It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's “Present” Votes Rumor - Exposed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

Where are all the people who are using this as one of their reasons NOT to vote for Obama? Are they going to vote for him now? Or continue to believe (and spread) the rumor that there's something "WRONG" with voting present?

Good research.

Now why don't you do the same on the McCain rumor about him voting with Bush 90% of the time.

That's an arguement that you keep using so perhaps you should look into that so that you aren't going to be believing and spreading the rumors.

Just a thought.

Jemison

Because that argument is countered by the fact that Obama's record shows that he has voted 95% of time with Senate Democrats who have contributed to Congress' 9% approval rating, and Obama the one claiming that he will be the most bi-partisan when it comes to issues. His record says otherwise.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Couldn't agree with you more.

And by the way BH, since when did simply voting over 4,000 times become such a great accomplishment? You put anybody here in the senate, and they could choose from yes, no, or present just as well as Obama or any other Senator could.

Why don't you go into detail on some of the amazing legislation Obama has authored, written, or even helped author?

And I would love to see this kind of research on your claim of McCain voting with Bush 90% of the time.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
......It CAN be used to indicate an indecisive state of mind, but most times, it’s to signal others to be cautious about voting this bill in or to indicate some objection, not strong enough to vote “No”.

What it DOESN’T mean is I’m here, but I don’t have the guts to take a position one way or another. And this is the criticism that Obama’s taking for his record of 129 “Present” votes in 8 years. Sometimes he voted with caution… with reservations.

Edit: Title changed for clarity.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

In all actuality, those are your opinions, not facts. Voting "Present" does initially indicate indecisiveness. You did do a good job of backing up your argument, so I give you A LOT of credit for that. However, let me put such "Present" votes into a another context. So Obama voted without a truly decisive stance 129 times. Well, it may not seem like a lot according to the overall Yays, and Nays he cast (according to your information). Now however, imagine Barack Obama as the United States President. He now has life-critical decisions to make, and they must be made within a timeframe of 12-24 Hours. What happens? What happens if he decides to hang his decisions in the balance while attempting to not take a side? If according to your information, he simply did this due to certain sections of the bills he did not agree upon, what happens when he has to impose a unilateral operation but he does not agree with every last aspect of the op? How will he EVER take a decisive Executive stance when he already seems to be shaky in taking one with 58 Other Illinois State Senators?

Also, what is quite telling are the issues upon which he actually voted "Present" for:

-"Sen. Obama voted 'present' 129 times while in the State Senate." (New York Times, 12/20/07)

-"At least 36 times, Sen. Obama was either the only State Senator to vote present or was part of a group of six or fewer to vote that way. " (New York Times, 12/20/07)

-"Sen. Obama was the only State Senator to vote 'present' on a bill that sought to protect the privacy of sex-abuse victims, and the only state senator to not support the bill." (HB854, Passed 58-0-1, 05/11/99)

-"Sen. Obama was the only State Senator to vote 'present' on an adoption bill that imposed stricter requirements for parental fitness, and the only State Senator to not support the bill." (HB1298, Passed 57-0-1, 5/6/1999)

-"Sen. Obama voted 'present' on a bill that would increase penalties for the use of a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. The bill called for the mandatory adult persecution of a minor at least 15 years of age being tried for using a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school." (SB759, Passed 52-1-5,3/25/1999)

-"Sen. Obama voted 'present' on a bill to prohibit the presence of adult sex shops near schools, places of worship, and day care facilities; bill allows local governments to regulate the presence of adult sex shops." (SB609, Passed 33-15-5, 3/29/2001)

-"During Sen. Obama’s 2004 Senate campaign, the Illinois NOW PAC did not recommend the endorsement of Obama for U.S. Senate because he refused to stand up for a woman’s right to choose and repeatedly voted ‘present’ on important legislation.

As a State Senator, Barack Obama voted ‘present’ on seven abortion bills, including a ban on 'partial birth abortion,' two parental notification laws and three 'born alive' bills. In each case, the right vote was clear, but Sen. Obama chose political cover over standing and fighting for his convictions.

'When we needed someone to take a stand, Sen. Obama took a pass,' said Grabenhofer. 'He wasn’t there for us then and we don’t expect him to be now.'" (Illinois Now)

Bottom line, I agree that no one is perfect, but Obama has consistently gone back and forth with his stances, and rhetoric. Granted, all people are allowed to change their minds over time, but during the past Nine Months I have never seen someone so blatantly go about it such numerous times.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Bottom line, I agree that no one is perfect, but Obama has consistently gone back and forth with his stances, and rhetoric. Granted, all people are allowed to change their minds over time, but during the past Nine Months I have never seen someone so blatantly go about it such numerous times.

GREAT points, wonderful information, and the paragraph above I agree with 100%!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thanks BH for busting this MYTH once and for all!
Greatly appreciated !

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
spin it however you want a present vote is a cop out and shows you don't have the intestinal fortitude to take a stand.
only politicians would invent a "present" vote option.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme2
Thanks BH for busting this MYTH once and for all!

Hardly.

Did you read the article? It was (left wing) New York Times.

Even the left wing NYT started out with this information - (paraphrase) Obama was faced with a tough vote and he'd tick people off either way he voted - so he whimped out and didn't vote - thus he was able not to tick off the blacks.

edited to add - calling 'present' voting strategy - well that's pathetic.
It's just WIMPING OUT politically.

[edit on 9/6/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
Now why don't you do the same on the McCain rumor about him voting with Bush 90% of the time.

Ummm... Because that's true. Actually it's 95% of the time ( FactCheck ).

Originally posted by nyk537
Why don't you go into detail on some of the amazing legislation Obama has authored, written, or even helped author?

I did. Here

McCain wasn't in the State Senate. But I could go over his "missed" votes in the nearly 30 years he was a US senator. A cursory glance reveals...

Look: He's Number One in the ENTIRE SENATE! He's missed more votes than anyone else. He didn't bother to show up for nearly 70% of the Senate votes... If you want to look further, feel free. I have all the information I need.

A. This thread is about Obama
B. I don't care about McCain's votes. If someone does, I think they should start a thread.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join