It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If The Large Hadron Collider Produced A Microscopic Black Hole, It Probably Wouldn't Matter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoterica

Thanks for the nuclear physics 101 post. I think alot of us already pretty much understand what you posted, but alot of people probably don't. This is basic nuclear physics here..

-ChriS

[edit on 1-7-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Are there risks? Sure. Each new step mankind takes entails a risk factor. There are personal risks everytime you jump in the car and head to the grocery store. There are collective risks in the amount of control we allow our leaders before rebelling.

Risk has always been a part of growth. Controlling fire was a risky business, and we still haven't gotten that one right, just ask California.
But it was progress from the time before fire was "tamed".

The question isn't is there risk or not, the question is do we think that what may be gained is worth the risk. A new power source, even one that entailed some high risks,might be preferable to the direction the world is taking where massive wars are fought for energy of a more traditional type. And the possibility of nuclear events in such wars.

Sometimes there's no choice but to take a risk, and hope that things have been thought out well enough in advance. We're a species of risk takers, it is our glory and our shame. It may be our salvation or our death. But without taking some risks, we would still be eating berries and fighting vultures for carrion.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
John Titor mentioned nothing about the Hadron so stop worrying about it would you all please? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I understand what you are saying but I wonder.... maybe there are some aliens species out there looking at us right now saying "look what this fools are about to do...." and taking bets on how long it would take the black hole to eat the planet

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
interesting interesting and again i say, interesting! that's very interesting

these guys are just telling you, in their own unique way, that they already know all about this, probably tried it out in secret way before now and are certain they can study the phenomenon without sucking us all into the void.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by undo]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Well I don't know about waiting for a black hole.. But it's quite possible that we are being watched to see if we kill ourselves off or not just in general.

Shows how brilliant the Drake equation is.

en.wikipedia.org...

-ChriS

[edit on 9-7-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
hey Gigatronix,

We've had patents for free energy for over a hundred years. Research Nikolai Tesla and the Wardenclyffe Tower. The patents were bought out by J.P. Morgan (Illuminati Bloodline) as soon as Tesla died.

There are new patents though. The MEG (Motionless ElectroMagnetic Generator) Thomas Bearden. Also check out George Greene. Free Energy it turns out is incredibly simple, but the energy companies buy these patents out or bully the creators so that they can keep the power of non-renewable resources.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
From my understanding, this is kind of like when we dropped the first nuclear bomb...we were pretty sure the chain reaction wouldn't go on forever...but, we weren't 100% sure...but we dropped it and figured it out.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

On the other hand what would be the down side if the black holes they create start bwhaving in a way they didnt expect them too? I sure wont like to be here for that one.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by yellowcard

On the other hand what would be the down side if the black holes they create start bwhaving in a way they didnt expect them too? I sure wont like to be here for that one.

Well.. There are some things you should probably know first before believing that black holes are going to destroy the earth. If the "Hawking radiation" model is correct it means that large black holes slowly deteriorate or "evaporate" over time. This obviously means that a "micro black hole" would probably only exist for an extremely short period of time (depending on its mass) before it simply disappears. Therefore, the length of time a micro black hole exists is directly related to it's mass and density. Therefore, even the smallest black holes would probably only exist within miniscule time scales (we're talking Planck time here). The only period of time we have been acurrately able to measure is the "attosecond", which is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the length of time we are talking about with regards to Planck time.

If micro black holes are possible (scientists believe they are) then it is possible there are black holes much more numerous on these smaller scales while there are probably much fewer super-massive black holes in the universe. This could be the very explanation for dark energy and why we are seeing the universe expanding in all directions.

Some scientists think that all black holes have a corresponding "white hole" which operates exactly opposite of a black hole since it expels matter into the universe while a black hole takes it in. If so, this matter undergoes extreme conditions passing through the event horizon and so distorts the quantum makeup of the universe that it could very well go back in time and be expelled in completely different parts of the universe. Possibly even millions of years before the black hole that created the white hole even existed (which is pretty mind blowing in itself). This means that it could be quite possible that these miniature white holes are popping into existence ALL over the universe and expelling small amounts of atomic/subatomic matter. But this "matter being shot back in time" would depend on whether or not we can go back in time due to exceeding the speed of light. We know that the laws of physics may not exactly be breakable, but they CAN be bent. The only question is to what degree this is possible..

It may even be that the entire reason the big bang occurred is because of these white holes being compressed into a smaller and smaller universe (since all black holes that could now be sending matter back to that time period would have a smaller and smaller area for the white hole to expel that material. This is because the universe has been expanding since the big-bang which means that if you were ot go back in time the universe would inevitably be smaller and smaller. Pretty simple).

Some scientists also believe that the connection between a black hole and it's corresponding white hole is a wormhole. And if so, then every black hole would have an exit on the other side of it's own corresponding wormhole (this may be a little too star trek for some, but bear with me). If we could ever control gravity to the degree where we could negate the crush of gravity (by creating negative gravity artifically) within a black hole, we could simply pass through the event horizon and come out on the other side of th wormhole completely fine.

But there are all kinds of interesting dilemmas that are simply unanswerable when dealing with time travel as we all know.. The pool cue paradox is my personal favorite..

1-You shoot a pool cue into a small wormhole.
2-The pool cue travels through the wormhole towards the exit.
3-The pool cue exits the wormhole on the other side having traveled back in time to the exact moment it was about to enter the wormohole.
4-The pool cue hits the other pool cue traveling towards the entrance, thereby preventing it from entering the wormhole altogether.

What would happen? Would they both simply vanish? THESE are the kinds of things we have no idea about.. And the paradoxes only get more complicated..

Sorry for my rant, but these are the things I think about.. In 2004 I talked to my stepfather about my idea of how black holes might be able to accelerate matter and energy not only to critical density at the event horizon, but possibly past the speed of light altogether sending it back in time. However looking at a black hole's event horizon we would have no idea where this accelerated matter has gone because it would no longer exist in this dimension or time-frame altogether. It would not be directly visible or, otherwise, directly observable.

Then last year I heard about this idea of white holes which, ironically, is extremely similar to the idea I had in 2004. But before last year I had no knowledge of these white holes.. I guess sometimes we all think alike..

-ChriS

[edit on 16-7-2008 by BlasteR]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join