It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars lander finds bits of ice, scientists say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

www.cnn.com...

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Scientists believe NASA's Phoenix Mars lander exposed bits of ice while recently digging a trench in the soil of the Martian arctic, the mission's principal investigator said Thursday.

Trenches excavated by the lander's robotic arm have turned up white material mixed in with the reddish dirt.

Crumbs of bright material initially photographed in the trench later vanished, meaning they must have been frozen water that vaporized after being exposed, Peter Smith of the University of Arizona, Tucson, said in a statement.

"These little clumps completely disappearing over the course of a few days, that is perfect evidence that it's ice," Smith said.

"There had been some question whether the bright material was salt. Salt can't do that."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Wow... there is a picture of it too in color!

This is the evidence we were all waiting for!

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is amazing news

At first, it looked like flint to me. I think this is extremely significant for NASA to find a material which could be ice.

Just amazing.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Richard C. Hoagland had stated on C2C radio that the landing site looked life permafrost. So this goes with that scenario. I believe we are slowly being fed information, that somewhere high up people decided to at least ease up on the information blockade. It was getting silly anyway, and if they wanted to preserve their precious corporations something had to give.

Beware of spin though, this is an elitist world, and the only way a human can maintaing a social position higher than other fellow humans is by deception. So keep up the pressure people, it's better to get ALL the truth, even if it kills NASA, than to settle for half truth and psuedo scientific innuendo. These people cost taxpayers billions, never bad to remind that.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Remember NASA's golden rule:

If they cannot explain it, they will not go public.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
it could be just me

but why isnt this the headline for every major news paper in the world?

Drudgereport even has it secondary.

Has the world really become so uninspired and dull?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

add this story and you got a pretty good recipe that says we're all about to be in for a big suprise

i agree

nasa...the US govt, they know more than they're telling us.
Recent events like the popes astromoers declaring ETs probably exist
ice on mars
more police spotting aircraft

first contact could be right around the corner...

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
But we knew that already. We knew that there was ice at the martian poles. Wake me when they find the microbes.

new topics

top topics

join