It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the broadcast of War of the Worlds used as a cover up?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I dont necessarily think it was a coverup, it was my favorite moment in history, but you have to also understand someone had to realize the repurcussions that could have happened and did happen, by this broadcast. How could the Government been blind to the fact that during the 50's the beginnings times of mistrust of the Russians, that a Broadcast saying that Aliens had landed would not create a chaotic event for the public.

I find that hard to belive that there was no prior thought about the broadcast

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Slugfast,

The broadcast actually happened in 1938, not in the beginning of the 50's. It occured pre-WWII and pre-Cold War.

There was no way to predict how the public would react. It was on Welles's daily radio show. He regularly featured plays and skits. To Welles's, it was just another part of the show....that is of course until after the actual broadcast.

I do think it is logical that the US Govt would use the Welles's broadcast as a benchmark for possible public reaction to disclosure.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The musical version and artwork is freely available on kazaa for anyone who wants it. The book is well worth reading too, even though the musical follows it pretty much word for word, its good to read without any outside influences clouding what you get from the orignal text

Just a question guys, was Justin Hayward touted as the producer/writer/director etc of this in the US? its Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds over here (UK) and Justin apparently only performed on it. id be interested to know

as for the origianl question, i think what others have posted is right, no cover up or even a governmental test, just Welles doing what he did, and very well at that. Although the authorities may well have changed policy after seeing the after effects

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i listened to the radio transcript a few times in the past

throughout the reading, they reminded listeners that they were reading HG Wells, and it was not real.

i think people do what they usually do: hear, scream, jump out of the window

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This just goes to show how many stupid people there are about.

It was mentioned from the start and repeatedly through the broadcast that it was a dramatisation.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Maybe the reports that people jumped out of windows was a conspiracy of its own, used to convince cospiracy theorists that releasing information would cause mass hysteria and thus they should give up their attempt to get the government to release information about UFO's....

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
sorry bout the 50's mix up, too much studyign has my brain boggled. I still think there are too many restraints on broadcasting that they Govt didn't fully explore the oppurtunity that public craziness could happen.

But again I could be wrong, but as a believe in Aliens, I tend to be skeptical about most things. I am the skeptic of my group of friends, the one with the radical ideas. The one who belives in Aliens and all that good stuff : )

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
This just goes to show how many stupid people there are about.

It was mentioned from the start and repeatedly through the broadcast that it was a dramatisation.

If you listened to the original broadcast it doesn't say anything about a dramitization. In the future when it was played on the radio after the incident they made sure they mentioned that it was a dramatization and/or reading H.G. Wells/Orilson Wells. Here is FCC's outlook.
ftp.fcc.gov...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by valnrick
If you listened to the original broadcast it doesn't say anything about a dramitization. In the future when it was played on the radio after the incident they made sure they mentioned that it was a dramatization and/or reading H.G. Wells/Orilson Wells. Here is FCC's outlook.
ftp.fcc.gov...

It doesnt say anywhere that there werent any warnings, everything I have read or heard about the broadcast stated it all happened even though there were repeated warnings before and throughout the show.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join