It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Reverses Gore Endoresement (Joke)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Mere moments after formally announcing his backing for Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama in an email to supporters, former Vice President Al Gore’s endorsement was blocked and reversed by a 5-4 Supreme Court decision, handing the Nobel Prize winner’s full throated support to Republican nominee John McCain.

Writing for the majority, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said that regardless of who Gore intended to support, a strict constructionist reading of his statement made it clear that, from a legal standpoint, his endorsement must be awarded to the GOP candidate.

Story

Can they actually do this? I thought people can endorse who they want?

[edit on 17-6-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
While I have NO love for the current court or administration, I hope you realize this is a satire piece. Pretty funny one IMO as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Yell04

Satire, irony and sarcasm are not American strong points, it seems.

Family Guy makes me laugh because whenever they do insert irony or sarcasm, it has to be pointed out as such. Added for the benefit of Americans, perhaps?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
As a life long citizen of the USA who has for the most part a very sarcastic sense of humor I can attest to the fact that Americans (US citizens) do NOT get it. I am generally met with blank stares, insulted expressions, violent responses, and fits of crying.

As soon as I saw the headline I knew this to be a satirical piece on how the Supreme Court awarded Bush the nomination in 200o by voting to end the recount in Florida.

A fact so many do not realize or care to not talk about. Well I suppose saying "well we are not sure who won because our courts decided to end the couting of the vot5es" is a bit embarrassing isn't it?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The whole American's not getting it would say a lot.

I like animal am fairly sarcastic...

and people don't like me.

Coven

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I like you, coven, and I think that piece is FUNNY!

Of course, people don't often get my sense of humor either.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I like you, coven

You two really need to get a room. Seriously

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
You need to be more careful what you use for news sources. This is a comedy site.

You should go to The Onion if you want real news storys!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

I never use this site, check my previous threads. I didn't even post this in the breaking news section. Actually I just posed a question. I was walking out the door and decided to post real quick.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Sadly, you are pretty much correct. Many would have a hard time with British Comedy.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think John Kerry had the same type of experience. Wasn't he against Obama, before he was for him?
Or was it the other way around?

top topics

join