It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: Offshore drilling provides beneficial 'psychological impact.'»

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

That's actually not the correct context. There are two distinct points he's making. He was speaking of the psychological impact of increased offshore drilling. Your highlighted portion refers to the gas tax holiday.

In any event, it appears that he may not have explained how increased offshore drilling would create a short term psychological benefit in addition to the long-term supply benefit, so he opened himself up to the criticism he's now receiving.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I liked this quote from the transcript!

McCain link wars to oil - Extended video & transcript

I also want to make sure that we will take concrete steps towards eliminating our dependence on foreign oil.

And I am confident that uh, the, the conflicts that we are in in both Iraq and Afghanistan have also a bearing on that.

Now, how did any of those two "wars" make any discernible difference in how dependent we are on foreign oil?

We're as dependent on foreign oil now as we were 8 years ago!

The only ones that I see that the "wars" helped were the Big U.S. OIL companies who are now getting to drill over there, then THEY send us the FOREIGN oil.

[edit on 6/25/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Good point. To be sure what Benevolent provided is only a portion of the context.

Still I think the critique stands until it can be proven to be inaccurate.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Don't worry we will be so full of happy thoughts that we will be screaming to invade Iran and to take out Africa so we can get the sweat oil.

Meanwhile the blood of Americans will be spilled while on happy thoughts for the benefit of the corrupted war machine and all the oil barons and haliburton.

But we all will be Psychologically impacted into believing that is all for good and the safety of America.

Beside who needs clean waters, the everglades or a future for our next generations to come.

They are to be slaves of the system.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Great point man, I wonder what he means by this? Possibly that as we take control of MORE or the Middle East we will OWN more of the oil ourselves thus reducing our dependence on OTHERS oil?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I wonder sometimes, what is the whole purpose of the US manipulation system.

Our dependency has made the middle east friendly countries filthy rich.

Then if it was all about control how come we are not the ones controlling this countries.

I think that something went sour along the way while US was trying to spread imperialism.

I wonder, it should be our nation the one reaping the benefits after Iraq invasion, but the money that somebody is reaping in America is actually killing our economy and making a crisis in this nation for the regular population.

Is no doubt that somebody is making a killing with Iraq, but is not me and is not you.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Animal

I wonder sometimes, what is the whole purpose of the US manipulation system.

Our dependency has made the middle east friendly countries filthy rich.

Then if it was all about control how come we are not the ones controlling this countries.

I think that something went sour along the way while US was trying to spread imperialism.

I read a book called "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin about the history of oil. I think it was in the 60s or 70s, though I am not sure, when Israel was facing off with I believe Egypt and a few other Middle Eastern countries. The US wanted to bring in supplies to aid Israel but there was already tension between us and the Middle East so we were going to 'fly our planes in at night' to hide our involvement. Sadly due to some planning problems we landed during the day and the Middle East got really really pissed. This lead to the Oil Embargoes of the 70s, possibly the late 60s, I am terrible with dates.

That would be one of may examples of how our 'relationship' with the Middle East came about. It is one of hundreds of examples of the USAs 'interventions' in the region.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I am old enough to remember the oil embargo.

Something is not right when it comes to the relationships of the US with many middle eastern nations, one is that in order to keep Saudi Arabia and others as friend and to keep them from been in the butt of Israel, US has given to many concessions to this countries and now this people are empowered throughout business and big money and our nation is now kissing their butts in other to keep peace and Israel safe.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
Also, rather thank focusing on Thnkprogress being "bull#" how about you show us, in this instance, how they are reporting "bull#" rather than facts. Yes they are biased, but I would say 99% of all media is biased, all it takes is a critical mind capable of critical analysis to be able to process the information.

I just mean that they take things out of context and misrepresent them in ways that Fox News could only dream of. There's putting a slant on something, yes, but there's a difference between that and blatantly misreporting things to further political goals. It's essentially lying.
As for my reasoning, read it every so often. You'll see.

Originally posted by Animal
Hey Johnmike, how about you show me something that actually backs up what you are saying mate. I admit I only had to take macro and micro economics in college, but still I remember nothing about "psychology" how about you back that up with some facts.

I just meant that people's perception of the market, rather than true market conditions, can influence prices. Especially for investors. If you know that oil supply is going to increase, investors are going to feel differently about the market than if they think it will decrease. Market speculation.

Could I describe exactly how it would work? No, I don't know that much, but I know that it would have an effect. I'll look around.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Johnmike]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I can't disagree with that. My initial reaction was that the original clip had cut McCain off before he could complete his explanation. It seems to do so, but after seeing another clip of the same event that lasted just a little longer, I'm not as certain. So yes, until he explains it, its difficult to say with certainty exactly how he meant it.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Haha, thanks BH! I thought he said something like that. Now the overall impression I get from that type of analysis of the "little people" that these Bilderberger-chosen puppets have is that they think the entire country is absolutely beyond stupid, and if they just treat us like a bunch of little clueless children and spew out "feel happy" rhetoric, and tell us that "we're merely confused, there's nothing to worry about", that we'll continue to be good little obedient sheeples and continue not questioning and worrying about our situations, and just continue spending money we don't have, "because the lack of funds, and means to make ends meet is just psychological".

Maybe I'm wrong in my impression, but that's sort of the way I'm starting to feel some of these folks view the populace.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

And if we've let them get to the point where they can, aren't we?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You know people - I think McCain is correct on this one. Though it's not enough for me to vote for him.

I think the Media plays a big part of that psychology, and folks who want to run the prices up go on the media and explain how it's going to go up because of blah blah blah reason and the next day everyone buys oil because they think they're going to make more money - and they do.

When people perceive shortages or that the price will go up tomorrow, they run out and buy the item which further drives the price up & thus you have a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think the media inadvertently runs the prices up by talking about the prices going up everyday. Everyday they say another record high was set today - well no crap - duh - thanks for rubbing it in. I think it's much like how the media has multiplied the copy cat school shooters.

There is no oil shortage (I lived through the gas lines and closed gas stations in the 70's) , just the realization that indeed oil is limited and we are sharing it with more of the world, but we ain't in dire straits yet. In fact I predict I will be driving an alternative fueled car most the time in less than 10 years.

Yes as long as we begin to make an effort to provide more of our own oil, and an effort to drive less and begin crossover to alternative fueled cars the market will adjust itself in fear of losing business - which indeed is psychological.

I predict that if the Media were to continually run stories everyday for a couple weeks about how people are saving money by driving less, how automakers are creating products that will get over 100 mpg or not use gas at all, and how we have huge oil reserves that are not even being used - the price of oil would begin to fall. I think gas could drop over a buck in the next year or two as long as demand doesn't continue to rise.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

No states blocked it. Remember Jeb Bush bucked his brother and opposed off shore drilling off of Florida... and Jeb is a Republican remember. That is just one example. It was states and communities that didn't want oil slicks on their beaches to drive away the tourist dollars.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Found this article:

More Offshore Drilling Does Little at the Pump: EIA

And according to the government's top energy forecaster, the federal Energy Information Administration (EIA), opening these new areas for oil drilling won't help the price of gas to go down, and if it actually can, it could take at least 5 to 10 years.

McCain and Bush said the additional oil supplies likely to be found in the closed areas would help reduce gasoline costs.

However, Guy Caruso, who heads the federal Energy Information Administration, said consumers would see little savings at the pump.

"It would be a relatively small effect, because it would take such a long time to bring those supplies on," Caruso said during a briefing at the Center for Strategic and International Studies on the EIA's new long-term international energy forecast. "It doesn't affect prices that much."

Most energy experts say it would take five to 10 years to find oil in the closed areas and bring the crude to market. Caruso said the additional supplies would amount to only a couple of hundred thousand barrels of oil a day.

So, again we have Bush, and now McCain, ignoring what other government agencies are telling them and saying the exact opposite of the the experts are telling them!

[edit on 6/26/2008 by Keyhole]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join