It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the ignorance of the british people disgusts me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Theres just been a credible ufo sighting, as has been posted in two different threads, police helicopter pursued a ufo today in Cardiff, the details are irrelevant, but it was a solid firm undeniable piece of evidence at least that `unidentified flying objects` are present
so i go on the sun website and read the comments

www.thesun.co.uk...

People make a joke out of it, 80% of the comments play it down like a big joke.

Now i know youll tell me every country has its skeptics, thats fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but im sick and tired of the english/scottish/welsh general mentality where most people here laugh about it, dismiss EVERYTHING. and you cant even have a normal discussion with them about it.
The BBC refer to it as a `strange aircraft`.

This phenomenon is dead real and it pisses me off to see people make a joke about it without even doing their own research before judging!

however my case in point, anywhere else, new mexico, the us, romania, france, japan etc find anywhere wheres theres been sightings, yes you'll get lots of skeptics, however you'll regularly see news articles, and programs or reports about it, in other words its given the benefit of the doubt by the general public, either through genuine interest or merely curiosity.

Here in the uk theres nothing...
the British people as a whole are so stuck up with their `oh there cant possibly be anything out their theory` that most of them don't even listen to you, you cant even have a discussion with them about anything in the skies, they are so immature about it.

Anyone else come from an area of the world where they are really in the minority being a believer in ufos.

Sorry UK but uve finally pissed me off, i mean its one thing allowing stupid terrorists to run riot, its one thing raising taxes sky high, and its one thing allowing pedophiles serial killers and the like, to either get away scott free or to serve less than 4 years and then go free... however this sheer ignorance is really the final straw... im so sick of it.

Id like replies, however considering the maturity of some of the readers here no doubt ill get replies like `if you dont like the uk why dont u leave` or skeptics saying everyones entitled to their opinion....

both answers are irrelevant, all i want is people from the uk or who have been to the uk to tell me if they agree with me that the vast majority of british people are extremely behind the times on the ufo front when you compare it to other countries.

thanks

[edit on 21-6-2008 by elibubbles]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I live in the UK, have done all my life and while yes there are those who don't care for fringe sciences or unorthodox news and there are those who don't believe in them it is in there right to be up to date in what they what they want to be up to date in. Most people keep up to date in things relating to their hobbies, career and general interests.

I personally don't keep up to date in things like breaking news and discoveries regarding genetics, virology, Cars..etc but then I don't really have an interest in those things. My interests are in things like ancient mysteries, paranormal, supernatural and occasionally UFO stuff career wise I typically stay up to date with Environmental topics, Crime.

But as I said you can be a believer in some things and not in others, you yourself don't keep up to date in things like 9/11 (Given past posts) but then neither do I and many others. It is hard to find the time to keep up to date in many things that one either doesn't believe in, doesn't understand or doesn't see the relevance in. After all life would be even more stressful if people had to keep up to date in everything from the latest developments in Health through to things like Theoretical Physics as well as so called Fringe Sciences while trying to maintain a career, hobby and family.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is the Sun and their readers that we're taliking about here. So, expect...

... nothing!

They only buy the thing for 'Page 3' in any case

And having been born, raised, and lived in England for the first 29 years of my life I am well aware that the reticence to talk about the subject is far greater than it is in a many other countries. But, by the same token, the exact same thing can be said for the subjects of current affairs or politics. I was one of the very few people who bothered to follow both and/or be concerned about it.

But I also have friends in England who will discuss the matter seriously and intelligently, who are concerned about the state that the world is in, and who I miss all the more because of that. I also miss the country as a whole, very much, to the point of becoming depressed about it on occasion, wishing that I could afford to fly over and meet my familly a lot more

In the end, however, there is a huge following of the tabloids such as the Sun, the Star, and The Daily Mirror. And therein sex, scandal, and gossip reign supreme

[edit on 6/21/2008 by uv777bk]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This isnt the first time us Brits have made joke out of something like this, we had a mile wide UFO sighted here over Liverpool twice in the past 8 years, and tht was laughed t everywhere apart from here, ive seen my share of UFO's but thats because i go looking for them, i also know your frustration at the way most of us behave over this subject.

If you check over my posts you will see what i think about people not taking these things seriously, unfortunately we have to bite our tongues.

Thing is we know different than they do, i know they are real, i put a lot of their behavior and laughter down to nerves and being terrified that there may be a small possibility this might be true, some people just cant fathom the fact.

Im with you 100% but sadly it isnt just in the UK its worldwide, but then again so are UFO sightings, anywhere you go you will get the people with the laughter, but you will also find the hardened believers also.

Im tired of it too.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Quote "Here in the uk theres nothing...
the British people as a whole are so stuck up with their `oh there cant possibly be anything out their theory` that most of them don't even listen to you, you cant even have a discussion with them about anything in the skies, they are so immature about it."

Listen, why taint the whole British public with such a cr@p post and attack everyone in Britain? Idiot.

I think it was the Uk that just recently was one of the first western goverments to release there MOD files. - Go figure.

D

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
sorry for the previous poor edited post!

Got a little heated for a minute.

D

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by elibubbles

elibubbles, The Sun is owned by Rupert Murdoch. Enough Said!!

Oh, I have more to say....Rupert also owns the New York Post (rag paper) and, here in the States, the Fox 'News' channel....or, as we call it, "Faux News"....or 'Fox Noise".... It is basically a right-wing mouthpiece 'yellow journalism' in order to plaster Mr. Murdoch's obvious conservative rants under the guise of respectable 'journalism'....complete farce!!!

Oh....and Rupert Murdoch....an Aussie, by the way, now owns and controls the Wall Street Journal. He has recently fired (sacked) two editors, a deputy editor, and the Washington DC Bureau chief editor...more sure to come, if they don't toe the 'party' line and be sycophants to what HE wants!!!

They are sickos....and need to be contained, say are there any cells available at Abu Gharaib??? Gitmo is probably full......

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The whole of the world is behind in regards to the UFO phenomenon. The people who believe in UFO's are the minority. The people who believe in UFO's of every country get ridiculed. I've seen it in many times in many different countries. You tell me a country where the majority of people or government believe in Aliens?

They're not even proven to exist for gods sake. This is the reason why people are sceptical. This is the reason why people laugh at the UFO phenomenon, stupid people making all sorts of stupid claims. Get a grip man.

You're labelling all the British people because of the comments out of the Sun?
The paper is not taken seriously, people with no intelligence read that paper.

Oh and I've forgot, I've just realised you're the one providing the links to the Sun.
That in it's self tells it's own story.

[edit on 21uSaturday08/27/08 by paul76]

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Some really immature comments on the Sun website.
IMO a lot of people are really interested in the UFO/Alien subject, well they do where i live any way (Leeds).
Some people are just stuck in their own little world and only care about what they can see.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
First let me say if you personally hadn't crossed the line so many time I may have had a chance to post in here before now.

In the future may I suggest that attacking the mod in the thread who isn't done policing the thread doesn't help your case either.

Now I think we can all talk about this civilly without call people ignorant, attacking them or in any way flaming anybody.

I very tempted to just close this thread so decorum is key from here on out.

Let this be a lesson to all members in the future. When you want to discuss a topic civilly calling an entire nations people ignorant is not the way to start off.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Oh, I have more to say....Rupert also owns the New York Post (rag paper) and, here in the States, the Fox 'News' channel....or, as we call it, "Faux News"....or 'Fox Noise".... It is basically a right-wing mouthpiece 'yellow journalism' in order to plaster Mr. Murdoch's obvious conservative rants under the guise of respectable 'journalism'....complete farce!!!

Well, you need something to counter the obvious liberal left-wing mouthpieces like CNN and MSNBC, so I don't see your point.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I live in the UK !! I agree that the reporting of UFO's in the media here is somewhat low key. The Cardiff UFO did not even make BBC News as far as i am aware. However i think it is wrong to dismiss people living in the UK as being ignorant of the subject. Sure, there will be stupid remarks as per the Sun newspaper that was quoted but considering the readership of that rag that is not surprising. However i think you will find alot of people in the UK are far more willing to discuss the issue today than they were 20 years ago. And with confirmation tonight on the news that ice water HAS been discovered on Mars, i think people will open up even more !!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Your basing your whole post on a few comments by people most probably bored and under the age of 20 from The Sun newspaper.....That doesn't really justify calling the whole of the UK ignorant. (Even though your obviously English yourself)

Start reading a different Newspaper mate.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

WhatTheory, CNN and MSNBC are not 'liberal mouthpieces'!!!!

In fact, Rupert and Company wish to 'spin' everything, even if it includes outright lying (just see Page 6 of the NYPost on Friday, re: Tim Russert).

Of course, 'Bill'O'.....'Bill Orally'....Bill the liar, has been caught so many times, it ain't funny. (actually, it still is....that was a phrase)

But, Bill isn't a jounalist....he's a talking head. So is SHannITy....none of these Murdoch puppets amount to anything, after all......

Limbaugh is just itching at a chance to get on THAT gravy chain, one would imagine....

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

I would think people in the UK would be very open to the idea especially considering the awesome show Doctor Who originates from there.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
WhatTheory, CNN and MSNBC are not 'liberal mouthpieces'!!!!

What?
Of course they are! You don't really think they are fair do you?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by elibubbles

Eli don't get flustered by this British mentality towards UFOs. Just laugh at it. Laugh at how blind as a mole and educated like a trained and docile dog the UK people are. Giggle at their ignorance and their sense of righteous opinion they've been force fed through the media all of their lives. Laugh at these zombies who do what they do and are expected to do day in day out. Find it hilarious how they ignore the massive evidence out there for real ufo activity in our skies and continue to live in their state mandated belief system. It's quite hilarious so laugh for they are the muppets out there......................................

top topics

<<   2 >>

join