It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is your favorite survival tip?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

Originally posted by Tomorrow
Providing the air is not totally contaminated, my hint is to capture a bit of water through condensation. You need some plastic, like a single ply of an untreated for bugs garbage bag maybe. Also a can or some clean container to capture the drops.
Next you dig a hole a little bigger circumference than the can and about 5 inches deeper than the height of the can.
Now suspend the plastic over the hole with the can beneath. Poke a small hole in the plastic centered over the can. Secure the plastic with a few stones so it doesn't collapse into the can. Moisture will condense overnight and drop into the can. Yes its not enough to do much with but it's a fun experiment to try anyway.

You want the hole about 3 feet deep and wide. It'll collect more water. And don't poke a hole in the plastic, the condensation builds up on the underside of it and if you puncture it you'll get contaminates in the water.

To make the upside-down pyramid shape or V - place a pebble in the middle of your plastic right above your water collection pot/pan/container.

As well as using contaminated water you can use sea water as well. Sea survival is where the solar still originated from. In addition to using some form of water as your original source you can also use damp/wet vegetation like seaweed for example or fresh cut grass.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
When in wet wintery conditions and your options of tinder are slim and none you always can use a lock or two of your own hair. Unless of course you shaved it all off for some reason.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
My survival tip? ALWAYS carry the single most useful survival item with you at all times: a GOOD lock-back folding pocket knife. It is one of the very first things you will need in any survivalist situation, and sometimes you can't afford the time to make a sharp object capable of cutting branches for fire, gutting an animal for food, making weapons, sharpening sticks to catch fish and rodents, etc.

And, take good care of it! Don't use it as a makeshift prybar unless you absolutely have to. Try to keep the blade sharp... even a small chunk of shale or other smooth rock can be used to sharpen the blade.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Thanks Anuubis,
I guess I'm not completely ready yet for the big "Save" when we'll need survival tips. But now at least I'll be a bit safer. Also do you think that a larger surface will bring more water?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Best survival tip is get all the books or info on survival!! For example say the internet doesn't work at a bad time, then it doesn't matter, you have plenty of books to help you learn how to survive and what to do in time of need.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
you can easily start a fire by rubbing two ginger-haired people together

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Lot's of good tips here. Ill try to add one that has not been mentioned yet. This tip happends to be one of my favourite... It is paramount for survival in prolonged situations.

Strive to keep your feet dry and protected. Socks are important. Dry socks.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomorrow
Thanks Anuubis,
I guess I'm not completely ready yet for the big "Save" when we'll need survival tips. But now at least I'll be a bit safer. Also do you think that a larger surface will bring more water?

Yes, but don't try to go to big. It'll make it more of a pain in the ass. Don't go more than 5 by 5 or you'll have a hell of a time getting your water unless you carried a ladder

top topics

<< 1   >>

join