/two lines of background.
I mean, all this stuff is not relevant statistically, and won't take place in the serious UFO history.
But in the meantime, it's generating some really negative consequences:

- is driving many people to focus on the WRONG direction, and this generates a LOSS of serious debates on serious stuff:

- is getting the media's attention: and this generates a further loss of reliability of the subject matter: see the "nice job" that is being done by "The Sun". While we know that that newspaper is a crock, many people may base their thoughts on what they see there or on similar publications: basically, all this affects the public opinion, the vox populi.

So the problem is not only in the stuff that comes out, but also in how it is released and in who (and how) takes it in.

All that we can do, the ONLY thing that we can do, in my humble opinion, is to try to do our best to debunk the crap and to focus on the serious stuff.
This is what we can do: it's not so much, but is all that we have.
When you see a thread started by some attention seeker, don't stop there just to tell him/here that he's/she's an attention seeker: just carry on.
ATS is an extremely powerful weapon: we have people coming from all around the world.
Now, with the introduction of The UFO-Alien Applied Linguistics Registry we have a rough idea what we may do: we have people able (and available) to cover 16 different languages, some of those languages cover five, six MORE Coutries.
To break the language barrier would be an huge improvement.

I mean, we have many tools to improve the research, and this international community that allows us to share what we have to add.
Serious research can kill the crap: censorship / banning cannot.
Thank you for this thread, skept!cal.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by internos]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Internos your dilligence never seems to amaze me as ive said before numerous times...you truly are an a asset to ATS and the UFOLOGY field in general...thanks for you insight and response to this thread...I think your absolutely right we need to keep debunking and ATSer's as a whole need to start ignoring the obvious hoaxes that plauge here and spend time focusing on the threads and topics that have actual evidence and stand up witnesses...So anyone reading this thread lets IGNORE all the crap as internos said..dont even bother posting saying on threads such as those that "this is bunk and you have no evidence" lets just ignore that thread and focus on the ones that matter...thanks again internos

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
And the Influx of summer kids posting still is here...Damn i cant wait for school to be in and the kids sent to bed...That and football is coming that usually marks a point where the kids are back where they belong....pffff guess ill just wait to do more posting once the summer bell rings

Skept!cal

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join