It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims barred from picture at Obama event

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Muslims barred from picture at Obama event

www.politico.com

Two Muslim women at Barack Obama's rally in Detroit Monday were barred from sitting behind the podium by campaign volunteers seeking to prevent the women's headscarves from appearing in photographs or on television with the candidate.

The campaign has apologized to the women, both Obama supporters who said they felt betrayed by their treatment at the rally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The truth about Obama the candidate and Obama the person keeps coming out. It used to be an issue about blacks having to ride in the back of the bus, now it seems that Obama is throwing his very own supporters under the bus - if their appearance in photos, etc. might possibly cost him some votes.

This is the "great uniter"? I see a great deal of BS instead ...

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/18/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
And what if they had been i the picture? I can see the post now.

Obama rallies Muslim supporters to forward Muslim Agenda because Obama is a Muslim (and probably a terrorist).

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

What I see is people like you chomping at the bit to decry anything Obama. Why would he give you fodder? I can see it now, the picture shows up with these two ladies int he background and all of a sudden it is PROOF POSITIVE, that he is a Muslim, having a Muslim rally talking about how he is going to be bringing Sharia law to the US. Unfortunately that is what he has to do. But is doesn't matter, you guys will jump down his throat and make a mountain out of any molehill.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I am NOT a supporter of Obama by any stretch of the imagination but I do think that it's important to point out that it was campaign volunteers that made the decision, not Obama himself.

I disagree or don't believe 99% of what comes out of Obama's mouth so I could NEVER support him but the biggest turn-off for me is the attitude of many of his followers. In their attempt to defend and protect Obama they seem to go overboard and create more questions and controversy, just as they did in this situation.

Jemison

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
And what if they had been i the picture? I can see the post now.

Obama rallies Muslim supporters to forward Muslim Agenda because Obama is a Muslim (and probably a terrorist).

If they had been allowed to be in the picture, and Obama had been attacked over it as you suggest, it would have allowed him to show that he is bigger than those that would attack him. That he is in fact the "great uniter". Instead, it makes him appear to be a coward that won't go to bat for his own supporters. He looks just like all the current politicians he claims to be different from. Starting to understand?

[edit on 6/18/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545

What I see is people like you chomping at the bit to decry anything Obama.

So, you would have all of us with legitimate concerns about Obama and where his policies would take this country be silenced and just leave the (ATS) field to a bunch of "Barackophiles" - people so blindly in love with Obama that they cannot and will not allow themselves to see that he is not perfect? That he actually has a lot of faults?

Fuggetaboutit ....

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You know what, this still leaves Obama a villain in my eyes, because he's NOT HONEST. He didn't talk to those women privately to discuss with them what would happen if the manipulative media could exploit such an innocent photograph. Worse, he's not using this to call out the press for their single-minded demonizing of his alleged connections. This would have been an amazing opportunity for the "candidate of change" to take to the airwaves with a statement that these SUPPORTERS who are AMERICANS will be at his side no matter what news companies want to SPECULATE based on an image.

Instead he has his cronies shuffle them out like they're protesters at a Cheney speech. And without ANY word as to why, enough to leave these women feeling "betrayed?" Sounds like he's more concerned with winning the election than making Americans feel like they're a part of the democratic process.

Just one more reason why I can't support him. The same shady politics every other presidential candidate has been notorious for. And for the record, I'd elect the hell out of a muslim presidential candidate. But not one with a background and connections like Barack!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
If they had been allowed to be in the picture, and Obama had been attacked over it as you suggest, it would have allowed him to show that he is bigger than those that would attack him.

That is a load of bunk, and you know it. If there had been even the hint that someone in that picture had even heard of the religion of Islam, certain idiots would have jumped on it as proof that he is a closet Muslim, just waiting to convert every good white Christian.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by joecamel
You know what, this still leaves Obama a villain in my eyes, because he's NOT HONEST. He didn't talk to those women privately to discuss with them what would happen if the manipulative media could exploit such an innocent photograph.

Actually, they did. From the article linked in the OP:

The volunteer "explained to me that because of the political climate and what's going on in the world and what's going on with Muslim Americans, it's not good for [Aref] to be seen on TV or associated with Obama," said Koussan, who is a law student at Wayne State University.

Both Koussan and Miller said they specifically recalled the volunteer citing the "political climate" in telling them they couldn't sit behind Obama.

Which is pretty sad they even have to take it into consideration...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

If they had been allowed to be in the picture, and Obama had been attacked over it as you suggest, it would have allowed him to show that he is bigger than those that would attack him.

That is a load of bunk, and you know it. If there had been even the hint that someone in that picture had even heard of the religion of Islam, certain idiots would have jumped on it as proof that he is a closet Muslim, just waiting to convert every good white Christian.

The load of bunk belongs to the people who will not step back and see that Obama could have used those "idiots" to reinforce his campaign position. Are barackophiles really that afraid of the muslim issue?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I've got to admit you've come up with a nice try on the old "reverse switch" propaganda there Centurion.

Fact of the matter is that the ignorance and stupidity surrounding this "muslim" thing has reached such a fever pitch that the man's PR people have acted on it - something they should never have done because they are pandering to the lowest common denominator and responding to the smears that have been launched against their candidate.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The thing is, why even give it a chance to become an issue? You move the people, small outcry "He's a liar", you don't move them and all of a sudden people freak out because he is having an Islam rally. He picked his battle and decided that the lesser of the two evils was moving these women. I see no issue with it.

I notice that with all this little nitpicking of Obama's campaign it does not let the other side start any kind of momentum in small smear tactics against John "The Second Coming of Christ" McCain. Which is a good way to fight. I applaud you and your tactics

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh? What he likely did was trade some of the muslim vote for some of the anti-muslim vote. You can't please everybody all of the time and this proves it.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The load of bunk belongs to the people who will not step back and see that Obama could have used those "idiots" to reinforce his campaign position. Are barackophiles really that afraid of the muslim issue?

Again, as Neformore pointed out, you are employing reverse-switch propaganda. If he had used it to reinforced his campaign position, you would have accused him of being afraid of "the Muslim" non-issue. If they attack "the issue," you claim they are scared of it. If they ignore it, you claim they are scared of it. If they try to minimize it, you claim they are scared of it. No matter what position he takes, you will find fault with it, and you know it.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Again, as Neformore pointed out, you are employing reverse-switch propaganda. If he had used it to reinforced his campaign position, you would have accused him of being afraid of "the Muslim" non-issue. If they attack "the issue," you claim they are scared of it. If they ignore it, you claim they are scared of it. If they try to minimize it, you claim they are scared of it. No matter what position he takes, you will find fault with it, and you know it.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

Barackophiles, please re-read my posts to avoid putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say even half of what you've attributed to me. I merely suggested that handling this in the opposite way could have been turned into a positive for Obama's campaign, and likely we wouldn't be having this discussion. At least I know I wouldn't be posting on any threads attacking Obama simply because a couple people in his crowd were wearing head scarves.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Can't win for losing. I swear these Obama posts are getting obsurb!!! REally, if he had the muslims in the back drop you all would have attacked him. Because he doesn't you all are attacking him. Just shut the f up and vote for a man who openly admitted he doesn't know jack about the economy and wants a 100 year war. That's much better than Obama. WEEEEEEEEEE. It's a fun ride being an American. One day you're up, the next you're down! And down, and down, and down some more! Woohoo, I love this ride. Take away my freedoms under the guise of protecting us from terrorists, or elect a guy that may or may not be a muslim whose going to make us all muslims, or elect a guy who is going to continue the freedom closeout like the previous administration! Wow!!! WHAT A FREE EFFING COUNTRY I LIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I myself am going for the least of the evils. GO BARACK!!!! Barack the vote!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Questions for you. Did you spend the last 9 or so years attacking everything about the current administration? Did you also have a problem with all those that did, and then complain about them for doing it?

Careful, your answers could result in being labeled hypocritical.

Barackophiles cannot expect to be allowed to "wake up in a new world" where the past is forgotten and only the (their?) present counts for anything. If you attacked, you must now be prepared to defend.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Barackophiles, please re-read my posts to avoid putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say even half of what you've attributed to me. I merely suggested that handling this in the opposite way could have been turned into a positive for Obama's campaign, and likely we wouldn't be having this discussion...

We are not putting words in your mouth. It's that we know the mentality. Just as we know that it would not have been seen as a positive for the campaign but "PROOF!!!!!!!!!1111" that he is a Muslim here to corrupt good white Christians.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join