It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Blame Democrats for 'A Nation of $4 Gasoline'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Boone 870

Boone your from Missouri? The Show me state? Well show me a strong dollar and oil will go down. I dont care how much more oil we drill if we have a worthless dollar it will not make a difference. So show me a strong dollar and show me a government who is willing to follow a strong dollar policy because the last 8 years we have added almost 5 trillion to the national debt. Also show me a candidate who is really concerned about the dollar besides Ron Paul. Show me all this and we MIGHT be able to bring oil down.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Uh Leo, I think if you reread what I've posted so far you'll see that I agree with you about the faltering dollar. My statement about ANWR was purely to correct the idea that the lack of US drilling there was somehow the fault of both republicans and democrats. I believe if we'd been drilling there and were recovering oil from the Dakota shale deposits over the last 30 years we'd sure as hell not be in the current morass of dependancy on the house of Saud that we find outselves in right now, however. But you're right when you say there is no shortage and that it isn't a shortage causing the pricing we're seeing right now. Although flooding the market with oil, I'm talking way oversupplying it, would hurt the oil company's and OPEC's profits in the short term, but it would flat out cripple the speculators and in the long run it would resolve most of the problems faced by both the consumer and the providers.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
any way you look at it, it's all of our faults for being so damn addicted to oil and willing to pay anything for it.

-J

[edit on 9-6-2008 by 2nd2no1]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Democrats are to blame for the high gas prices. If they would have allowed for more drilling and building more refineries,we would not be in this situation now. Kick them all out of office

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Thank you for posting this. Sometimes the truth is is kind of boring and I guess this is perhaps why nobody is commenting on this. Where exactly has deregulation of energy (infrastructure) ever worked to our benefit?

Star!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

You sir, are correct. The Saudis called for an immediate meeting with OPEC nations today to discuss the price of oil, they said that the price increase is NOT from demand, but from speculators.

Saudi Arabia says it will call for a meeting of oil producing countries and consumers to discuss soaring oil prices and work to prevent unjustified rise in prices.

Information and Culture Minister Iyad Madani says the kingdom will work with OPEC to "guarantee the availability of oil supplies now and in the future."

In a statement following the weekly Cabinet meeting, Monday, the minister said Saudi Arabia will also work to control "unwarranted and unnatural" price hikes.

He said that the current price of oil is unjustified.

www.onenewsnow.com...

[edit on 9-6-2008 by West Coast]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Originally posted by xmotex
Whether or not we drill in the ANWR has about 1/100 as much to do with oil prices as our current policy in the Middle East does.

This is true, because today's oil prices are the price of mideastern oil. If we had enough of our own, we could control the price.

reply to post by Leo Strauss

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
If we increased our CAFE standards to a very modest and acheivable 35 mpg we would not need ANY foreign oil. NONE!!

This is absolutely true. Getting 35 mpg is something totally under our control, and, imo, the fact that we haven't achieved it is a management failure on the part of Detroit. And while increased fuel efficiency is not the total answer, every little bit helps.

reply to post by Boone 870

Originally posted by Boone 870
reply to post by The Nighthawk

In the end it doesn't matter. ANWAR doesn't have enough in it to make a dent in our consumption whether we drill there or not and the expense of drilling it would probably be higher than the return to the oil companies.

Hyperion is getting ready to "plunk down" $10,000,000,000 in South Dakota.

Here is what the opposition has to say,
"We have strategies in place to slow or delay all the permit processes." I'm sure that will add a little to the cost of opening the new refinery.

That is some sad s***, man. :shk:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Originally posted by Keyhole

It's hard to believe they allow this unregulated electronic exchanges to keep manipulating the price of fuel all around the world.

Re-regulate the OTC electronic exchanges and end these high fuel prices due to "speculators.

It's not like our government wasn't informed or didn't know that this could/would happen 2 YEARS AGO!!!

Perhaps 60% of today’s oil price is pure speculation

A June 2006 US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations report on “The Role of Market Speculation in rising oil and gas prices,” noted, “…there is substantial evidence supporting the conclusion that the large amount of speculation in the current market has significantly increased prices.”

What the Senate committee staff documented in the report was a gaping loophole in US Government regulation of oil derivatives trading so huge a herd of elephants could walk through it. That seems precisely what they have been doing in ramping oil prices through the roof in recent months.

The Senate report was ignored in the media and in the Congress.

This is something that we have control over. We need to petition our lawmakers to close this loophole. We did it with the amnesty bill, we can do it again. Once again, every little bit helps.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Americans crying about $4 dollars, try driving in the UK at the moment......

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Of course they do... its an election year but two things prove it for what it is... propaganda:

(1) The fact is the Republicans have had a stranglehold on power for the past 7 1/2 years and are desperate to pass the buck...

...While the Demcrats have controlled congress for the past 2 years they don't have enough votes to override either a filibuster or a presidential veto so their power to do anything without Republican cooperation is very limited indeed... So in the long run that argument simply does not hold much water.

(2) The oil companies... not only are oil CEO's actually on record telling congress that if they don't get what they want, prices will continue to rise (sounds like extortion to me) but the fact that the oil refineries are only working at 80% capacity and that if they were cranked up to work at 100% capacity, there would be plenty of oil.

I have maintained for some time now that this oil crisis that we are in is an Enron type of screwing of the American people (remember California's bogus energy crisis?) to force the government to give the oil companies what they want... unlimited access to drilling wherever they want and I have seen nothing yet to prove me wrong.

If the congress did give them unlimited access to drill wherever they wanted, it would still take years for the new fields to come on line while the price of oil continues to rise. And I have no faith that prices would drop after that.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

This is something that we have control over. We need to petition our lawmakers to close this loophole. We did it with the amnesty bill, we can do it again. Once again, every little bit helps.

I haven't contacted my representative in Washington yet, but in this other thread of mine, another member of ATS has,

Perhaps 60% of Today’s Oil Price is Pure Speculation

Originally posted by desert

Keyhole, here's what I wrote to my congresspeople
"Dear Representative/Senator

Please remove/repeal the provision of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 re the exemption from CFTC oversight of trading of energy commodities by large firms on OTC electronic exchanges.

Thank you."

And your right, every little bit helps, it sure can't hurt!

Like I said, I haven't done it yet, but I intend to today, I hope other other people follow suite and contact their reps in Washington also, it surely can't hurt and just might help end this nonsense that has allowed these gas prices to get sooo out of hand!

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Key I wrote to our local congress Tim Mahoney and I wrote to Bill Nelson 3x and only got canned responses everytime. These guys dont care about anything. They dont want to hear anything. Its pathetic.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
While our nation falls into bankruptcy and economic crisis, the wealthy investors are the ones winning and reaping the wealth in the Markets.

The markets are doing fantastic for the speculators in this nation, taking into consideration that almost every congressman has investments in the oil companies as they happen to be very good lobbyist you can imagine to whom they are going lean on, screw the regular American people.

BTW remember that we have an oilsman for president in the white hosue.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
Come to Denmark and enjoy $10 pr. gallon gas

I know you can't compare it directly because of different premises, but we do pay 50% i tax so there's not much left for gas afterwards, hehe.
Insane price.... I'm beginning to wonder if I can ever afford to start my own business with these prices :S

I believe it is your taxation that is insane my friend. I wonder if the air is cleaner where you live than in the U.S.?
Afterall that is the premise of the new Democratic party here, they believe that if gas costs more we will use it less and thereby spare the world of our capitalist, SUV driving smog..

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Originally posted by grover
Of course they do... its an election year but two things prove it for what it is... propaganda:

(1) The fact is the Republicans have had a stranglehold on power for the past 7 1/2 years and are desperate to pass the buck...

...While the Demcrats have controlled congress for the past 2 years they don't have enough votes to override either a filibuster or a presidential veto so their power to do anything without Republican cooperation is very limited indeed... So in the long run that argument simply does not hold much water.

Are you going to try to tell me that the Democrats haven't done more than their share of filibustering for the past 7.5 years?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Originally posted by marg6043
The markets are doing fantastic for the speculators in this nation, taking into consideration that almost every congressman has investments in the oil companies as they happen to be very good lobbyist you can imagine to whom they are going lean on, screw the regular American people.

Most of those speculators wouldn't recognize a barrel of crude if you dumped it on their head, marg. They are all Harvard MBA types.

Want to stop them in their tracks? Easily done.. just make them take delivery of the oil that they have purchased.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by estar
Americans crying about $4 dollars, try driving in the UK at the moment......
I'm afraid that is where we are headed. And we are letting it happen just as you Brits let it happen to you.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Hey heres a notion for ya JSO & Grover.....quit arguing over whos fault it is democrats & republicans and come to the reality its ALL their faults. They ALL have sat back and robbed this nation to a 10 trillion dollar and counting debt. Its ALL of them the slowly but surely snatch our individual freedoms away. Its ALL of them who choose to tell us how and why and when and where. I see all this bickering on this and so many other threads "No its the dems fault, NO its the repubs fault" and on and on and on and it just shows you how many sheeple we have out there. They want us to buy into this 2 party dictatorship. I mean land of the free but you get 2 choices to choose from? We need to get rid of this 2 party system then and ONLY then will you see change. This $4 gas is tied directly to money which sad to say most in congress have no clue about.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Want to stop them in their tracks? Easily done.. just make them take delivery of the oil that they have purchased.

Totally agree. Star for you sir.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Yes they do not have to even smell the crude they are speculating on, is just like the housing bubble in the making. They are playing monopoly with the lifehood of the people in this nation.

Oil lobbyist are all over Washington and they will make sure that congress just take the spoils they are giving away as long as they sit like little good dogs and take their doggy cookies treats.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join