It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troubling object spotted behind space shuttle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Troubling object spotted behind space shuttle

MSNBC

NASA engineers were trying to identify an object that floated away from Discovery and were analyzing a protrusion found on its rudder Friday, a day before the space shuttle was scheduled to land.

The two issues were noticed after a routine test of the spacecraft's flight control systems and steering jets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-6-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Could something alien got attached to the shuttle and now broke free? Could it be something totally not from the shuttle?

MSNBC
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-6-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
ongoing discussion here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danger Girl
ongoing discussion here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

that thread is closed, and one of its last posts was to refer people to this one...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I REALLY hope they make it back ok. I would be happy if we can go my entire life without another disaster.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
More faulty panelling on behalf of NASA?

I should hope not, and p.s; this sounds like the storyline behind the origins of Venom, the space-symbiote from the spider-man series.

Hopefully it is venom, and not some species-destroying space-plague.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It has been found out by NASA.

The debris spotted floating away from space shuttle Discovery has been preliminarily identified as a thermal clip from the shuttle's brake system, NASA said Friday.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well, that would lead one to believe that the space ship collided with some stationary debris left behind by a satelliete (ironically, it's possible it's the one the chinese shot down).

It won't have been a meteorite, because that would have shot through the hull (last i heard, at least).

Otherwise, what?

Is it just falling apart?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
Well, that would lead one to believe that the space ship collided with some stationary debris left behind by a satelliete (ironically, it's possible it's the one

Stationary debris? Not much is ever stationary up there - and then even when you do think something is stationary that's only because it is stationary in relation to your point of view.

For example a satellite in A geostationary orbit (GEO) will appear to be stationary - ie will stay in the same place in the sky in relation to you, but in reality it is going 10 to the dozen to keep it's self there. 11,052 km / hour or 6,876 MPH at a distance of 35,786 km (22,240 statute miles).

And what is the link to the satellite the Chinese shot down?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AFP) -

The object could be one of three clips from inside the rudder speed brake, William Jeffs, a spokesman at Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, told AFP, adding that the loss of one "would not be a concern for entry or landing."

Mission control said on NASA TV that a bump spotted on the shuttle's rudder was also a "typical protrusion" and "is of no concern."

"The crew was told a short time ago that there are no concerns for entry and landing, that those clips only serve to protect the speed brake from the flow of heating during ascent," mission control said.

"We've seen these things come off before," he said, adding: "It is no worry at all, it has no effect on re-entry and Discovery is in great shape.

Friday the 13th too, go figure.

This is a bit disturbing to say the least. NASA once again seems more concerned with it's public image rather than seeing that these types of failures do not occur.

I saw another article earlier today where NASA said - "Shuttles have come back with the clips missing many times before with no problems" All I can say is then, why didn't you address the problem and see that the clips are adhered better?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

For all intents and purposes, a geostationary orbit is pretty stationary, at least when compared to meteorites that shoot out from the depths of space at speeds which defy terrestrial laws.

To Astronauts orbiting the planet, they appear stationary too, despite what we know.

Anyway, The link to the chinese missile attack on a U.S satelliete is a possibility, one i made out of light humour.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Ahh Ok, I just wanted to point out that a GEO is the furthest orbit out - I think it's something like adding the diameter of the Earth, so it's pretty far out.

new topics

top topics

join