It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theorist: As a Mental Illness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Very interesting views on a Conspiracy Theorist's. I will quote a few interesting views:

A conspiracy theorist's attempts to project it's fiction onto real-life people, groups and organisations. It purports to actually be true that which really is fiction and this is the problem. Their attempt to project into reality that which at best is fiction is one reason I believe they have a mental illness.

By way of example look at all the religious conspiracy theories here on
youtube. Some of these conspiracy theorist's project their thought off on others and expound some of the wildest things one can imagine. The problem is they are playing with a loaded deck. By that I mean, if one debunks their theories that person is sucked into their black hole and become part of the conspiracy.

So from what I got from that was: Debunkers are part of the fuel that keep the fire going.

One person who is a conspiracy theorist says he gives an "accurate account of history." The problem is that in his paranoid imagination he believes he is right. Again, it does not matter if you show him to be totally wrong, because to him you then become part of the conspiracy. In short they have lost all touch with reality.

He and other conspiracy theorists change their so called evidence in response to each part of the conspiracy that is debunked. As soon as one delusion is unmasked, they simply invent another to replace it, and deny the first ever exsisted. Theorists aften argue that those who debunk such information are themselves involved in the conspiracy.

If some new information appears to undermine a conspiracy theory, either the plot is changed to make it consistent with the new information, or the theorist questions the legitimacy of the new information. This is something one can see over and over again in their comments.

They spend countless hours looking for things to support their theory. The sad thing is that when they find information that shows them wrong they simply bypass it and find people [and sources] to support their theory. They have the Idea that the greater the lie the more easily it is swallowed by the likeminded people.

Source

Yes, this guy or gal has interesting views. But when you take this all into context he/she is developing his/her own conspiracy on conspiracy theorists. Thus creating a conspiracy against conspiracy theorist's.

What does everyone else think of this?

-Kdial1

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I find it funny that despite a history of human interaction marked by large scale conspiracy and just general exploitation of man by man, anyone who basically just sees it as a continuing trend and sees humanity in it's flawed reality is labelled as a paranoid delusional.

Someone is really scared of the conspiracy theorist mindset imo.

Of course there is a line between healthy skepticism and paranoia, but only a few people cross it. And even when they do, they can still be right about whatever conspiracy they obcess about.

So there is really nothing gained by going after conspiracy theorists in such a way, unless someone is part of the mainstream and wants to preserve the mainstream worldview. That wonderfull mainstream that gives us an elite controlled economy and global environmental collapse.

I have to take my meds now. Oh wait, I'm not on any.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Zepherian]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Many people and doctors say that "Conspiracy Theorist's" are mentally ill and are Paranoid Schizophrenics. Well I have this question then: Many people are brought into the conspiracies through hearsay, so this so called mental illness is very contagious! Look at how fast ATS is growing. So can you doctors scientifically tell me (since that is how medicine has evolved) how this contaminant is transmitted to so many people and is so contagious? Please no philosophical reasons, since that would be going back to Ancient medince.

-Kdial1

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Interesting.

Definition of a Mental Illness:

Any of various conditions characterized by impairment of an individual's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning, and caused by social, psychological, biochemical, genetic, or other factors, such as infection or head trauma. Also called emotional illness, mental disease; Also called mental disorder.

Source

An adequate example (IMHO) of this ''impairment'' can be categorised here:
When people are so desperate for information, they will bite your hand off to get it (thread)!!!

As you can adequately see, 200 'free minded' people attacking other 'free minded' people over one paragraph by a not so free minded person, flagging the work in a thread with actually no work to view, and continually bashing someone that is not actually there: who will never read 200 posts where 35,000 people have viewed this infighting over a mere morsel of nothing.

P.s. just needed to get that off my chest. But a clear example of a dog chasing its own tail for 24 hours IMO. That behaviour, whilst (possibly) not an illness, seriously needs questioned on its intent.

Apologies if this was somewhat off topic.

Regards,

Disinfo Agent Breifne.
(Working from somewhere inside my head under the cover of a tin foil hat that prevents me getting a mental illness under the pretext of ''conspiraciasm embalysm'') - poor spelling not an illness, however, my head is telling me otherwise!!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Conspiracy theorists are ill? but the people who commit the conspiracy which usually results in the death of innocent people are ok?

I think where the mind screw is here is that you truth seekers are being herded in to a label when in fact the label of conspiracy theorists should be put upon the debunkers.

So read the original post above and realise that its the debunkers the article is talking about.

Everytime a debunker gets trashed ( and they do daily in the 911 threads) they make up crazy misleading theories to explain away the most obvious in attempts to obsefucate the truth.

So really its debunkers and ignorant people that have the issue and not the good people at ATS and around the world.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
They spend countless hours looking for things to support their theory. The sad thing is that when they find information that shows them wrong they simply bypass it and find people [and sources] to support their theory. They have the Idea that the greater the lie the more easily it is swallowed by the likeminded people.

Personally I consider this educating myself. I can't speak for all of us plagued on this board by consyphilli dyptheoria though. Maybe I'm disillusioned and don't realize that the likeminded information proving me wrong is more valid than the people [and sources] I pull from. I mean who can argue with what they see on television. I should just rethink my whole outlook on life here.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Lets try this with the proper corrections in the article.

DEBUNKERS attempt to project it's fiction onto real-life people, groups and organisations. It purports to actually be true that which really is fiction and this is the problem. Their attempt to project into reality that which at best is fiction is one reason I believe they have a mental illness.

By way of example look at all the religious debunkers here on
ATS. Some of these DEBUNKERS project their thought off on others and expound some of the wildest things one can imagine. The problem is they are playing with a loaded deck. By that I mean, if one debunks their theories that person is sucked into their black hole and become part of the conspiracy.

One person who is a DEBUNKER says he gives an "accurate account of history." The problem is that in his paranoid imagination he believes he is right. Again, it does not matter if you show him to be totally wrong, because to him you then become part of the conspiracy. In short they have lost all touch with reality.

He and other DEBUNKERS change their so called evidence in response to each part of the conspiracy that is debunked. As soon as one delusion is unmasked, they simply invent another to replace it, and deny the first ever exsisted. DEBUNKERS often argue that those who debunk such information are themselves involved in the conspiracy.

If some new information appears to undermine OFFICIAL STORY, either the plot is changed to make it consistent with the new information, or the DEBUNKERS questions the legitimacy of the new information. This is something one can see over and over again in their comments.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There is so much that is wrong with the excerpt in the original post. While it might be possible that this description of the "conspiracy theorist" as provided does accurately apply to some narrow band of people, it definitely qualifies as a hasty generalization. I'm not very impressed by the critical rigor of the author, honestly, and am in no way dazzled by her insight.

On second thought, it is actually so badly written that I wonder whether this isn't another one of those "object lesson" posts. Well, I'll play along. The fact is, conspiracies DO exist. Sometimes really nasty ones. What's strange to me is that people rarely imagine a benevolent conspiracy; a conspiracy of bright and compassionate people hell-bent on bringing knowledge and perspective to an unreceptive world...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
"In short they have lost all touch with reality."

well of course we have lost all touch with reality, thats because reality doesn't make sense anymore, and it hasn't for a long time

besides no one really lives in reality, its the people that do who are the mentally ill:

"Reality is the worst danger to the human mind" (Brian Pereira)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanZana

You beat me to it! I did the exact same thing, replacing the "conspiracy" word with ,"science", "religion" and "political"! The results were interesting...,

After long consideration I think this person has a mental illness. They cannot mentally accept dissent, and thus all forms of resistance to what they deem acceptable is 'illness'. Poor fool. Medicate, medicate, medicate.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The easiest way to cast a shadow of doubt against a group of people, in any form, is to label them as insane or unstable.

They peg anyone who thinks outside of the box or dares to question authority as nut job tin foil hat wearers and it instanty undermines the entire field and everyone who participates in it.

This is how disinformation works.

Edit to add: I believe this to be the reasoning behind the more incredible and outlandish theories that get so much attention, they purposely insert blatant nonsense in next to the legitimate conspiracy theories in order to make everyone appear crazy (reptilians, sould catchers on the moon etc etc)

[edit on 6/30/08 by BlackOps719]

[edit on 6/30/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

Thanks! The definition says it all. Whosoever defines "normal" cognitive function, is the one who gets to decide who's crazy, and who's not. I'd say, with the rate at which certain theories are gaining acceptance, that the "norm" is currently in flux, thus the article, when the words "debunker" and "conspiracy theorist" are swapped, is equally as valid.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I've recalled a few interesting conversations when a young adult and newly married, looked for advice from older generations of co-workers who also spoke of past conspiracies such as oil in the 70's and wars like WW2 during our lunch breaks. The one would basically start these conversations and joke about it and say: "Isn't that something?!" while others there would disagree with him.

I did actually notice him as being somewhat odd from the others at the table. His stories kinda stuck with me though and made me think more than I should have about it.

Although they might be right, they pull others into their way of thinking without proof by filling in the pieces like a schizophrenic. I think there are extremes of many and noticed this on ATS also. Unfortunately, there are gangs and cliques of like minded people here also?

I've been told by others that I was misinformed, delusional, schizo etc.
Some are obviously very impressionable and used as pawns in mind games. It's likely the government does this as well and has studied it quite throughly. After having read this here, it then also clicked as another piece.

I see a world and society deluded and in denial in many ways, such as; using others as diversions and distractions. "It's NOT me, it's YOU." or US and THEM.

I recall hanging on by my last 'thread' around 9/11. But, I've since recalled drawing pictures of it when I was around 11 years old. So, after becoming better stabilized; Delusional memories of a repressed childhood?

Are psychic people and remote viewers also deluded? Yeah, I think so. But, by whom? (here I go again........)

I'm on disability, so I must be mentally ill= ATS members %?!!

No wonder so many have me on ignore..........go figure.

So, I gues the word might be extremists. That would cover a lot of people these days.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Did somebody say, John Lear? I believe he falls right into this category.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
Whosoever defines "normal" cognitive function, is the one who gets to decide who's crazy, and who's not.

Agreed, the people who set the parameters of "Normal" and what is "Socially Acceptable" are the ones who decide who is crazy and who is not. Which then leads me to another question: Are Crazy People actually Crazy? And are those of us who "arent" (I use this arguable term, VERY loosley) just the ones who fall into the mould made by society?

Everything is questionable when it comes to State of Mind - if we were conditioned in an environment full of "crazy people", we might perhaps have a different outlook on what is normal and what isn't. To us, the crazy people would be "Normal" since that is the state of which we grew up in. It wouldn't be until we had contact with outsiders, then we would see the difference from "Normal" and "Crazy", and perhaps to us, the Normal people might actually look Crazy....

Are we, as a collective whole, actually the Crazy Ones? I like to think that we're not crazy - we just think a little bit more outside the box than most people, and I think it scares them. The topics we talk about and the "possibilities" we discuss, might be a little bit too much for "Normal" people to grasp or entertrain. It doesn't make it wrong, and It doesnt make us crazy - It just makes us thinkers.

- Carrot

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I like to believe that theorists are just like the great philosophers of the past. The power to use imagination, especially in this day and age, to come up with a "what if" scenario is a powerful tool that is disregarded because it promotes people thinking for themselves and saying "What if the powers are wrong?" Thus we are crazy because we are a threat. Ideally no one should be categorized as crazy, but there are a lot of ideals we will never see.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
OK..a conspiracy that portends to explain how a conspiracy theorist conspires to tell you the conspiring party is realy only a conspiracy if and when that conspiracy is lodged in the fact that they themselves have conspired to creat a conspiracy against the conspiracy theorist????

As Monty Python was so apt to say......"My Brain Hurts!!!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Your father was a hampster and your mother smelt of elderberry.

Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Another question relevant to this thread which you guys have touched upon before me and I'm just rewording:

Is normal the same as desirable?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i`m not dissing the OP...
but this is a good example of PROPAGANDA..

mental illness my BUTT....
yes for the EXTREME CASES who believe anything that they read....ok...

but for the rest.... NO WAY BUD

that would mean that this list of people are all mentally insane.

Ron Paul
dr. Steven Jones
Keith Olberman
Susan Sarandon
Charlie Sheen
Kicinich
Bob Barr
Connie Fergal(and the canadian action party)
scholars for 911 truth
Aaron Russo
Morgan reynolds
Prof, david griffin
Mark dayton
Lt. Col. Jeff Latas, U.S. Air Force (ret)
Lt. Col. Guy S. Razer, MS, U.S. Air Force (ret)
Capt. Daniel Davis, U.S. Army
David Lynch
John mayer
just to name a few....ALL INSANE????????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join