It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It's called the food chain. Be glad you are on top. If you don't want to eat meat, great, more for me. I wasn't designed to work as hard as I have to, but I do get it done. You can have my t-bone steak when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I like Duality. I hope nothing I said came off as being against vegetarians, but rather, against vegetarians who propagandize vegetarianism and start spreading rumors to scare people out of eating meat. If you believe in a vegetarian diet, admit that it isn't completely natural, and then supplement it properly, you're fine, and probably more healthy that the people around you eating meat every day. I just can't stand the rabid, dishonest vegans who spread urban legends to give them a sort of offensive moral high ground.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharr

Oh please you set there and talk about proof what of the proof that has already been shown against your argument. it is you who are ignoring the proof not us.

Great so you decided to become a vegaterian. good for you. Don't tell me my choice not to is wrong. don't say my proof is not valid and not show your own. you don't show it because it has already been refuted.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why are they made of meat?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Macrotus
Can you say sarcastic analogy? Again of course you can't make sense of that too can you?

I can make sense of it, but you weren't being sarcastic there and you know you weren't.

I'm not. I'm stating the obvious. And if humans born with forward looking binocular vision and having a pair of canine teeth can't see the obvious what they truly are, an omnivore, then I can't help you...

I know we're omnivores and that we eat both plant and animal matter as our primary sustainance, though. I just don't think that we have to be. It is said that omnivores aren't specifically adapted to eat either animal or plants solely, but I think humans can survive on a strictly plant diet, if they so choose. I mean, there are plenty that do, right?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I like Duality. I hope nothing I said came off as being against vegetarians, but rather, against vegetarians who propagandize vegetarianism and start spreading rumors to scare people out of eating meat. If you believe in a vegetarian diet, admit that it isn't completely natural, and then supplement it properly, you're fine, and probably more healthy that the people around you eating meat every day. I just can't stand the rabid, dishonest vegans who spread urban legends to give them a sort of offensive moral high ground.

Aww thanks.

You and me both though. There's nothing to be gained from belittling others, even if it's for a perceived 'good cause'
. That's my main reason for disliking PETA. If you're vegetarian and supporting them, they're your best friend. If you're not you're the worst scum ever and not worth talking to.

It sends a mixed message too, because it's like they hate you but want you to join them? Ergh. Not the right way to go. Not that I'm implying it's the job of vegetarians to convert the un-believers either! I guess it's just a case of "being the change you wish to see in others" here... If other people see what you're doing, think it looks alright and is beneficial then their own curiosity will drive them to accept or reject the ideals.

[edit on 16/6/08 by Duality]

[edit on 16/6/08 by Duality]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
You can debate the merits of the health, diet balancing or whatever, and everyone has their own opinion. But most rational people can at least find common ground and agree to reducing the suffering of the animals that go into their diet. Don't you think it says a lot about a person's character when they don't care whether their eggs come from caged battery hens or free rangers? Most hunters prefer a clean kill, so who really wants an animal to live in squalid conditions prior to an inhumane slaughter process?

BTW Since when did moral high-ground become a bad thing, I thought that's how we make a better world - and what is the preferred alternative, a moral morass? Someone who challenges your morals is not automatically your enemy out to get you. I just wish people would have the fortitude to spare a compassionate thought and some gratitude towards the meal on their plate and spend their money accordingly.

And yes, of course this thread belongs in another forum. Survival is survival and I would be lying if I said I wouldn't kill an animal and eat its flesh in a life or death situation. I would make sure it died as humanely as possible and give heartfelt thanks to it's spirit.

link   

He held up a well-thumbed copy of Aiello’s book and said, “Her CV is so long, it’s hard to know where to start.” But two seminal ideas stand out, said Lieberman. One is that in evolutionary terms, big human brains — with enormous energy requirements — are inversely proportional to gut size.

This idea — called the Expensive Tissue Hypothesis (ETH) in Aiello’s co-authored 1992 paper — argues that around 1.5 million years ago early humans began to eat more meat, a compact, high-energy source of calories that does not require a large intestinal system.

A second seminal idea posited by Aiello and another colleague is that increased brain size meant higher reproductive costs for females — who, over time, compensated in part by increasing in size at a greater rate than males of the genus Homo. (Homo erectus females had a 64 percent larger body mass than earlier hominids; males of the species — though still larger than females — were larger than their earlier male counterparts by only 45 percent.)

www.news.harvard.edu...

Researchers have been kicking around the theory for over a decade that eating larger portions of meat pushed human physiology and brain size and may be a very important factor in our evolution.

The theory isn't fact, nor is it superfluous ... But it is something interesting to chew on.

link   
If man didn't eat meat the earth would be so overpopulated with wild animals it wouldn't be fit to live in. I fully believe animals and fish were put here for our sustenance, not just the meat but before the advent of vinyls etc. man had to have animal skins to survive many climates.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think back when Jesus was here he would have said something to us. But he didn't, so yes we are ment to eat meat. Even Jesus ate meat. And meat is where we get alot of our protien, and amino acids..

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Around 1.5 million years ago there was “a lot going on” in evolutionary terms, said Aiello. Hominid habitat changed, along with the size of early human craniums (larger) and jaws (smaller).

But growing brain size presented a metabolic problem. A gram of brain tissue takes 20 times more energy to grow and maintain than a gram of tissue from the kidney, heart, or liver, she said. Gut tissue is metabolically expensive too — so as brains grew gut sizes shrank.

It’s likely that meat eating “made it possible for humans to evolve a larger brain size,” said Aiello. Early human ancestors probably consumed more animal foods — termites and small mammals – than the 2 percent of carnivorous caloric intake associated with chimpanzees.

The social implications of increased meat eating were interesting, said Aiellio. In most primates, there’s no food sharing between females and offspring, she said. But the difficulty of getting meat led to cooperative food sharing among early humans, strengthening the bond between a female and her offspring.

The above is actually a better quote from the same website I posted above. Especially since it contains the direct quote '"It’s likely that meat eating “made it possible for humans to evolve a larger brain size,”'

I've had many friends go through their 'vegetarian stage' some even Vegans. This peaked around the time of punk music/hardcore phase and 'straight-edge' non-sense. Vegetarians, in my opinion, are largely bandwagon jumpers and trendy. When they try to use a moral arguement or a physiological arguement they just look like they are preaching.

No one likes preachers.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I hardly wanted to reply as there are some excellent posts regard and refuting the absolute theory on humans and vegetarians...
teeth multiple enzymes, history, and practicality and biology
ominivours-r-us
we can exist and thrive other wise but we are built for it to eat it all
predatory stereoscopic vision and all....

and evolution only happens when traits are chosen to continue, things don't just appear in a whole population at random and work the same.

a single change can happen and be similar elsewhere but a wholesale change to a species happens through selection of the trait and it being then passed down. or ignoring a trait and it being passed on...
not just poof! and everyone gets 4 arms
te 4 armed person needs many children to pass on the feature to the next generations...
now polydactyly multiple fingers- this happens as it appears to be code or an easy error of duplicity...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Dogs don't eat bells either but Pavlov conditioned a response out of one by using,...a bell. We salivate at what we associate with food. I like bread, but don't salivate around wheat fields either. My body and mind don't associate it as food,... yet.

You submit this as "proof?" And you only used the facts that support your statement? Using only the back teeth as others have said.

Attack both sides of the problem.

I may have to register finally.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Danger Girl

If it makes you happy
I`m not going to disagree with ya.
But I`ll eat what I want and that includes meat

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Canines (wolves, Dogs, Cyotes..) have the same teeth structure as Humans. Sharp teeth up front for ripping and tearing, flat teeth in the back for grinding.

Tell me a Wolf is really a herbivore. I dare you.

Humans are omnivores, it doesn't matter if we started out eating grains and fruits, we are what we are now and that is an omnivore.

Human diets also relate to where they live.

Also the digestion of proteins FROM ANIMALS as we evolved from the Ape lead to the increase in brain size, thus giving us our intelligence. Humans them selves never where herbivores, however some species of our ancestors where..

Stupid vegetarians and their self righteous crusade... I would like to BBQ a Vegetarian.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Cow eats grain and vegtables he is a herbivore. I eat the cow that ate the grain and vegtables I am a herbivore. You are what you eat. Ill let the cow eat the crap I dont want to than I will eat him.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Stupid vegetarians and their self righteous crusade... I would like to BBQ a Vegetarian.

Haha! If you tried BBQ'ing me I'd break your neck and leave you dead on the floor where you fell, Masonic There!

I'd just thought I'd post this if anyone wants to turn this situation into a laughing matter (I do):

(3 parts)

Both "sides" of the argument get kicked in the shins. Good old Morris.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by drift393

Makes me want a hamburger!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Haha! If you tried BBQ'ing me I'd break your neck and leave you dead on the floor where you fell, Masonic There!

K? Look at me now.. Shaking in my little space boots...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
9 out of 10 cannibals agree--vegetarians taste better!

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join