It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theorist: As a Mental Illness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's consensus reality. If you took this group and had a consensus reality you would have much different results than the general population.

Are we more informed? I'd say absolutly.

Most of us can articulate the whole matrix idea. Many still have no idea.

There is no doubt in my mind that introducing conspiracy people as wide eyed mel gibsons is in "their" favour.

My psychosis started with 911 then i slid into the crazy world of fractional banking and just about lost my marbles. My doctor told me to stay away from the income tax act.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
"Let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theorist" George HW Bush.
An independent viewpoint that differs from the conventional and explores an overlooked avenue is the kind of greatness that America rest's her very foundations on. We who dare to look power in the eye and say we see another way things COULD HAVE HAPPENED are the ones who seek the truth.
Truth does not fear inquiry..and the sad thing about truth is ..IT DOES NOT ALWAYS MAKE US LOOK GOOD.
Ok we wanted control of the oil..and to help our buddy's in Texas out and make some money while gaining strategic position in the region..OK?
I mean its pretty simple who benefits.
To speak a truth we see that the powers that be DENY does not make us conspiracy theorist..it makes us rationalist and realist..Jaundiced certainly distrustful to the point of paranoia..perhaps.. I much prefer a nation of people who will ask and keep asking questions...than the "DEAR LEADER" of your Kim Jong Ils...Democracy affords us the right to speak right and ask questions..and BUSH and THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH in General Karl Rove..TOO are going to find that out one way or another.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

I think these people who want to paint all conspiracy theorists with a broad brush as mentally insane are just dumb. Conspiracy theorists contain some wackos but every sect of society has its share of crazy s. I would say most conspiracy theorists are smart and have a question nature and curiosity for the world around them.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
To OP, I have not read anything besides your title, yet. I will, though. Sometimes it benefits you to post your point before it is tainted by what you read. As for your title, I won't go so far as to say conspiracy theorizing is a mental illness. HOWEVER, having close and dear family members that work in the mental health field, I feel confident that paranoid views (common more-than-less among conspiracy theorists) are one of the markers indicative of mental illness. Now, obviously conspiracies are real--they've existed and will form in the future. Not even close to everyone who believes in them are quacks. But it would behoove us (sane) people around here to admit at least that there indeed is a significant minority that fall under the category of mentally ill--as inadequately broad as that definition may be.

Now I'll read your op, OP and the replies and reply in kind

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
All I have to say about this is, we have conspiracy theorists...in this regard, about religion, and people call them mad. What about the folks who blindly follow most of these religions? Are they not mad too? Surely, like conspiracy theorists(I am guilty of being one), they are mad too.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Oh my goodness.... you can't be serious!
A conspiracy theory stating that the conspiracy theorists are all part of a conspiracy... have they all gone mentally insane!? Have you all gone mad or something or do you all have MPD or ADD!

But, I suppose it is a logical question from the standpoint of the linked articles author... sometimes I ask myself "Am I crazy?" but before I can get an answer in.. I must do some research to find out why I would even ask that to begin with. Halfway through, I come up with my own conclusions that I shouldn't even be asking myself that question to begin with... and I forget what I was doing and go to get a taco or two. What was that about ADD?

Nevermind, while I was out and about... I met this man named Mr. Black, and a Couple named Pot and Kettle that I have invited over to share some stories, I just hope they all get along.

Carry on, I seemed to have lost my direction....
T-

[edited for seriousness]

[edit on 1-7-2008 by telemetry]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Since I couldn't seem to get my last massively edited post to go through.... I'll state my claim:

Mental ilness... nah, thats my foot!
Attention to minute detail... yes... and?
A vacant mind...?

Hey, that means it's open right?

T-

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I like reading this site. I don't feel you are a bunch of paranoid types. You seem like open minded thinkers to me. Most know not to believe every word on here or anywhere else on the internet or television. Take fear out of your quest for knowledge and you'll be fine.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The person that wrote "conspiracy theorist: as a mental illness" doesn't even realize that they wrote a conspiracy theory. Yes, this thread is actually a conspiracy theory, so that would mean the writer is calling thyself "mentally ill". What a hypocrite!!!

link   
damn double post.....

Ill fill it with more info.

I actually think that "conspiracy theories" are mentally good for you. It trains the brain to not believe everything you read. Anyone who believes everything they are told, and doesn't question authority, or question anything, is mentally ill. It is not healthy to believe everything you are spoon fed. It is healthy to always think of alternative explanations for things, because only mentally ill people can not think of alternative explanations.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by ALLis0NE]

link   
wow, tripple post, I had to edit this out. So sorry for my tech. problems.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I think people that follow the 'official story' about anything without at least checking that story's facts are the ones that need their heads checked.

A bit of skepticism and disbelief is healthy in todays society that is built on mogul-driven propaganda and government-funded media.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
...conspiracy theorists change their so called evidence in response to each part of the conspiracy that is debunked. As soon as one delusion is unmasked, they simply invent another to replace it, and deny the first ever exsisted. Theorists aften argue that those who debunk such information are themselves involved in the conspiracy.

Did anyone else notice this description fits modern scientists to a "T"? ESPECIALLY this one: "As soon as one delusion is unmasked, they simply invent another to replace it, and deny the first ever exsisted.

If anyone doubts me, look up how the Wright Brothers were treated by scientists. Then ask any scientist how he thinks the Wright Brothers were treated.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
...conspiracy theorists change their so called evidence in response to each part of the conspiracy that is debunked. As soon as one delusion is unmasked, they simply invent another to replace it, and deny the first ever exsisted. Theorists aften argue that those who debunk such information are themselves involved in the conspiracy.

Most conspiracy theories are not set in stone, and are rough drafts. Most of them are based off of missing facts, or facts that were obtained by bad sources, and a LOT of theories are based off of real facts.

For example, 9/11. There is so much information that is being hidden, so many missing facts, so many missing links, and all the conspiracy theories are based off of this missing information. As soon as more information is known, obviously theories are going to change and make up for the new information. No sane person will stick to a conspiracy theory that has REAL facts against it. Obviously though, until the new information is confirmed, conspiracy theorists will not acknowledge it, even if it is confirmed unknowingly by someone else.

I see were the writer is going with this, it does seem like a bottomless pit of theories, but only mentally ill people actually believe the theories.

Talking, and writing theories does not mean believing in them. Heck I write all kinds of b.s. but it doesn't mean I believe them, I just like to talk about it and see what rings true, and what doesn't.

I personally like to start a theory, and then mold it and shape it until the theory is improved with facts. That's how you find truth.

Just my opinion though.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
conspiracy therorists are always wrong. think about it . when the purported conspiracy becomes proven reality,its no longer a conspiracy,its fact.
the reality is that conspiracy theorists keep the conspirerers at least in check BY USING THEIR HEADS FOR THOUGHT INSTEAD OF A HAT RACK. NO MATTER HOW WRONG THEY MAY BE ,THEIR THOUGHT MAY INVOKE AN IDEA IN SOMEONE ELSE THAT DOES SUPPLY USEFUL INFO OR INSIGHT.
WHAT WOULD THIS WORLD BE WITHOUT THE THINKERS OR DREAMERS?
if seeing things in a different way is said to be insanity,i am entitled to another government check every month

ah ha! another conspiracy! the governmant is holding back what i'm entitled to!!! i'll have to start a thread about it

i'll take the dreamer or the mind thats open to analyzation anyday,otherwize we're just sheep waiting to be slaughtered.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I think, if Conspiracy Theorists would be viewed as mentally ill, they would only be so in the context of other mental problems. I.e., if you would label "conspiracy theorism" as mentally ill, it would not be the mental problem in itself, but rather a manifestation of the mental problem which lies elsewhere.

Of course, this would presume a specific form of "conspiracy theorism" which would be considered "ill". I mean, many conspiracy theorists actually make sense in their argumentative structure, they provide information, avoid logical fallacies etc.. It would be hard to call someone like this "ill".

The "ill" ones will be the ones who will cry out the loudest about this "ill" label, since the "proper" ones know that their argumentation and logical consistency is untouched by this mere label (quite similar to genocide denial, if you think about it).

The problem with the possible characterization of "conspiracy theorism" as "ill" is the mislabling of logically and argumentatively proper theorists as the "ill" ones, which would be a good way to get discredit someone.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sdrawkcabII

man you hit that one on the head. all i gotta say is watch the late George Carlin talk about religion. he made it funny, but did you think he was kidding?
if organized religion isn't a conspiracy,nothing is.

my favorite was that god is almighty,but he has a problem handling money

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Spectre0o0]

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Spectre0o0]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Lets just use common sense, some conspiaracies have enouhg valid facts that a theory can be stated, othes like the WTC & building being blown up or rockets fired at a building that have no merit whatsoever need to be disreguarded. Now those people who persue theories that have no merit, nor any actionable facts but yet they twist and wind till they find something in their minds that make sense, I do believe have a mental illness. I have seen a paranoid conspiracy theorist upclose, he was a good friend of mine but in the end he became consumed with paranoia, paranoia about everything which seem to stem from the one theory that he believed to be true. It was sad to see an educated man reduced to really what amounted to nothing. I believe some people push some theories not because the believe in it but its a means to an end, i.e. by proving one thing you can point a finger at something or someone else. The fuel behind the trade tower 7 is pure hatered for President Bush, and in my opinion that is a mental illness when you would let one emotion totally consume rational thinking. I do believe the study you source you cited was merely an observation of people who believe outlandish ideas. Some theories tagged consipiracy have grounds such as goverment coverups. Our goverment is secretive, more than likely the goverment or military has done someting or has something they dont want everyone to know, so that theory is plausable.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I think believing a conspiracy theory eg: terrorists hijacked 4 planes with boxcutters & hit the WTC's with pinpoint accuracy with no intervention from the US military, and without concrete proof, is yes a mental illness.

It clearly shows the 'believer' is unable to form their own conclusions & that their mind is dependant on the govt & the media for forming its beliefs. This is a tragic place to be as clearly such a mind has ceased to function as god intended & is now dependant on outside influences.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Nonchalant]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
It's not an Illness, but can become one if one is not carefully guided. However since most, and let me say MOST people have a decent filter intact, they can and often do rule out that which makes no sense. But then they are somehow also the same people who believe in magic and Jesus Christ.

The truth is that with our freedom, we also got the ability to 'create' our own realities and quite a few live happily, blissfully and ignorantly in their own little self created worlds. They INTERACT with the outside world, but doesn't belong as they view them selves as being a single being looking from the outside in or apart of a unique group that allows them to express them selves.

The human mind sadly craves guidance and assurance that everything is as it should be, if they don't get that, they create it. Such is the majority of those who believe in things that are completely outside of reality. But this in tern feeds some important elements of the human psyche. One for instance is the need to be unique and special. So they choose what seems most interesting and start to 'adjust' their reasoning in order to make sense of what they find to be a happy 'escape'.

It ISN'T an actual illness, but it can lead to it in the form of a twisted and distorted view of reality. Once that happens, a persons reasoning is corrupt and damaged, making them irrational and potentially harmful to them selves and the people around them. Such as Christian or Muslim fanatics. Interesting studies have shown that people's believe systems are no different than from those of children when they want to believe in Santa Clause. The only difference is that, where imagination has a greater role in childhood, the adult life craves much of what's been lost during their childhood.

Since modern times, especially the growth of major metropolis environments around the world, people have developed 'unnatural' fears cause by such things as stress.
People who have phobias, that which is an irrational fear of something hides in more and more people today. They can have fear of insects, or torn paper, two very different ends of the spectrum, but the phobia is measured by their reactions. Stress makes a person view things differently, mentally they cannot differentiate between what's reasonable sometimes causing them to have a mental breakdown.

For people with a deep need for believing in UFOs, Religion, or let's just say the fantastic and out of the everyday reality we live in, often are people who are escapist. They are escaping the stress, horror and unsatisfying life they live in. Some people actually have a natural need to look for the unexplained and try to solve it. This is a natural thing and a very good thing, but people are not always born with a correct set of tools to filter through the massive garbage we're sorting through every day. I'm by all means NOT, REPEAT NOT saying that UFOs don't exist, because they do. UFOs are UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS! Not actual Space Ships from another world, till proven so. When evidence start to gather on one particular case, then people can decide through scientific analysis, just how possible it is that it's from another world. Are we alone in the vastness of the universe? No, naturally we're not, it's ridicules to think that we'd be the only living beings suffering in the universe.

So, can Conspiracy Theorists be medicated to not be so involved in this field? Sure... You can medicate them, make them not care about it, just as they've made drugs to help those who gamble. But all they are doing is making matters worse by CLASSIFYING this as an illness that is treatable. It's not treatable via drugs. Verbal guidance is the only way to sort out the threads that's gotten entangled.

Group dynamics are very powerful when concentrated such as in these kinds of forums.

If you are interesting in group influences and persuasion as well as manipulation look at the ZIMBARDO experiment.
www.prisonexp.org...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join