It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age of empires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
any age of empires players here?
whats you fav AOE and who do you like playing as?

my fav is 2 and i like playing as the sarcerians
also 3 is intresting

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

is that the game with the cheat howdoyouturnthisthingon

if so, i havent played it in ages, i remeber putting that cheat in like twenty times, and driving out and owning the enemy, i still play games like that, but not age of empires itself.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I havent played this game in AGES!!

I used to spend hours on this, my fav is definetly 2, I used to play as the Teutons, used to use plenty of trebuchet and Teutonic knights to slowly grind down my opponents with a siege style war machine.

Just talking about it makes me wanna play it again but I'm a Dawn of War fan now!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

dawn of war, as in war hammer, i need help, whenever i install it, and try to play it, an error message comes up, can you help

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'll try, I've had that problem with a few games before, it could be that your comp doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the game or you might need to download an update patch for it off the net.

Whats does the error message say?

DoW is unreal, Imperial Guard and Orks all the way!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've put in DAYS of play on AOE. 2nd (medieval) is my favorite. Played all of the missions, and just randomly generated scenarios.

If I had any complaints, it'd be the amount of "clickwar" involved in the combat. You can see that the original design envisioned actual strategy, with different combat formations etc. But it is more worthwhile just to set everyone to "attack," and take out the enemy trebuchets first.

I tend more toward pure strategy these days; chess, etc. I recently participated in a game of "Terrible Swift Sword"---a friend of mine has the original pasteboard pieces and map. Probably my best single experience in wargaming was a game of "Diplomacy" that went on for almost 3 years. So I'm not exactly a representative sample of either ATS or computer players of anything.

How about a nice game of chess.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

two things, its vista(i think thats the problem) and secondly, ive played it at a friends house, i have this to say BANEBLADE ALL THE WAY, that is one big fricking tank, its not a tank, its seven tanks, 14 guns

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
for me it doesn't matter who I play, I love this game, I make a base then put a wall round it. Then after a while I put another wall further out. Eventually I extend my territory cross most of the board.

I put up bombard (sp) towers in front to ward off any would be baddies trying to make a mess of my lil fort then I send out a small army after my enemies. Usually starting with the suicide bombers then work up to faster units till I have my catapults going to take out castles and other fortifications.

A little trick I found is that catapults can be used to cut large paths through heavy forests so you can make sneak attacks against your enemies on forest maps

[edit on 6/9/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Yea... AoE was great

2 was the one i played the most i belive, the Age of Kings???

I used to play it online... i was the Turks... i loved the Jannisaries...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Oh I shudder to think about all of the time that I wasted...er....spent playing AoE. At one point I am certain that I must have spent two or three hours a night for a month playing this. I know that this probably isn't much time compared to what some might play but, believe me, this is a lot of time.,

Thankfully, I was able to get over my AoE addiction by replacing it with another obsession -- ATS. It was right about the time that I was firmly entrenched with game play that I discovered ATS. Suddenly, I felt that I had found " my place on the net". Instead of playing LAN games with friends, I started making NEW friends on ATS. The best part was that with ATS, I never felt like I had wasted an evening away.

Still, I must admit, I miss AoE. It was a fun game and a well designed one at that. But it was a real time-waster. It could suck away the hours from ones' life faster than OPEC can raise petroleum prices. Nevertheless, no regrets. The day I stopped playing AoE and, for that matter, most games (I still play Chess) was the day that my productivity returned.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Oh yeah, I have AOE 2 and AOE: Age of Kings. I liked Kings better, mostly because the AI was smarter, but also because of the extra civilizations you could play. I was always a fan of the Turks because they got Bombard Towers and all the other gunpowder stuff. My strategy was to hole up with zillions of towers and castles and build units like trebuchets for offense, with janissaries and crap to guard them. I liked the towers because they didn't count towards the population limit, so you could have more villagers/soldiers.

Some of the other civs were fun, too. Persians got elephants, that was awesome! And the Spanish could get that tech that made their villagers into uber fighting machines. Aztecs and their monks were fun, too, and the Koreans were a lot like the Turks. This was a great game.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
oh.....cool thread...I love no 2...the Persian....Love the elephants....ever play on line?
....fun as..will join ya any time...lol.......
OI have all versions...tell me when......im in

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It should work if you have Vista, I've installed it on two comps (laptop+desktop) both with Vista and its worked fine for me.

Yeah Baneblade is deffo my fav, its the size and the BOOOM!!! it makes when the main cannon fires!

EDIT: Above post is to outrider...reply button isn't working:bnghd:

[edit on 10-6-2008 by fred3110]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think it's AOE2, but I remember playing the Tartans. Surprised nobody has mentioned them (Attila the Hun) Campaign. They were fast and strong and the fire attacks the calvary had could take down opposing villages in a matter of minutes.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thats right, Age of Kings was a expansion for AoE2...

I played that game so much online...

There was this online game-mode, called RPG, where you had control of one charecter, and ot expernce thru the Map, with a scriped Gameplay...

Like 5-6 people started as a group, adcanveing as they get kills and XP... you start out as a normal swordsman, or archer, and upgrade until you are a hero... it was so fun...

AoE will always be one of my Fav RTS games...

The Total War series has blown every other RTS game out of the Water for me... i played AoE3, i thought it was terrible...

Once you fight a ballte with 10000 men on the screen, you realy cant go back to a game with a 200 person pop limit... Still fun, but TW is the best...

top topics

join