It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France to Implement Three-Strikes Piracy Plan (3 strikes, you're DISCONNECTED!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

France to Implement Three-Strikes Piracy Plan (3 strikes, you're DISCONNECTED!)

www.dailytech.com

Controversial plan finally sees legislative approval

France's presidential cabinet endorsed the controversial “three-strikes” plan late last week, which will disconnect French pirates from their broadband connections if caught downloading illegal material three times.

Set to take effect this January, French web surfers on their third strike will be kicked off their internet connection for a period of one year. For strikes one and two, surfers will receive written warnings via e-mail and registered mail.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I need to point out that this is 3 DOWNLOADS of illegal material. If you're documented to have downloaded pirated material for 3 times then you will be disconnected permanently for 1 year.

French Revolution and a Sixth Republic anyone?

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/24/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well i just have learnt it from you!

It's like for every law: there is the vote...and the application.

In france they are more laws non applied than the other way so let's hope it's the case for this one.

Otherwise, i put a dime on a rapid booming of a system like TOR in france

Once pirate, always pirate

Kind regards

[edit on 24-6-2008 by themaster1]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I don't really know if I like this idea or if I don't.
I don't like the idea of taking away the use of the internet, but if the laws are being enforced with integreaty maby it could work.
Will defently have to ponder this one for a while.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Technitium MAC Address Changer

How To Change MAC Address

1. Starting MAC address changer will list all available network adapters.

2. Select the adapter you want to change the MAC address. You will get the details of your selection below.

3. Click Change MAC button, enter new MAC address and click Change Now button and confirm changes you made when prompted.

4. To restore the original MAC address of the network adapter, select the adapter, click Change MAC button and then click Original MAC button and confirm changes you made when prompted.

NOTE: This tool cannot change MAC address of Microsoft Network Bridge. Network Bridge will automatically use the original MAC address of the first NIC added into bridge with the first octet of MAC address set to 0x02.

---------------------------------------------------

^^ FREEWARE . If your paranoid use it every night .(OR any other mac changer.). It will at least limit what if any they can charge you with ..

Personally i haven't payed for internet in years . But that's a different story :p Comcast ftw :

EDIT: I found a group offering "File sharing insurance"
www.tankafritt.nu...

As a member in Tankafritt.nu you will get all your fines for filesharing covered. If you would get convicted you will also get a T-shirt with the text "I was convicted for filesharing and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" THIS SERVICE IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN SWEDEN AT THE MOMENT

Darn sweeds get all the good stuff lol

[edit on 24-6-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

dll
thats some interesting information. Do you know if there is anything similar available for people using PC?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

dll
thats some interesting information. Do you know if there is anything similar available for people using PC?

Permanently changing the IP address.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I wonder, if you got a family of say 5 where both parents work from home requiring 24/7 online connection and 2 of their older kids use internet daily for college work and other things, then 10 year old JohnnyBoy download a ton of files and get cought 3 times...

Will the goverment effectivly destroy the family?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Changing the mac address won't work. IP address only matters.

In France private companies will monitor P2P networks for the government and report the IP address of users downloading illegal content. Then the ISP will send a mail to the user, or disconnect him/her. I doubt very much any private non-French torrent tracker will be monitored. And there's always good ol' IRC and FTP as a fallback replacement.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka
I wonder, if you got a family of say 5 where both parents work from home requiring 24/7 online connection and 2 of their older kids use internet daily for college work and other things, then 10 year old JohnnyBoy download a ton of files and get cought 3 times...

Will the goverment effectivly destroy the family?

The government will say "it is your responsibility to monitor your children's activities."

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
The government will say "it is your responsibility to monitor your children's activities."

It is also your responsibility to secure your Wifi connection from the friendly hacker in the neighborhood, which is impossible.

[edit on 2008-6-25 by nablator]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nablator

It is also your responsibility to secure your Wifi connection from the friendly hacker in the neighborhood, which is impossible.

Proxies

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Encrypted Proxies for the win! I am currently in the process of getting a couple of proxies on in UK and the other in US. Only reason is to access region locked video content. iPlayer and Hulu ftw!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Encrypted Proxies for the win! I am currently in the process of getting a couple of proxies on in UK and the other in US. Only reason is to access region locked video content. iPlayer and Hulu ftw!

Hulu is only for U.S.? Aw

I usually don't trust public proxies though, its the same thing as having a backdoor trojan.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Hulu is only for U.S.? Aw

I usually don't trust public proxies though, its the same thing as having a backdoor trojan.

I never said anything about public lol. I'm getting a private VPN, I'm still shopping around for the best price/bandwidth ratio. Got any suggestions? I'm looking to spend at most 30 to 40 CND a month.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Its a MAC address changer.. For PC .. This is what you need to change a IP address.. (For Static (or fixed) IP addresses) If you have a dynamic IP it will change ever time the modem reboots.

If anyone wants/needs help i am more than happy to give you a hand.
And may be able to point you to a few small private torrent sites . (Public ones get you caught)

I have worked on like 5 torrent sites (Midnight revolutiontt FTN and TB). Done everything from moderate to sysop .
So if you need any help getting (COU..Legal.GH) Files or setting up your network in any way . Let me know .
I know just about all there is to know about the protocol and functions. And love helping people out

BTW they can deep scan proxies for protocol headers . Encrypted or not .. Heck they just figured out how to deep scan skype.

If you have a US or Canadian ISP . Chances are you could have it for free. lol Gotta love the new surfboards.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
They'll still go for the low hanging fruit before they go after the proxy server guys.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

This is totally unenforcable. It's just a legal nightmare... There is next to zero chance of this law actually working.

These are but a few of the problems...

1. Copyright infringement is a civil offence NOT a criminal offence. This means it's down to the copyright owner to SUE..

If however you are selling counterfeit material under the guise of legit material then it becomes a criminal offence.

2. It is the responsibility of the copyright owner to prove that the accused has infringed...

This means that they have to effectively directly spy on your internet activity to even get close to achieving that, which is in itself and infringement of Human Rights.

3. Packet encryption and Proxy servers totally make a mess of any monitoring of p2p usage at the isp level and Proxy servers totally through off any snooper trackers added to any torrents...

4. If you have a wireless network, and the neighbour then downloaded over your network, and you were falsely accused and it was found to be a false accusation, then it would be the right of the accused to file a counter case against the copyright owner for damages.

5. Hosting sites such as Megaupload and Rapidshare have petabytes of storage capacity. Downloaded over port 80 direct download... No way to detect what has been downloaded.

6. If a family were to run a business over their net connection and their son / daughter downloaded material that was an infringement and the 3 strikes policy applied then the business would go out of business....

The Business owner can then file a counter claim for loss of earnings.

7. The ISP’s earn their biggest revenues through those that require fast connections... what is the point in connecting to ever faster and more expensive line speeds if it is not possible to use them to their full capacity...

There is no way that an ISP will voluntarily cut off their top revenue generators...

8. The Financial logistics of enforcement alone make it a non starter.

With litraly millions of people openly admitting that they download and the millions more that do but never admit it, the court time alone would be so horrendously expensive that the copyright owner would not recover more than it would cost to enforce.

9. For this to work there would have to be a database of offenders set up and distributed to the ISPs, the ISP’s would then have to be legislated against taking on board fileshareres.

This is also unenforceable under European commerce law as it is the businesses right to choose whom they serve. The ISP’s are a conduit by which their users traverse and as such cannot be held responsible for the conduct of its users.

10. Before action can take place and a user get cut off, an injunction has to be taken out against the accused and this can only happen if a civil case is filed and the accused is found to be guilty as charged.

This process can take up to a maximum of 72 months, there after the case would be null and void as it would be statute barred.

11. Even in the event of court action and an injunction being taken out against the accused, the accused has the right to appeal to a higher court BEFORE enforcement can take place.

So please people relax... your web activities are well and truly assured.
In my opinion it is the responsibly of the copyright owners to produce material that people actually are willing to part their hard earned money for, instead of the endless manufactured crap we hear and see over our media devices...

I might also add that the only reason this whole situation has arisen is down to outdated business models that just simply do not stand up in today’s consumer environment.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention.... Why cannot the people at the top of the media organisations realise they need to release true content on demand for a subscription...

Watch and listen and play and work as much as you like for £40 a month say....

There are a few who are trialling services like this... but why so late to market??

Hope that helps you rest easy..

Power to the People!!

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I could care less about this law, my preps are for the impeding doom that is the Canadian DMCA that will most assuredly pass(if it's not withdrawn again to await and even more opportune time
) after the summer break. /sigh. They keep trying year after year and they will eventually get what they want so I'm resigned to locking down everything I do under the tightest encryption possible whether or not the very act of doing so is still legal(which it may no longer be under the new law to be voted on soon)

[edit on 25-6-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

They'll still go for the low hanging fruit before they go after the proxy server guys.

Yes. I'm not worried yet. They'll catch a few eMule users and see what happens. Probably charges will be dropped each time people appeal and invoke the many loopholes Neon Haze mentioned. Or if the French government is really serious about it, the system could quickly become "guilty until proved innocent" like the automated speeding radar fines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join