It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SSI Crazy Checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I hope I am "safe" with this thread. In other words I hope it doesn't get tagged as racial because I do not know the vital statistics on the races using it.

A few years ago my sister alerted me to a scam that has been going on since Welfare Reform was enacted. Quite literally, the street jargon of this scam is called "Crazy Checks." After parents were given a certain period of time in which they had to go to w-w-w-w-w-work or lose their welfare checks, the Crazy Check scam was born. Parents teach their kids how to act crazy and get them on SSI. My sister teaches in a 90 percent black school, and 60 percent of the kids receive these checks. Sorry but I don't know a teacher who teaches in a 90 percent white shcool so I cannot give you figures to compare by race. The only plus side to this is that if the kids don't attend school, NO check for momma. So it has brought attendance way up. There are so many kids on it that they employ two full-time social workers from the State Welfare Office who office at the school itself. My sister said that there are families with two and three kids getting a Crazy Check. The momma wouldn't even have to work with that kind of income (it's about $400 a month per child). I want to know how in the world our govt. could let a scam like this continue. I had a nephew who was emotionally disturbed, truly, he went to psychiatrists since he was 4 years old. His mom passed away when he was 18. I tried to get him on SSI twice and was turned down. He finally took his life last July. My sister could have had him declared incompetent when he was a teenager and it would have continued into adulthood, but she did not want him labeled this way, he was average intelligence, but emotionally he could not get it together; couldn't ever figure out how to interact in a social setting. So, I had tons of medical records on him and STILL got turned down, yet these women can get two and three kids on the same program. I don't know how we are ever going to get things straight in this country until people start realizing they are responsible for the offspring they produce. However, I am all for Social Security for people who are truly disabled.

I didn't know if this is a widely known scam so thought I would clue people in. I had not heard of it until a few years ago but it has been going on for about 14 years or so. Here are a couple links, I know when I googled it a year or so ago I found more, and they are out there just need to know the key words.

www.fair.org...

www.knoxnews.com...

www.utexas.edu...

There's much more info out there about it, this is just a sampling.

Of course there are plenty of adults scamming the system in fact much more than children I am sure. I just wish there was an answer to getting these scammers off the roles. They should have a hotline to call about scammers but they would probably be so flooded that they would not know where to begin, and then the "system" would just be back in court AGAIN to decide the case all over. Maybe I am making mountains out of molehills, but I had a personal experience where someone truly was disabled and denied, then died because he couldn't afford the counseling and meds he needed, and couldn't hold a job more than one day. The entire system needs a complete overhaul, and I don't think we have a candidate willing to take that on at all.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If Obama gets elected, its going to get 100 times worse than that.

Were in trouble....

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe

Were in trouble....

This may be the first election I haven't voted in since I turned 18, but either way I would be going completely against my principles. I do think that Obama even being the candidate was rigged. I don't know but one person who is for Obama, but I see the crowds at his rallies. It makes my head hurt to think about it.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I am a black student and I used my welfare checks to finance my college education .Since me and my mother were lying about my condition we just put the money in a savings account. It wasnt easy paying for tuition at Duke University but those welfare checks sure helped!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
That scam is very widespread and what you describe is only the tip of the iceberg. Almost every child who comes into custody in the State of New Mexico will have an SSI claim filed and the check will go to the state while they are in custody. It helps to pay the bills.

As a disabled vet who has battled tooth and nail for my benefits, this kind of institutionalized fraud is sickening.

One reason I left my position with the State was because of the hoopla created when I refused to falsify data and pull strings to get a child who was perfectly normal on one of these federal gravy trains.

The most important job of any Child Protective Custody Social Worker is get as much money from the federal government for the kids in custody to put into the public coffers and to keep that money coming.

[edit on 2008/6/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This is just a sick and sad thread. Just pathetic. Why are you people THAT mad about it?? Who cares really? Grow the # up you racist! And NO I am not a regular posting anonymously I just haven't signed up yet.

I go to college in a small mostly white town and you should SEE THE LINE AT WALMART ON THE FIRST. White people get those checks just as much as anyone. You people are sick, on here talking about disabled kids. Actually whites probably get the checks more seeing as how there are WAY MORE whites in this country than ANYONE ELSE!

If your nephew was TRULY disabled he would have gotten approved, simple as that!

You are a VERY bitter person!

Plus, who can survive off of $400 a month????? Even if she is getting 3 checks....that's only $1200, still not enough when you think about RENT, UTILITIES, EVERYDAY EXPENSES......I don't know where you live but that is NOTHING, I have more than that on my debit card!

Maybe if they bothered putting real teachers in these schools, real therapists, real books, computers and SO ON they won't HAVE SO MANY DISABLED KIDS! The USA does not give a # about the black youth of today.

Also, tell your sister that she is very wrong, immortal and unethical for telling the the business of these kids and their moms to anyone who will listen!

OBAMA 2008!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

Originally posted by PokeyJoe

Were in trouble....

This may be the first election I haven't voted in since I turned 18, but either way I would be going completely against my principles. I do think that Obama even being the candidate was rigged. I don't know but one person who is for Obama, but I see the crowds at his rallies. It makes my head hurt to think about it.

I'm not voting.....I cannot bring myself to vote for either of these idiots. There is no chance in hell I would vote for Obama, but I cant bring myself to vote for McCain.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

...I want to know how in the world our govt. could let a scam like this continue. I had a nephew who was emotionally disturbed, truly, he went to psychiatrists since he was 4 years old. ... but emotionally he could not get it together; couldn't ever figure out how to interact in a social setting.

Oh, so he was a computer geek? Welcome to the club. We have jackets.
(Yes, I know this is a serious issue, but that IS how people used to view us geeks back in the day)

So, I had tons of medical records on him and STILL got turned down, yet these women can get two and three kids on the same program. I don't know how we are ever going to get things straight in this country until people start realizing they are responsible for the offspring they produce. However, I am all for Social Security for people who are truly disabled.

Haven't you figured it out yet? The people who actually and truly need the help rarely ever get it. THIS IS BY DESIGN. Do you want to prove it to yourself? Go into a court room, any one will do. Watch what first time offenders get, and compare it to repeat offenders and career criminals. ESPECIALLY watch for the guy who anyone can tell knows he screwed up, and isn't going to do it again. Watch what happens to him, and compare it to a guy who doesn't care that he got caught, and WILL do it again. (Admittedly subjective, but still...)

Then, see if you come to the same conclusion. I think you will be surprised.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
There's many scams out there. If you knew how many are corporate and political scams, you may not feel so biased against those who do what they can to survive. Don't forget the white collar crimes.

Our complete system needs to be changed. Maybe that's what the NWO is all about. So many have their hustle. About 20 years ago my girlfriend did the welfare migration to Wisconsin after she heard it from her aunt. Illegals migrate to the US etc. Once you get the whole picture, it's just typical. But, I wouldn't label any particular race to it though. It's like they say: It's all about supply and demand. Lame excuse, but, it works for them. The cure for greed must be more money.

Afterall, this IS the land of oportunity.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I understand why you phrased it so delicately. I don't believe that you are a racist, or that this thread is promoting any racism. This particular scam was present way back when I lived in the States, more than 10 years ago. It falls along nearly all lines of ethnicity. My Bride was involved in social services and family counseling/outreach years ago. Now, this is a recollection of hers based upon a study of just TWO counties in California, so it isn't something I or she can pull up a credible chart on...... but her recollection of that study was that it pertained to almost every ethnic group except for those that were identified as "Asian". Now, she also doesn't remember the "check" term you referenced, but it sounded like the same scam.

I think people find and exploit chinks in the system. I think if they are desperate enough, or socially conditioned by their peers, they can and will slip into these modes. I don't know the answer for it. I wish we could take care of folks that were in hard times, a real hands-on effort, to get them back on their feet, but not allow them to wallow in the system.

Thanks for the info. Good thread.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This happens all the time. I have worked for a behavioral health care facility and we saw it all the time. Oh the other side of the coin, I worked in a facility for children who were both mentally challenged and physically challenged and many of them couldn't get a SSI check. Those parent really needed help getting them the equipment and care they needed but couldn't afford to do so. The system is so messed up that the people who really need the assistance don't get any assistance at all.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowmantn
This happens all the time. I have worked for a behavioral health care facility and we saw it all the time. Oh the other side of the coin, I worked in a facility for children who were both mentally challenged and physically challenged and many of them couldn't get a SSI check. Those parent really needed help getting them the equipment and care they needed but couldn't afford to do so. The system is so messed up that the people who really need the assistance don't get any assistance at all.

This is absolutely absurd. This issue needs to have widespread media attention. These women who have 2 and 3 kids getting a "crazy check" need to be brought under the microscope. I mean, what are the odds over HALF the kids in any particular public school are mentally or emotionally disturbed? It just makes my blood boil, especially after losing a family member to mental illness who was turned down twice. If a politician promised to fix the SS scams he would have my vote automatically. I also have 2 neighbors who draw 100% disability from SS. One of them, believe it or not, got on the dole years ago when that "yuppie flu" aka chronic fatigue syndrome was going around. Well most people I know who WORK, experience fatigue; she is out walking her two dogs several times a day, the picture of health. The other lady had one knee operation and claimed she was unable to work; she was turned down once then got an attorney and got on full disability. She owns a greyhound and walks him several times a day, or, I should say the dog walks HER. She gets around better than most. I have had 3 back surgeries but I still work fulltime, I have pain but I've learned to deal with it. (do you hear violins playing?) Well that's my rant for the day.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This is absolutely awful. Am I pissed about it? Yes. Am I surprised? Of course not. Very interesting thread. Thanks for bringing this to our attention...I had never heard of this before.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowmantn
I also have 2 neighbors who draw 100% disability from SS. One of them, believe it or not, got on the dole years ago when that "yuppie flu" aka chronic fatigue syndrome was going around. Well most people I know who WORK, experience fatigue; she is out walking her two dogs several times a day, the picture of health. The other lady had one knee operation and claimed she was unable to work; she was turned down once then got an attorney and got on full disability. She owns a greyhound and walks him several times a day, or, I should say the dog walks HER. She gets around better than most. I have had 3 back surgeries but I still work fulltime, I have pain but I've learned to deal with it. (do you hear violins playing?) Well that's my rant for the day.

These two ladies sound like my cousin in Alabama. She concocted herself a mental illness to get on disability years ago. She hangs out, travels the highways to meet friends and family, goes drinking in bars, goes on dates, etc. How is it that she has never been caught is beyond me.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I know of a women that is currently receiving these types of checks due to obesity, she was getting a lower one at first, she received gastric bypass surgery, and gained all the weight so they had to give her MORE money. She also has 4 kids, 3 that are receiving checks, due to various issues, no older than 10.

They each receive over $600.00 per month, thats not including food stamps, due to her family size they get about $800.00 a month in food stamps. I lived next store to her, and Ive seen her kids, they have temper tantrums but just like everyone esle's kids. I don't know how they got those kids on medications, and receiving money.

That's not even including housing and bill assistance. She gained the weight after thousands of dollars that medicaid paid to get her to lose weight, and then when she failed, they gave her more. Why would she get better? This seems to be a very easy thing for her, all she has to do is eat and sleep, and make sure her kids are drugged up.

When the system is flawed in this way, sometimes its hard for people to understand that the system was made to be taken advantage of, if it wasn't then they wouldn't make it so easy. She is not the first person Ive met in this type of situation.

BTW, I wanted to add that some parents that have 2 children receiving benefits, is usually due to multiple births, and the complications that sometimes come from that, anything over that, well I dont know.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I hope I am "safe" with this thread. In other words I hope it doesn't get tagged as racial because I do not know the vital statistics on the races using it.

A few years ago my sister alerted me to a scam that has been going on since Welfare Reform was enacted. Quite literally, the street jargon of this scam is called "Crazy Checks." After parents were given a certain period of time in which they had to go to w-w-w-w-w-work or lose their welfare checks, the Crazy Check scam was born. Parents teach their kids how to act crazy and get them on SSI. My sister teaches in a 90 percent black school, and 60 percent of the kids receive these checks. Sorry but I don't know a teacher who teaches in a 90 percent white shcool so I cannot give you figures to compare by race. The only plus side to this is that if the kids don't attend school, NO check for momma. So it has brought attendance way up. There are so many kids on it that they employ two full-time social workers from the State Welfare Office who office at the school itself. My sister said that there are families with two and three kids getting a Crazy Check. The momma wouldn't even have to work with that kind of income (it's about $400 a month per child). I want to know how in the world our govt. could let a scam like this continue. I had a nephew who was emotionally disturbed, truly, he went to psychiatrists since he was 4 years old. His mom passed away when he was 18. I tried to get him on SSI twice and was turned down. He finally took his life last July. My sister could have had him declared incompetent when he was a teenager and it would have continued into adulthood, but she did not want him labeled this way, he was average intelligence, but emotionally he could not get it together; couldn't ever figure out how to interact in a social setting. So, I had tons of medical records on him and STILL got turned down, yet these women can get two and three kids on the same program. I don't know how we are ever going to get things straight in this country until people start realizing they are responsible for the offspring they produce. However, I am all for Social Security for people who are truly disabled.

I didn't know if this is a widely known scam so thought I would clue people in. I had not heard of it until a few years ago but it has been going on for about 14 years or so. Here are a couple links, I know when I googled it a year or so ago I found more, and they are out there just need to know the key words.

www.fair.org...

www.knoxnews.com...

www.utexas.edu...

There's much more info out there about it, this is just a sampling.

Of course there are plenty of adults scamming the system in fact much more than children I am sure. I just wish there was an answer to getting these scammers off the roles. They should have a hotline to call about scammers but they would probably be so flooded that they would not know where to begin, and then the "system" would just be back in court AGAIN to decide the case all over. Maybe I am making mountains out of molehills, but I had a personal experience where someone truly was disabled and denied, then died because he couldn't afford the counseling and meds he needed, and couldn't hold a job more than one day. The entire system needs a complete overhaul, and I don't think we have a candidate willing to take that on at all.

I am black and I can't get SSI(because I am sane and I can work.) What about me? I have to work or I am screwed.

People are gaming the system. Why? Because there are no jobs. Its either defraud the federal government,sell plasma or sell drugs or prostitution.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I've also wondered if there were not some people who intentionally over-eat to become obese to qualify for public aid (but then having so many children on SSI too,....shameful!!!). I do know their are some who would intentionally become infected with HIV (called 'bug-chasesr') to receive public benefits, free medical, etc. I would think that alone (the desperation, and thought process one would have to have) would qualify them for a 'crazy check,' but maybe not if they went that far.

new topics

top topics

join