It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Foods Nasty Flavors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Years agon I was reading a National Geographic and they showed a photo in Thai of a Fried Rat and Dog Stand. I still have the photo. It seemed to me to be a really nasty thing to be eating. But I guess if you are hungry enough a person will eat anything. I mean even cannibals eat humans. But I think I would just stave or eat tree bark or something.

So in this post I just hought we coupld talk about some wierd foods in the world and weird foods we have eaten. Try not to be gross about it though, don't want anyone getting sick on their computers. I have a friend that has eaten Belut... which if you don't know what that is well I will include a link for the discription.

The strangest thing I have eaten, that people get all ukky about is blood pudding, or black pudding. It is a Scotish dish. It's the high end blood parts of an animal... ie kidneys, liver, blood etc... and mixed with scotish oatmeal, it is fried up with butter. It really does taste good.

So get a snack, set down, and lets have some fun...
www.weird-food.com...

This is a fried rat stand in Thai

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
mmmmm. I long for black pudding. Only get it about once a year.

Y'know, it seems to me that whatever we are socialized with, what we grow up with, isn't disgusting. I remember eating brains once, and once I got past the nasty texture, they really weren't bad. Cow brains. I grew up eating heart, liver, kidneys of beef, elk, deer. I guess that's as bad as it got for me. Oh wait, I forgot chilimac. I just LOVE chilimac. Now that's disgusting. People here eat roe -- the eggs -- of say, kingfish, or dolphin[fish] for breakfast. Ugh. Nasty fishiness to me. I guess it's mostly perspective.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaimless

Black pudding isn't one of my faves.. I think its the oats.Just not made to match with body parts.

Calamari,when done badly.is just the springiest food ever.
Frogs legs r cool..so are snails.

I won't go into road kill and foraged foods.

Sickliest food ever??
MacDonalds..

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Ewwwwwww....you can eat those slimey green frog legs that jump and are so disgusting????

You should try pigs feet stew!! Now thats a delicacy i havent made in years!!!!!
With the right vintage wine it knocks your socks off!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Sounds like roast pigs trotters and 'crackling'/pork scratching here..
It's served in pubs with a nice ice-cold pint of real ale. mmmm

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
A friend of mine goes to a restaurant in Florida that serves fried bat. She says they don't have a lot of taste - that they are just crunchy.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
FRog legs? They're WONderful!! I haven't thought about that in a long time. There was a place aboutt 50 miles south of Salmon called the 28 Club, and we went there for frog legs and it was a delicacy to us.

Oh crap. I've transmogrivied into that old phart stage wherein one laments fondly about past mastications. ugh.

Okay, to recover somewhat on topic, a local delicacy here is called cowfoot. There's a very good reason it's called that. Y'know, I'm pretty open minded, I think, but certain things in life I've not had to try to know they didn't fit.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
ha ha!

In my family, we call pigs feet LE PIE, you have to say it with a French accent like calling Targets TARGET in French. Its not funny when its typed.
Anyway, since frogs are my phobia
there's no way i'd masticate one of those babies

Fried bats?

I dont think, i know i'd vomit

Froglegs are always in the back of my mind when i go into a restaurant and the texture of the chicken is
questionable.
Whats more expensive frog legs or chicken?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
No one has mentioned 'mountain oysters'... fried pig nu... er, ba... er, testicles. Something I haven't had the ba... er, testicles to try yet, but I've heard they're real good.

I've personally never figured out why people get all grossed out when I mention fried rattlesnake though... that IS delicious!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Whats more expensive frog legs or chicken?

Def frogs legs.
Fortunately I had a 'dealer' in Dubai..
A few beers and Pierre would sort me out with a 'fix'

Another 'weird' taste was the stuffed vine leaves in Greece.They REALLY have a fixation for Dill over there..
They put it in everything..Must be cheap or something.

I'll try anything once but the one thing I really don't like is when they put those finely sliced nuts on desserts.. it's just plain wrong!!

It's like ice-cream with sprouts or something.. they just SHOULDN'T be in the same serving.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Chickens feet at yum-cha....quite exquisite

Also pig intestine at another Chinese restaurant, with lots of chilli, onions and some kind of bean...

Peace

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I just found this site... hm... I am not going to post any of the photos up... cause its disgusting, but I will provide a link.

One of the dishes on this page is called, "Beef Pizzle" which is a bull penis. Now I am not saying this to be banned, it's an actual food that people eat. But I am really grossed out of the thought of cooking it and eating it. Sound worse than disgusting! There are a lot of other nasty dishes on the site as well.

My mom once fixed cows tongue for a meal (I wasn't around for this, thank goodness), did all the crap you have to to prepare it, and then she couldn't eat it.

I would try frog legs, not pigs feet, that sounds gross. I haven't tried snake yet. I can't see myself eating brains at all. I guess somewhere in China or Japan the eat monkey brains while the monkey is still alive. Some countries eat bugs. Which may not be to bad, their inners look kind of like oysters and I love oysters.

www.deependdining.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Don't worry.. Bull willie and sheep's testicles aren't an unheard of dish..
But call me homophobic or just sympathizing with them having them lopped off..
They're just NOT going to end up on my plate.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
OMG OMG
We bought this interesting looking cheese from France. It's called Morbier, but we remember it as "morbid". We bought it out of town, so when we got it home, opened it, smelled it, and nearly died from the smell, we couldn't return it easily.
The next time we were in that city, we decided that the cheese just must have gone "bad", and so we bought more to try! OMG this time we got past the smell but decided to taste it, and nearly died from the taste.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If you really think about it, almost everything besides fruit, vegetables, and grains is pretty gross.

Eggs: Chicken embryos. Yummy!
Milk: Animal breast milk. Yummy!
Meat: The corpse/flesh of an animal. Yummy!
Wine: Fermented grape juice. Yummy!
Cheese/Yogurt: Bacteria cultures. Yummy!

Etc.

Not that I don't love all of the above but when you start to think about what you are really eating, it can make you squirm, regardless of how used to it you are.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Anyone here like Limburger cheeze or Liverworst... actually I like them both, but most people hate them

Oh and I haven't seen anyone mention Liver either. And if you think about eating a chunk of someones liver, well that is pretty disgusting.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I love liverworst! I have had cow tongue (tongue burritos are the best), alligator, dolphin (a real long time ago when I was a kid). Fried squid are the best when done right (so tender). I believe in trying all foods at least once.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ooo argentus " mmmmm. I long for black pudding. Only get it about once a year. "

being the big hairy scotsman that i am, i cant go without my roll on black putting or haggis and brown sauce every morning, washed down with some Irn Bru... Both are served in my office canteen.

You guys also need to try the scottish delicacy of " deep fried Mars bar "..

Absolutely awesome!

[edit on 14-7-2008 by zeetroyman]

new topics

top topics

join