It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Effect of Black Hole in Solar System?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I was wondering how close a Black hole would need to get to earth for it to become too hostile an enviroment...

Also what types of conditions and changes would we see both on Earth and in our local solar system....

What would eventualy lead up to the end for humans on Earth if that situation were to arise....

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by UnusualMe

You know what...I asked myself the very same thing last week after reading a thread on 2012 and the Hopi Prophecies.

By the way i love your signature.

quote below
A black hole is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing, not even light, can escape its pull after having fallen past its event horizonen.wikipedia.org...

Also this sight is good.

If a black hole existed, would it suck up all the matter in the Universe?

Heck, no. A black hole has a "horizon," which means a region from which you can't escape. If you cross the horizon, you're doomed to eventually hit the singularity. But as long as you stay outside of the horizon, you can avoid getting sucked in. In fact, to someone well outside of the horizon, the gravitational field surrounding a black hole is no different from the field surrounding any other object of the same mass. In other words, a one-solar-mass black hole is no better than any other one-solar-mass object (such as, for example, the Sun) at "sucking in" distant objects
cosmology.berkeley.edu...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Ok just for the fun of it..

A rotating, non stationary, electrically charged black hole, (a.k.a. wormhole) of 5 solar masses appears in the belt outside pluto and is headed straight into the solar system....

now what happens...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
No clue...I have no idea but maybe somebody on line may have a working knowledge of astro physics and help out!

An object in a gravitational field experiences a slowing down of time, called gravitational time dilation, relative to observers outside the field. The outside observer will see that physical processes in the object, including clocks, appear to run slowly. As a test object approaches the event horizon, its gravitational time dilation (as measured by an observer far from the hole) would approach infinity.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
So if my question isn't clear, because I really don't know enough to make it clear..

I guess I would need to know how many solar masses it would need to be to start knocking planets off course enough to effect earths orbit. Earth would need to have to be knocked off course enough to make it uninhabitable.... How long this would take, what the effects would look like both on earth and in the solar system?

It could be done either way, either popping out of thin air at a certain point or approaching the system as something with the qualities more accociated with a wormhole.

If the question would need more data etc.. just add it the way you'd like it as an example.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
If we were on a path with a black hole, coming from Pluto Im pretty sure our planet would first get bombarded with anything less then Earth's mass (Our moon will eventually run in to us). Secondly it will probably strip our magnetic field slowly but surely, so I would guess that we would start seeing weird weather on a huge scale (like The day after tomorrow). Then the Sun would probably burn us alive after our magnetic field has been stripped (at this time our Earth's core would probably be useless, that means a lot of volcanoes erupting at the same time). Stephen Hawking's, theory on black holes once we enter one is that all matter would be crushed and compressed to nothing. However on the other side of a black hole we would see the "Big Bang" all over again. We would probably see all of this before our Earth will get knocked out of orbit, but that also depends the mass of the black hole I mean think about how many suns can fit in Jupiter and we don't feel any gravitational pull from Jupiter.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Solo954]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this will help or not (it will if you are worried about it happening) but black holes simply don't pop up out of thin air, they form after stars die, and only sometimes. Also they don't fly through space like comets so there won't be a black hole whizzing through the solar system sucking up/moving planets.

If your question was simply out of curiosity then I'm sorry that I don't know enough to get the numbers that you're looking for other than to say that the nearest black hole isn't close.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
and by that time when these events start happening, the black hole would have first eaten some planets and gotten stronger. There is no escaping a black hole we would be doomed! Our galaxy is already orbiting a super massive black hole anyway so were FKD off-back.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
No I'm asking in regards to a short story I need to write but I'd like to have at least a semi accurtate account of exactly what would be the cause of human death.

Like one poster said, the weather, our magnetic field, even ozone, tides, volcanos and maybe what we would see as observers from the earth as we looked at the effect the hole was having on our system.

Also the time scale we would have before things got too rough for survival etc...

Is there any sort of website I could get some theoretical answers to this silly question?

new topics

top topics

join