It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France to Implement Three-Strikes Piracy Plan (3 strikes, you're DISCONNECTED!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
I usually don't trust public proxies though, its the same thing as having a backdoor trojan.

Really? What if you don't install any proxy client software? I don't know anything about these proxy clients (possibly trojans?). How about setting up a proxy manually in the browser and torrent client?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
A proxy is when you go through another server to access another one. So the actual website that you're accessing detects the server in the middle.

By doing this, the server in the middle can easily access your computer either because you didn't read the terms and agreements or you automatically downloaded something by using their server.

[edit on 6/25/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
Its a MAC address changer.. For PC .. This is what you need to change a IP address.. (For Static (or fixed) IP addresses) If you have a dynamic IP it will change ever time the modem reboots.

Interesting. I don't get it... does this confuse the ISP somehow, making it impossible to decide if you are the same person as before the MAC address change? I am connected through a modem that is configured with a login / password that basically identifies me to the ISP each time I reboot it. So could you please explain why changing the MAC address is useful?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
First of all let me say that the title to this thread should read "three-yellow cards" and you're disconnected as the French thankfully do not play baseball.
As far as masking your IP, this has come up many times on other threads, your best bet is TOR or Privoxy. For a simpler solution you can also use NetShade.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

By doing this, the server in the middle can easily access your computer either because you didn't read the terms and agreements or you automatically downloaded something by using their server.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. By setting up a proxy in IE or Firefox. I am not accepting anything, nor installing anything. I am not opening any incoming port or running a possible trojan.

If you mean public proxy servers where you need to register, log in, etc., yes, I don't trust them, they might be logging all activities or worse. Better rely on anonymizing proxy servers hacked by the good ol' Russian mafia.
I tried these a few times and they're OK, but it's frightening how many illegal activities, much worse than pirating, transit through these servers. Not sure how safe they are.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nablator

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. By setting up a proxy in IE or Firefox. I am not accepting anything, nor installing anything. I am not opening any incoming port or running a possible trojan.

If you mean public proxy servers where you need to register, log in, etc., yes, I don't trust them, they might be logging all activities or worse. Better rely on anonymizing proxy servers hacked by the good ol' Russian mafia.
I tried these a few times and they're OK, but it's frightening how many illegal activities, much worse than pirating, transit through these servers. Not sure how safe they are.

it doesn't really matter what proxy service or thing you use, you are still going through a server in the middle.

MAC address is the identification code for your wireless adapter or wifi adapter. This is typically used in wifi hotspots where administrators assign your MAC address to a list so that you are allowed to be connected to the hotspot router.

When you use a proxy, the website that your accessing can only detect the IP of the server in the middle but the website cannot detect your IP.

By connecting to a proxy server, you are allowing a person in the middle to handle the information transferred in between. He/She/It can add "extras" to the information and transfer it to your computer.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join