It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Non-Christians Seemingly Believe Revelations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Hi all. I could be wrong here, but I seem to have noticed that, while only a few of us here on ATS are of christian faith, most people here trust in the book of Revelations to one degree or another. People are always speculating on whether current events are matching what the book says, or always theorizing what it means. It's a popular focal point of discussion and seems that people take it seriously. My question is, if you aren't christian, what is it about Revelations that makes it more credible or believable than the rest of the New Testament? Why contemplate it so much, or consider it so much? Thanks for any replies and feedback.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You don't need to BELIEVE something in order to debate/discuss it... Theology is somewhat of a hobby of mine, even though I am not a Christian, nor do I follow any other organized religion...

It's interesting stuff, and it's fun to interpret the authors' intentions....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I dont think most REALLY believe in it they just get the same kinda rush off of it they get from watching a horror movie.

I thinks its the same with most of the end of the world waiters

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The scary people are the ones that take Revelation's literally.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Okay, thanks. I thought that that was probably the reason. I don't know, it seems strange to me, but I definitely don't mind or anything. It doesn't bother me.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well, if I see human headed locusts, a bitch on a seven-headed dragon, then I'm so out of here...

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Haha. Well let me ask you this. If many signs of Revelations were to start happening in our lifetime, and it was clear that events were matching what the book has said, would that cause you to trust christianity or convert at all?

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No, because I can point to ANY other cluster of wars in our history, and draw the same exact parallels.... Now, if we knew of a big asteroid named Wyrmwood on the way, well, that might be another matter, hehe....

But, if Christianity is right, then over 2/3 of the world's population (which aren't Christians) are going to hell!

Chew on that one for a bit.....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
No, because I can point to ANY other cluster of wars in our history, and draw the same exact parallels.... Now, if we knew of a big asteroid named Wyrmwood on the way, well, that might be another matter, hehe....

But, if Christianity is right, then over 2/3 of the world's population (which aren't Christians) are going to hell!

I've definitely chewed on that a lot, and believe me it's a tragedy. Without wanting to go into a whole lecture though, suffice it to think about this: is the credibility of something's truth based on how many people believe it? Is there a quota that says that once or if x percent of people reject something, it is no longer real. Just think about how most people have been wrong in the past about certain things such as the shape of the earth etc. Also though, I would not rule out that once we all die and "meet our maker" as it is said, that we may see that Jesus is real and still make our choice then. I don't know. It's definitely possible. Anyway, I won't say more about it here, but I could justify that bit that you chew on with a clear explanation elsewhere, like in a U2U if you want.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Why do non-jews tend to accuse people of anti-semitism more than jews that speak out in opposition to Israel?

Not meaning to be a smart a$$

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I think there are alot of Christians that believe, if your good, not matter what religion or no religion your ok =)

If GOD was that petty to pick and choose even though you were a Love thy Neighbor type person, well then I want nothing to do with it, and he really wouldn't be all powerful because that's would be a sign of Vanity. "No No your good and all but you didn't follow me and praise me, so to hell ya go." It cant be like that. It just cant

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I debate a lot of different view with people, but that doesn't mean that I believe them. It's just that I like to be annoying.
Concerning religion, I do believe that there is a god thing, but I don't believe that it exists (chew on that one for a while) so that gives me extensive room to debate with individuals.

PS ShiftTrio--Love the avatar!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Is there a quota that says that once or if x percent of people reject something, it is no longer real. Just think about how most people have been wrong in the past about certain things such as the shape of the earth etc.

Ahh, but in some ways, reality IS perception... For those people, the threat of sailing off the end of the world, was VERY real... Likewise, punishment or salvation for Christians, is perceived to be VERY real to them....

The biggest problem with organized religions....

Someone has to be right, making all others wrong...

I just don't buy that. If there IS a creator, and he/she was worthy of worship, they wouldn't pick and choose... The cop-out of some Christians that God would save them all, isn't in line with it's own teachings, and then you're kind of picking your beliefs ala carte, and directly disagreeing with your own holy book....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51
The scary people are the ones that take Revelation's literally.

Sorry, I'm going to have to take the thread off topic here.

IT'S THE BISHOP!!!

WTG, TETSUO!!

I LUB TEH BISHUP!!!!

/Hijack

Continue, please.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
revelations is happening right now. The seven headed dragon stuff is not to be taken literally. Revelations was put together so you would not be
able to figure it all out and knw exactly what was coming and when.

This is how I see God.

He existed, and eh had a truth which began with him from the beggining. He sent a man to tell this truth which was him in the flesh, and his message was so loving and good that only devils could refuse his teachings. I mean he taught to love your enemies and your neighbors, he taught to turn the other cheek. These teachings are that of peace and of such grace and love that I could not deny them ever in my
entire life because I know he speaks the truth.

If all religions were correc,t then God is divided, and truth is divided, and the kingdom of heaven is divided which cannot be so. If I believe a tree is God does that make it truth? If I believe a false God of egypt were God does that make it true?

It don't matter what I want to believe, because i wantto know Gods truth not mans millions of truths, and I who never grew up cristian, never went to church, lived in massive sin for 20 years, and hearing his teachings and seeing miracles of him I know he is the truth and speaks the truth and I believe in him with all my heart. When a soul hears the truth they know what they are hearng, even if they reject it, their soul knows its the truth. the problem with the world is that people love rejecting Gods truth because of their own wants and desires to believe whatever they want to even if its not true.

this is how I see it.

peace.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Truth]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Believers and fundalmentalists always seem to ignore facts and concrete evidence blinded by thier faith.

Deep

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Believers and fundalmentalists always seem to ignore facts and concrete evidence blinded by thier faith.

Deep

Or....you could say skeptics always seem to ignore the truth and are blinded by their doubt and the deceit of this world.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm a non christian and I don't believe in Revelations. It can be interpreted just like the rest of the bible in different ways

but never the less I am interested Revelations, Same way I am interested in all religions and their end of the world prophecies.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I am a "Christian" but I know why the Prophecy is still valid: It displays the system of human creation, and it demonstrates the pros and cons of that. Now that it is being fulfilled, it is merely a signal for the one with insite that this world is going to pass soon, and a new will replace it. Revelation is perfectly logical and natural, it explains tinigs like I would explain things. Any spirited being would understand that.

Ma,
Blessings

top topics

join