It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC: UK govt files on Iraq and Al-Qaeda go missing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

BBC: UK govt files on Iraq and Al-Qaeda go missing

Top-secret documents containing the latest government intelligence assessment on al-Qaeda have been left on a train in London.

The documents belonged to a very senior intelligence official working in the Cabinet Office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-6-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
How odd the government files on the assessment of Iraq and Al-Qaeda have gone missing on the day Parliament is voting on a possible law to allow suspects to be held for 42 days without trial.

How odd indeed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
How can these bumbling idiots be in power? I have never left anything on the train. I may have lost a couple travel mugs from the roof of my car but that's it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Iraq report was a top secret military report, which was left on a train seat. Someone handed the information to the BBC.

Not sure if the reports are still "missing" or the BBC has them, but the Met is launching an investigation as we speak.

Again, interesting how this happens on the evening of a major anti-terror vote in Parliament
Am I too being cynical?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Breach is meant to be even worse than the KGB infiltration of Whitehall

More worrying, we elected these individuals to protect us...pftt

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If thats the document I think it is, then some ones career is finished.

This is as bad as it could get.

It would be like leaving the entire portfolio of intelligence on the IRA on a train in 1980's northern Ireland.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
We lost the 42 day vote btw

9 DUP MP's backed the deal.

Traitors.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
We lost the 42 day vote btw

9 DUP MP's backed the deal.

Traitors.

Oh for f
hells sake.

42 days detention without trial. 42 days. One month and twelve days.

It makes me sick it really does.

The UK is screwed now. here it comes people, becaue you know that once they have this power it creeps into every ones lives...

THINK IM PARANOID ? READ THE EUROPEAN UNIONS DEFINITION OF A TERRORIST.

That'll make you sit up and really start to take notice.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well, I could not agree with you more infinite,"What a coincidence".

In the age of information I can not believe they would risk taking it on a trip using public transport.........just does not make sense.

If we are right, then the BBC will reveal or leak some information....after all thats what they want aye.

I wonder who it was that found it?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Due to the word "terrorist" not being clearly defined by this act, I feel we cannot exercise criticism at the government without being locked up.

I would not surprised if we are all waterboarded next

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Greatest quote of all time about the anti-terrorism policy of the United Kingdom;

Veteran former Labour MP Tony Benn said: "I never thought I would be in the House of Commons on the day Magna Carta was repealed".

There is a coincidence with this massive security leak and vote. Question is, who left it on the train? Whitehall have no idea how the files left the building.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Another source..

It is understood that the two documents - both marked "Secret" - relate to al Qaeda in Pakistan and the security situation in Iraq and were lost yesterday.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We are making inquiries in connection with the loss of documents on June 10."

The Government says it is "greatly concerned" and has launched an investigation.

Skynews

Now I am suspicious. The files have been missing for 24 hours and the press were informed before Parliament voted on the anti-terror legislation? Something is not right. Am I being paranoid or is there a genuine concern here?

[edit on 11-6-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
They lost the vote by 9........very narrow margin.

Grubby politics quoted by Sky news with horse trading, threats and promises of Knighthoods etc.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dillons
They lost the vote by 9........very narrow margin.

Grubby politics quoted by Sky news with horse trading, threats and promises of Knighthoods etc.

They've promised Knighthoods?!

Please tell me I have misread your post

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yes, the word is that Keith Vas was promised a Knighthood.....He denies it of course but, I was watching the debate on the parliament channel when it was mentioned to Mr Vas (MP for Leicester) by another MP as he was addressing the house. When he denied it they all geared as if to say you lying B*****d.

The MSM have mentioned it too.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason plot.

I see no reason, why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.....

42 days, huh? Yikes! It's not like you guys don't have enough cameras over there as a behavioural deterrent, though fines for dropping an apple core are incredible to believe, but now you can be held for over a month without a trial?!?

Ouch!

And I don't believe for a second that highly confidential documents were left on a train. Sorry, but it smacks of an intentionally orchestrated news piece to subtly communicate ineptitude on the part of the governmnt and intelligence.

Though I believe it exists, not with the story being so close to the vote.

Think about it this way...people are more likely going to be enticed at what 'secrets' are there without any way to verify and substantiate it then they are going to be concerned with the passing of legislation that will effect 'only the bad guys'...

The end result is the glamoured waiting on the edge of their seats waiting for the next news report to 'learn' more....

My $0.02 cents...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dillons
Yes, the word is that Keith Vas was promised a Knighthood.....He denies it of course but, I was watching the debate on the parliament channel when it was mentioned to Mr Vas (MP for Leicester) by another MP as he was addressing the house. When he denied it they all geared as if to say you lying B*****d.

The MSM have mentioned it too.

Well, that is one way for a Prime Minister to be tried with corruption and impeached. Which might happen now. If he appears on the Honours List then expect the House of Lords to start asking questions.

Browns concession may have dug himself a grave.

MemoryShock, this is not the first time the government has lost secret information either. Citizen details have gone "missing" in the past too.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
As a duly concerned American 'cousin', I have to say - the appearance that both our peoples suffer under the same 'leadership' circumstances becomes more solid each and every day!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
stupid reply

edit:

[edit on 11-6-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
MemoryShock, this is not the first time the government has lost secret information either. Citizen details have gone "missing" in the past too.

Perhaps it is a fabrication to give the authorities an easily referenced reason for not having recorded information at some point....

My opinion....I have similar thoughts on what happens over here...sometimes it just seems like there is sleight of hand after sleight of hand after sleight of hand in front of a mirror that is sitting across from another mirror.

It's confusing sometimes to know where to point the finger because the real slim shady just won't stand up...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join