It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Find Batch of 'Super Earths'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil
how is it they can find info like this out but we can only get crap ass photos of mars and the moon

something isnt adding up or it is and we are just being left in the dark with what they think we need to know and how or when we need to know it

this is just crap

great post though

well, this is much less crap than the stuff NASA talks about.

Europe is more open with this info - while NASA covers it up.

I just love the photoshop pics all over nasa's site

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Couple of thoughts...

1. I believe undoubtedly in not just life on other planets, but intelligent life on other planets. The arrogance required to think otherwise surpasses even my own huge ego.

2. Finding life on other worlds would actually strengthen belief in the Christian Bible. Comments about God speaking to "many worlds" and the passage about the men of old, men of renown, etc. Not to mention the flaming wheel seen in the sky. Nowhere in the Bible is there anything to support our being alone in the universe.

3. That isn't to say I don't find the headline sensationalistic on this article. To the avergae Joe the headline and quotes are intended to place the image of an alien Earth into their mind. In reality, we haven't the technology to know much about these planets aside from estimating their size and their rotational habits. They could be barren, solid ice, atmosphere composed of corrosive acid, etc. We simply don't know. To call them "Super Earths" is like saying Mars and Venus are also "Super Earths" which we, in fact, know they are vastly different from our little ball of rock and water happliy rotating through the void.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Couple of thoughts...

1. I believe undoubtedly in not just life on other planets, but intelligent life on other planets. The arrogance required to think otherwise surpasses even my own huge ego.

Why do you have this 'belief'? Is it based on science, probability or just wishful thinking?

Explain to me how arrogance figures into it, please.

There are those who are reserving judgment until more facts are available, but I'm unaware of anyone who thinks we are unique merely based on a need to feel superior or special.

Personally, I think those who use the 'arrogance' phrase are just trying to argue by intimidation.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wow23

Enquiring minds would like to know if there are intelligent and wiser life, why would they want to make contact with a race such as ours who in the life cycle are in the rebellious teen period and self interest rules. Have you tried living with a rebellious teenager who only is interested in self gratification and also who says that wiser intelligent life is not also ruled by emotions or self interest.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Planets five and six times the Earths density, multiple solar systems with potential for each individual star having its own planetary chain in rotation. Fascinating to say the least.

Here's some thoughts before anyone starts thinkning that UFO's might come from these kinds of "earth-like planets". With their increased gravity as compared to earth's, could anything fly there? Wonder what the escape velocity would be to get something into orbit??

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Simple answer is that I have read a lot of books. Some of the books I have read have been about the Drake Equation, some have been scientific breakdowns of the "reality" of popular science-fiction themes, including extra-Earth life, others have been cases against intelligent ET life based on, among other things, the Fermi Paradox and the rare Earth theory. Also throw the Bible in there, although I will assume many will discard it based on a bias against religion being brought into the equation. From all of this I have formed the belief that we cannot be alone in the universe.

I believe it is arrogant to think we are unique as an intelligent species, let alone believing Earth is alone in supporting life, because to believe that you have to answer the question of "Why here?" Science has indicated that signs of bacteria have been found on Mars. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I had a book once on physics, probability, and statistics as they all related to interstellar travel and the universe. One of the things I took away from the book was something quite unique to the discussion of interstellar life and intelligent life... the fact that life has advanced to the point it is at today on Earth is almost statistically impossible. However, the fact that it has happened, under a littany of unfavorable conditions and extinction events that Earth has experienced, actually improves the odds that it has happened on another planet, and another, and another. The hard part was opening the door, but once it was opened, others were bound to walk through. I'm not saying Earth opened the door to life in any way, but I do believe that we were one of many that walked through the open door. Which leads me back to the arrogance issue, for someone to believe Earth alone generated this miracle of life, a person would have to believe that Earth is somehow unique beyond all we know and all we have yet to learn. I simply do not see it that way.

I could continue with this, bringing historical evidence of alien contact with ancient races, historical evidence of alien contact in modern times, UFOs, evidence of the existance of the nephilim, etc into the discussion, but for now I think I have presented a suitable answer to your question.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Depends entirely on the size of the planet. If gravity is 5 times as strong as Earth's, but the planet is only twice the size, then the escape velocity would only be about 3 times that of Earth. However, considering the only way to potentially get across the galaxy in any reasonable time would entail punching a hole through space/time and that one theoretical way to do that is to create a small black hole with a gravity drive, the escape velocity of the source planet probably wouldn't create the problem you might expect. Reverse the polarity of the drive with respect to the polarity of the field on the body you're trying to launch from, and suddenly you're trying to push two magnets together, north end to north end, and the end result is basically pushing off the surface and away from the adverse force. You're right if we were talking about conventional propulsion based crafts, however. This is why we're still a long way from exploring anything outside our solar system...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

just to be blunt, no flame intended, but it's pretty well known that UFOs use anti-gravity for planetary flight (so it doesn't really matter how much gravity the planet produces)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminist

just to be blunt, no flame intended, but it's pretty well known that UFOs use anti-gravity for planetary flight (so it doesn't really matter how much gravity the planet produces)

Well your not wrong there. Ships that use some type of anti-gravity are creating their own field of gravity much like our own planet.

Stan Deyo talks a lot about this if anyone is interested.

-fm

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I'm not sure about the source of your comments on life being statistically improbable, but some things are not easily applicable to statistical theory, especially one-time events, or things which have no precedence.

Probability of life on Earth would be one of those things which is not able to be properly statistically analyzed, because there's not enough data.

Again on the 'it's arrogance not to believe' thing, I still think it's a hold-over to Argument From Intimidation. (IOW, it's an appeal to guilt or an attempt to force political correctness) It really has little bearing on the issue. It simply makes sense to withhold judgment on some issues because there's not enough information to make an informed decision.

In fact it may be very possible that though there could be other sentient civilizations, our particular type of intelligence, may indeed be unique. We are aggressive, yet empathetic, inquisitive, yet isolationist. We are probably derived from the same ancestors as apes. Perhaps the entire rest of the Galactic Civilizations are derived from a different type of ancestor (such as an insect hive mind). Would you still say we are arrogant thinking we're unique?

(In fact, if you think about it, it may be very likely if not probable that advanced civilizations are based on a hive mind, acquiring all the benefis from large numbers of intelligences, but minus the dissention present in individual minds. They'd make the best use of their natural resources, all working for the same goals)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

You are absolutely right. The numbers just go on and on! If you talk about one subject, it leads you to a crossroad to another 4! One day, I'm just going to start counting and see how far I get! The possibilities are limitless. Just think, the Multi-Verse theory was recently introduced. My god, I can't even imagine how many stars there are in our galaxy!

Overall great thread STar and FLag for you DD!

Great, now we know where were going! Only problem is how were going to get there!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Cool find. Imagine having a season a day, and having a birthday every four days. Christmas would suck. You wouldn't have enough time to shop...

There would be no seasons, the only reason we have seasons is beacause of our tilted axis. If the planets in question do not have a tilted axis they would experience no seasons and therefore would not notice a change in the time of year.

[edit on 08/6/16 by metaldemon2000]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yeah, I want to see all of the close up images of the Moon, Mars, etc. Especially the ones that arent photoshopped by NASA!!! lol

I think that is really cool how the Europeans expose more Alien/Planet related phenomenon more so than NASA ever would. NASA is just a military complex and goes by there selfish ideals, imposed by god knows who.

Europeans, keep the new discoveries coming!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
you have time to shop , over here in the UK christmas starts in august/ autumn time, so class it as day 3
mmmm 4 day year.
Day 1 - my birthday - hungover from new years eve. drunk for birthday
Day 2 - hungover - somebody elses birthday/enjoying the summer- drunk
Day 3 - hungover - mad dash to shops for christmas - pub lunch-drunk.
Day 4 - Christmas- drinks all round, new years eve drinks.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Now, wouldn't that be cool!! think of it, a planet that revolved around its "Sun" in 10 days!

HELL yeah! Bring it on! Besides having to hang on to my hat i will get an annual bonus 3 times every "Earth" month!! That's 36 annual bonuses a year and 3 annual increases in salary!! I WILL BE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah - ok when do we leave?? LOL

[edit on 17/6/2008 by shearder]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I don't know why it would have an impact on religion. This is all part of the assumption that there's only one creation of sentient ilfe, which is not biblical. In fact, there's several different types of angels, both in appearance and in function. They were all creations before us. Sooo, yeah, who knows how long this has been going on and how many other lifeforms are out there. AND, religion is a misnomer. You work for someone whether you believe they exist or not. And work is worship. And worship is religion.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   

It simply makes sense to withhold judgment on some issues because there's not enough information to make an informed decision.

Thats fair enough, but discovering life in ANY form outside our Earth is pretty significant, I don't care if it's toe nail clippings on Uranus. I may not be significant for you, but for most people on this planet, it will change their life, me included. I believe there is life in our very solar system, but this is here nor there, if one day proven it will be nice, but it won't make me believe it anymore. Some people need evidence before they let themselves 'believe', so a discovery like this, for these people would be incredible, same for the people who outright disbelieve it, maybe they still won't believe it?

Starred and Flagged, good find!!

thanks. EMM

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Proof of another lifeform will have its impact on relegion depending on what kind of proof it is. "just" a bacteria would not have to have that much impact (although IMO this already would have impact).
But what happens if a complete civilization is discovered (or they discover us) and we are outnumbered by billions and the bring in their own relegion, which is very much different from ours. That would be a shocker!

To make it worse they could tell us (and prove it) we were planted on this planet by them and everything we lived for until now (including our religion) was directed by them.

Farfetched? maybe but who knows fore sure.

Still were talking all theory as long as they have not made theirselfs visible in public (who or what ever "they" are).

I for one are highly convinced of the idea other (intelligent) life exists, but like most of us I'm waiting for the non-mistakable truth, disclosure if you will

great topic!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
SUPER COOL God I hope it's real

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join