It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to lose weight without gaining it back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I hear about yo-yoing and how people who go on diets gain their weight back after they lost it. IS it possible to lose weight and to keep the weight lost?

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Increase your rate of metabolism by building muscle mass. This will keep off body fat until you lose muscle then your metabolism will slow and you'll start storing fat again. You can always exercise a lot, but that is just burning more calories than you take in. As soon as you stop doing that, you will again gain fat.

It seems that a normal diet and building adequate muscular strength for your body size is the best solution. There's no quick way's to keep weight off for good.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Yes. But the answer is not a 'fad' diet. The answer is a lifestyle change. My wife and I are entering into our mid-thirties now, and are in better shape than ever in our lives. We are committed to eating right, exercising, being healthy and looking good for each other. We have had two kids, at one point I had quite the gut growing on me, and there was a point where she weighed more than I did. Now at 5'2" she only weighs 124lbs. (heading to her goal of 110lbs) and I have gone from 180lbs. with a well-sized gut to 210lbs. and a flat stomach. (no you can't see my abs sticking out, but I am working on it!) We phased crap-foods out of our lives bit by bit and slowly introduced better alternatives. Over a period of 4 years we went from fast-food junkies, chips, pop, candy, etc.etc. to fruits, veggies, lean meats, and the kind of meals I never would have thought I would find myself eating much less actually enjoying. As far as exercising, we alternate cardio and weight training, 4 days a week, 1 hour each day. Ya, we could do more and see results faster, but we want to keep it fun and flexible, while also being committed to it. Like I said, it's a lifestyle, we both expect to be doing this for the rest of our lives. We didn't expect overnight results, which is why we focused mostly on the food to start with, it is the most important I believe.

apc

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Start cutting parts off that won't grow back.

Or get active and stay active. There's no miracle diet that lets you stay in shape and still sit on the couch watching TV for hours on end. If exercise isn't your thing, try hiking. Try tennis. Just stay active.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
thing is with diets,is people loose the weight,and once that is done,they go back to eating crud and doing little or no exersize. As theanaon poster said,it's a lifestyle change,not just a quick fix.

So yes,you can loose the weight and keep it off,but you have to work for it.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I dropped about 80 pounds 6 years ago and have been maintaining said weight loss ever since. it is possible. I went the no carb route and now I rarely eat em. I walk about a mile a day, when possible. no other workout, unless chasing my kids around counts.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The solution in itself is very simple. Eat right, excersize and as Ben said build muscle mass.

I have had two problems with this equasion myself.
1. Food is my hobbie/drug. I will try to give up the bad stuff, then I will have a bad day or I will be too tired after work to cook or whatever so I pick up a fast solution from the store or something to soothe my mood (I am an emotional eater)

2. I am squeemish about sweat. I often refrain from excersizing because sweating makes me feel all creepy crawly. However now that I work, I get quite a bit of excersize at work. I do a lot of walking at work, and a lot of lifting with various muscles of my body.

So my number one issue right now is my relationship with food.

top topics

join