It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Voters Detect a Snub From Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Muslim Voters Detect a Snub From Obama

www.nytimes.com

When Mr. Obama began his presidential campaign, Muslim Americans from California to Virginia responded with enthusiasm, seeing him as a long-awaited champion of civil liberties, religious tolerance and diplomacy in foreign affairs. But more than a year later, many say, he has not returned their embrace.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Obama can't win for losing. The article states that 10% of voters believe he is secretly a Muslim, so he can't be seen to be partial to Muslim voters. But now he risks losing Muslim support. Is there anything he can do to resolve the "Muslim question" that follows him everywhere?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

(this is intended at the general audience)

Sure: Who cares? If he was Atheist- would that effect the Muslims any differently?

So who cares what religion it is?

I mean, honestly.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My goodness the muslims can get in a rage / feel snubbed / have their feelings offended over the most stupid and trivial things ever..

When are they going to grow up and join the rest of us adults ?

Obama hurt my feelings for not being touchy feely with islam and islamic nations...

well forgive me this, but until they display a sofetr more gentle attitude to non-muslims I cannot for the life of me see why obama should show any goodwill to these nations.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Is there anything he can do to resolve the "Muslim question" that follows him everywhere?

I think he needs to reach out to them. People who think he's a "secret Muslim" aren't going to vote for him anyway. He should speak in mosques just like he does in other religious houses. If he just tells the truth and keeps on a track with integrity, he will be fine. And if he has to pretend to be something he isn't by distancing himself from Muslim Americans, just to appease the ignorant people, then that's just one more thing I disagree with him on.

I felt terrible for those women and I was VERY angry until I found out that it's not campaign policy and he knew nothing about it until after the fact. I do think he should try to make up for it somehow. More than a phone call... That's just my opinion.

But you're right. He can't win for losing. Either way he goes, someone's going to hate him. That's what a person signs up for when they go for the top title in the country. And I ask myself... who would I rather have backing me? Regular American people who happen to be Muslim or a bunch of ignorant people who would shun me for the religion of the some of the people I hang out with?

For me there's no contest.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i could not agree more, dan, but i'd also like to extend that notion to members of any religion

You cant keep everybody happy. So please the one's who treat you well. Thats how i feel about it.

If someone is going to bash Obama for things outside the relam of his control - i say Obama tells them to
*snip* off

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
I cannot for the life of me see why obama should show any goodwill to these nations.

What nations? We're talking about Americans.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, keep in mind that it was NOT Obamas decision to tell those women to move.

We had a similar discussion in another thread about this

internal/external critisism.

Those idiots in Obama's campaign that did this need scrutinized, not Barack himself.

Its just like in McCains campaign office - that nincompoop that said "a terrorist attack would benefit McCain"

Nobody is holding that against McCain in the MSM
but they sure are holding this thing against Obama

more MSM diarettic filth for ya.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
I cannot for the life of me see why obama should show any goodwill to these nations.

What nations? We're talking about Americans.

diplomacy in foreign affairs.

The muslims are not going to give two hoots about a Christian nation are they now ?

Hmmm ? wonder who they want the USA to be 'diplomatic' to... ?? England ? France ??

Look, im against ANY religion in politics. Far right christians, Far right Muslims, any of them - they should be banned.

If they are going to make a 'poor us, poor us muslims' noise, i say grow up and get a life.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
i could not agree more, dan, but i'd also like to extend that notion to members of any religion

You cant keep everybody happy. So please the one's who treat you well. Thats how i feel about it.

If someone is going to bash Obama for things outside the relam of his control - i say Obama tells them to
*snip* off

One of the main points of the article was that Muslims have treated Obama very well. They have been enthusiastic about his campaign and invited him to speak in their mosques. It's true Obama had nothing to do with the Muslim women who were told not to sit behind him at the rally; it's been established that that was the fault of one of his staffers. But he does have some control over where and to whom he chooses to speak. It's unfortunate that Obama's religion has to be such a big deal to people, but there's no getting around the fact that it's a very big deal to many American voters. I agree with Benevolent Heretic that he should give equal time to his Muslim supporters and let the chips fall as they may.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Obama will throw any of his supporters "under the bus" if he thinks it will affect his image negatively. It's all about Obama, not about the people.

Vote for the guy with more experience and less blatent disrespect for America and rediculous pandaring.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Either he's really good at hiding his beliefs. OR he's a realpolitik.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I think he's politically very smart; you can't run for president and win unless you are. But I don't think he's been hiding his beliefs. He's stated his religion and been open about many of his religious views.

He has a gift for relating well to many different people with diverse views; I understand why many Muslims would like him. It's too bad that some people would make that something sinister.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Obama's going to get hen-pecked until November over small issues, but the big one that will deliver the knock out punch to his campaign will be the "Whitey tape". I've just got this feeling that it does exist and it's being held onto until September or October.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Okay, so:

First Obama isnt black enough.
Then he's too black.

Then he's talked about as not being a good christian (trinity church)
then he's talked about as a radical

then he's refered to as a 'muslim sympathizer" (yeah like thats not a racially prejudice term)

now he's not muslim enough

lol:

cmon people.
In this very forum alone i can use my character limit to post links to threads that attack obama on his:

Religion
Grandmother
Skin Color
Wife
Speech
"catering to the black audience"
his condemnation of worthless fathers
his condemnation of worthless 'black fathers'
his certificate of birth
his status as a US born citizen (really? get original)

They'll say he's an ignorant, flaming idiot, in one sentence, and then flip themselves to call him a "sly and cunning clever little devil, who's too smart for his own good" whichever argument suits them in the paragraph they're typing.

How can one man be all of these contradictions at the same time?

Notice, no where up there, did i mention anything about political reasons that they dont like obama.
Thats because, to my knowledge, there's only one.

Thank you, BlueTriangle

i told you i disagree with you - but atleast you talk about a real issue.

i've said everything you've read above a million times. Ill say it 3 million times if i have to, as long as it dispells the notion that obama is a sick evil, twisted, muslim hating muslim who loves to condemn us all to the tentacles of the new world order...

then i have victory in my eyes.

the same image keeps coming to my mind when i think about the 'war machine' that is the mccain/clinton campaign smear movement against obama (click the link above)

on that note: is this the best the republicans can do? Xerox all of hillary's notes on obama, and repeat them on a different color of paper?

all too funny, IMO

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

new topics

top topics

join