It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Supporters unable to name one of his Accomplishments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I continually hear Obama talking about his platform of Hope, Change, and Unity.. but in reality, they're just so many empty words. Politicians are very much like salesmen, and are good at telling you want you want to hear.

Is such talk helpful, probably not, but you do go away feeling good about that big purchase you just made, but can't realistically afford.

When his supporters are asked for specific examples of his accomplishments in the bringing about this lofty goal of Hope, Change, and Unity they seem to be at a loss.

Instead they say things like, he's a good speaker, he makes me feel good, he's inspiring, etc.. These unfortunately are not accomplishments, their attributes.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

But that's all it is, a picture.

Barack Obama's campaign paints a pretty picture of him, does it not?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This was already posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Ugggggh...

*Looks at Lloyd45 and shakes head*

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

But that's all it is, a picture.

Barack Obama's campaign paints a pretty picture of him, does it not?
For some reason when I hear Barack Obama speaking about hope, change, and unity this passage from Macbeth comes to mind..

"it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

Full Text

Shakespeare was a wonderful writer, and an astute judge of human nature.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This was already posted here:
I looked before posting this, but apparently I missed it. Sorry BH.

The moderators may delete it if they like. My apologies.

[edit on 7/1/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Although it would seem that passage is actually referring to quite a philosophical standpoint, i can't help but agree.

p.s;: Hey Bigbert, i take it you do not approve?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I heard this exact question asked last night on the radio. It was open lines for Obama supporters only. I heard four Obama supporters call in.

Two called in and couldn't list anything. They were voting for Obama because he signified change.

One man called in and stated he was voting for Obama because he was black. "I'm black and so is he, so he gets my vote." He then stated that it was payback time for the black man and Obama was going to give them their payday.

One man called in and said he was voting for Obama because it was a vote against McCain.

I'm afraid you're right, nobody can list anything the guy's accomplished. He has an incredibly thin resume and stands for very little at this point in my eyes.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

"it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

Yeah, that came to mind when I read this thread, too...

Sorry, Lloyd. ATS members are too smart not to realize that there are ignorant people all around (ignorant of Obama's accomplishments). And the truth is, a person (or some people) NOT knowing what Obama's specific accomplishments are, is not proof of anything. "Signifying nothing".

We, in this country, each have one vote. And if we want to vote for "change", we can. In fact, I know people who freely say that because of the Bush years, they're voting for Obama. They're voting, not based on his accomplishments, but because he stands for change from the past 8 miserable years. And that's perfectly fine.

And if you'd like to educate yourself on Obama's accomplishments, here are a few places you can look.
Overview of Accomplishments
Lobbying and Ethics Reform Act

If you (and the people on your video) don't know more about Obama's accomplishments, then maybe you should just read more. The information is there.

If your point is that some people vote for Obama because they like him and want change? Well... yeah. I agree with them.

Poor Hannity, by his admission, "doesn't get it".

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The two sources you provided that don't link to one of your own threads do little other than highlight Obama's Abilities.

I suppose we are being rather cruel to him, however, as you have proven he is, at the least, capable of legislative undertakings.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Sorry, Lloyd. ATS members are too smart not to realize that there are ignorant people all around (ignorant of Obama's accomplishments). And the truth is, a person (or some people) NOT knowing what Obama's specific accomplishments are, is not proof of anything. "Signifying nothing".

We, in this country, each have one vote. And if we want to vote for "change", we can. In fact, I know people who freely say that because of the Bush years, they're voting for Obama. They're voting, not based on his accomplishments, but because he stands for change from the past 8 miserable years. And that's perfectly fine.

If you (and the people on your video) don't know more about Obama's accomplishments, then maybe you should just read more. The information is there.

If your point is that some people vote for Obama because they like him and want change? Well... yeah. I agree with them.

Poor Hannity, by his admission, "doesn't get it".

Well, the first two posts seem to be mainly a diatribe between you and another member in support of Obama, not much there in my opinion. Both posts seemed to die out rather quickly too. LOL

The rest of the links are like his speeches, full of fluff, but void of real content. That type of incessant rambling gives me a headache. So he put his signature on a few bills.. big deal. I'm sure that can be said for most legislators. What has he actually accomplished was the question..

"Yes", there appears to be quite a few people unaware of Obama's accomplishment, especially his supporters, as evidenced by the video.

Feel free to vote for "Change" (whatever that's supposed to be) if you like, but have you heard that old expression.. "The more things change, the more they stay the same"?

I think this will be the case with Obama if he ever makes it to office. It's only July, and I'm sure he and his staffers will put their feet in their mouth several times before election day.

[edit on 7/1/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
nevermind.

i misread a comment.

post retracted

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
i would think those who are supporting obama would want to take the opportunity to list some of his accomplishments out here. kind of seems like a challenge to me that those who support obama on this site are failing. i personally love a challenge and would take it on, except i agree w/ the op.
looking and interested in having my mind changed. (and don't say go do the research bc i have and have found little next to nothing). prove him wrong!!

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Well, the first two posts seem to be mainly a diatribe between you and another member in support of Obama, not much there in my opinion.

Look at the links, Lloyd. I'm sorry. I assumed you would read the posts and look at the reference material. Click on the links.

That type of incessant rambling gives me a headache.

Perhaps reading glasses are in order? There are plenty of accomplishments listed there, but you may have to read through a few... words. I don't have a bulleted list on me, if that's what you require... And if you REALLY wanted to know his accomplishments, you would mind reading the words that surround them. Here, let me provide some assistance. From my3rd link (formatted for easier reading):

• The Lugar-Obama bill
  • Coburn-Obama Transparency Act
  • ethics/lobbying reform bill
  • Iraq War De-Escalation Act of 2007
  • cosponsored the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act, S-2611
  • health insurance for an additional 20,000 Illinois children
  • death penalty reform

This list goes on.

And here is a paragraph (hope it's not too confusing)

He is on the senate committees for foreign relations; homeland security; veterans affairs; health, education, labor and pensions. He studied political science with an emphasis on international relations and Columbia. And he's gone on three major trips overseas as part of an official Senate delegation, meeting with U.S. generals, and/or foreign leaders.

Feel free to vote for "Change" (whatever that's supposed to be)

Thank you. I will. I'm sorry you don't know what it means. Have you tried the dictionary?

And I'll also be voting for the man and his accomplishments, of which I am well aware as I have READ about them.
It isn't really that hard to do.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
i would think those who are supporting obama would want to take the opportunity to list some of his accomplishments out here. kind of seems like a challenge to me that those who support obama on this site are failing. i personally love a challenge and would take it on, except i agree w/ the op.
looking and interested in having my mind changed. (and don't say go do the research bc i have and have found little next to nothing). prove him wrong!!

I'd love to see the list too, not just a bunch of links saying do the research. I'm not an Obama supporter, and I have been unable to find one thing he's personally changed.

I guess everything is open to interpretation, and I'd truly like to see how they're interpreting reality.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Coburn-Obama Transparency Act ~ researched this and honestly it appears, to me w/ my limited knowledge anyway, to BE good, but again, someone w/ limited knowledge like me doesn't benefit much from the website that came out of this act. www.usaspending.gov... now, can someone explain to me, please, how to track my $$. the site does say "Where Americans Can See Where Their Money Goes" and this is one of obama's accomplishments... it just that i am having a really hard time understanding what all this means on the website.

so as it stands, that one particular accomplishment does not nothing for me until someone can show me through this website that was a result of obama's efforts how to actually understand the content.

off to look ath the next accomplishment.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
~The Lugar-Obama bill~ now before i go further into this one, i must understand what is meant by "conventional weapons stockpiles". i have looked it up and have come up w/ different articles using the same terminology but referring to different ideas of what this is. so as of now, that is seems a pretty vague term to me and i am highly against anything passed that could eventually be turned around and used against me and my constitutional rights.

so, before i proceed, can someone please point me to something that would w/out a doubt clear up any misconceptions this could lead someone (who is finicky about trusting anyone running for the office of presidency) to? thank you

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
There isn't a list of accomplishments other than doing what most Americans these days do which is to grow up with grandparents cause you have a single mother, graduate high school , go to college, get a job ,

Vote present when you are asked to vote on something
I would be open to supporting obama but I can't find a good list of accomplishments either , I am all for change but I too want to know what exactly you plan on changing as change does not always mean for the better..

as far as his stand point on health care goes I could live without it for sure..

come on Obama supporters some of us want to know why we should vote for him and maybe then we might..

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
~ethics/lobbying reform bill ~ blah blah blah. just more rules they place on themselves to make us believe they are moral. they'll break em anyway

The bill contains those provisions we pushed for, plus many others.

Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 Detailed Summary
Senate and House Statutory Reform by Amending the Lobbyist Disclosure Act, the Federal Election Campaign Act, the Ethics in Government Act, the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act, and Revising Congressional Pension Provisions in the Civil Service Retirement System

Closing the Revolving Door

Prohibits Senators from gaining undue lobbying access by increasing the "cooling off" period for Senators from one to two years before they can lobby Congress.
Prohibits Cabinet Secretaries and other very senior executive personnel from lobbying the department or agency in which they worked for two years after they leave their position.
Prohibits senior Senate staff and Senate officers from lobbying contacts with the entire Senate for one year, instead of just their former employing office.
Prohibits senior House staff from lobbying their former office or Committee for one year after they leave House employment.
Requires that executive and legislative branch employees who leave government positions and seek to lobby on behalf of Indian tribes face the same revolving door provisions as others. It exempts those who serve as elected or appointed officials of Indian tribes.
Ending the Pay-to-Play K Street Project

Prohibits Members and their staff from influencing hiring decisions of private organizations on the sole basis of partisan political gain. Subjects those who violate this provision to a fine and imprisonment for up to 15 years.
Prohibiting Gifts by Lobbyists

Prohibits lobbyists from providing gifts or travel to Members of Congress with knowledge that the gift or travel is in violation of House or Senate Rules.
Full Public Disclosure of Lobbying Activity

Requires lobbyist disclosure filings to be filed twice as often, by decreasing the time between filing from semi-annual to quarterly.
Requires lobbyist disclosures in both the Senate and House to be filed electronically and requires creation of a public searchable Internet database of such information.
Increases civil penalty for knowing and willful violations of the Lobby Disclosure Act from $50,000 to $200,000 and imposes a criminal penalty of up to five years for knowing and corrupt failure to comply with the Act.
Requires the Government Accountability Office to audit annually lobbyist compliance with disclosure rules.
Requires lobbyists to certify they have not given gifts or travel that would violate Senate or House rules.
Requires the disclosure of businesses or organizations that contribute more than $5,000 and actively participate in lobbying activities by certain coalitions and associations.

New Transparency for Lobbyist Political Donations, Bundling and other Financial Contributions

Requires disclosure to the Federal Election Commission when lobbyists bundle over $15,000 semiannually in campaign contributions for any federal elected official, candidate (including Senate, House and Presidential), or leadership PAC.
Requires lobbyists to disclose to the Secretary of the Senate and the House Clerk their campaign contributions, and payments to Presidential libraries, Inaugural Committees or entities controlled by, named for or honoring Members of Congress.

Congressional Pension Accountability

Denies Congressional retirement benefits to Members of Congress who are convicted of bribery, perjury, conspiracy or other related crimes in the course of carrying out their official duties as a Member of Congress.
Prohibited Use of Private Aircraft

Requires that candidates, other than those running for a seat in the House, pay the fair market value of airfare (charter rates) when using non-commercial jets to travel. (This impacts Senate, Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates)
Requires candidates for the House to comply with rule XXIII (15), which prohibits use of non-commercial aircraft.
Toughening Penalties for Falsifying Financial Disclosure Forms

Increases the penalty for Members of Congress, Senior Staff and Senior Executive officials for falsifying or failing to report financial disclosure forms from $10,000 to $50,000 and establishes criminal penalties of up to one year of imprisonment.

AMENDING HOUSE ETHICS RULES:

Disclosure by Members and Staff of Employment Negotiations

Prohibits Members from engaging in any agreements or negotiations about future employment until a successor has been selected unless the Member files a statement with the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct; and requires that Members recuse themselves from any matter in which there is a conflict of interest or appearance of a conflict.
Requires senior staff to notify the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct within three days if they engage in negotiations or agreements for future employment or compensation.
Prohibition on Lobbying Contacts with Spouses who Are Registered Lobbyists

Requires that Members prohibit their staff from having any lobbying contact with the Member's spouse if such individual is a registered lobbyist or is employed or retained by a registered lobbyist to influence legislation.

Posting of Travel and Financial Disclosure Reports on the Internet

Requires that travel by members financed by outside groups be posted on a searchable, sortable and downloadable website by August 1, 2008.
Requires that Members' financial disclosure forms be posted on a searchable, sortable and downloadable website by August 1, 2008

Participation in Lobbyist Sponsored Events During Political Conventions

Prohibits Members from attending parties held in their honor at national party conventions if they have been sponsored by lobbyists, unless the Member is the party's presidential or vice presidential nominee.

AMENDING SENATE ETHICS RULES:

Procedural Reform

Allows the Senate to delete "dead of night" additions from conference reports (when the new matter was not approved by either House) unless 60 Senators vote in favor of keeping the matter in the conference report.
Seeks to end secret Senate holds by requiring the Senator placing a hold on a legislative matter or nomination publicly disclose that hold within five days.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
sheesh..... before i go on to the next "accomplishment"
i must notice that the only supporter here has run off even though SHE was here for the last two posts. come on. i am giving the benefit of the doubt here and doing the research of the accomplishments you listed but coming up short on how any of these are representitive of that big CHANGE i keep hearing about.

*sighs* off to look at Iraq War De-Escalation Act of 2007. this one sounds like it could be interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join