It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece Hit By Strong Earthquake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Greece Hit By Strong Earthquake

news.sky.com

Greece has been hit by an earthquake measuring at least 6.1 on the Richter scale, according to the US Geological Survey.
The tremor struck the mountainous Peloponnese region, near the major city of Patras.
The only damage so far has been to old abandoned buildings, and the police have no immediate reports of casualties.

It registered at a depth of 10 km and could be felt as far away as Athens, the Geodynamic Institute said.

More follows...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
god is it just that we're taken more notice of things or are they happing more often? and also this
'Quake Lake' Hit By Landslides
Updated:14:56, Sunday June 08, 2008

Aftershocks causing landslides, have been reported at China's 'quake lake', making the dam even more vulnerable as water levels continues to rise.

The water levels are still risingJust a day after a channel was dug to ease the pressure on it's walls, the water remains "dangerously" high.

The inflow of water into the lake was nearly five times more than the amount leaving it via the channel and from natural leakage, reported Xinhua news agency.

The water level of Tangjiashan 'quake lake' in southwest China was continuing to rise dangerously despite the operation of the manmade channel since Saturday morning," said Zhang Ting, head of the hydro-meteorological bureau in Sichuan province.

More follows...

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

both stories here news.sky.com...

[edit on 8/6/08 by iammonkey]

[edit on 8/6/08 by iammonkey]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well we know there are quakes.

The tectonic plates move, We all know this, we just had a major quake in China!

Think of it like this, these vibrations are moving through the earth following the fault lines next should be the west coast of the US in California

[edit on 8-6-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Think of it like this, these vibrations are moving through the earth following the fault lines next should be the west coast of the US in California

I'm inclined to think you're right with Sunny California being one of the next up.
I don't think it will be the San Andreas fault though.

I am curious, I note this quake is 10 Km deep as was the China quake.
Not sure about the depth on some of the other, less intensive ones.

Aren't the tectonic plates much thicker than 10Km?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I hope not, I have many loved ones in that area...I wish I had seen this thread earlier, I just posted this article

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I know how you feel I was born there
I have plenty of quake experiences growing up there. It is not fun

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I am listening to the Charlotte King ATS Mix interview and she mentioned if there was an earthquake in Greece she then looks for earthquakes in
....(she wasn't predicting one in Greece, she just mentioned it....but I am listening again here as I am typing to get where specificaly she said she looks next..........)
She was responding to a question by the user "the Borg" He asked if one massive earthquakes could cause others on the same teutanic plate?
She said that she looks for patterns, and said, for example;
(paraphrasing) If there were an earthquake in Greece for example, I would look for something happening in the Caspian, Aegean, Ionian seas, and Turkey.

So, maybe this will be interesting to see what follows.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

Well that all depends on the location it's not a perfectly defined layer.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Again i notice the depth of the quake as being 10 km !

Is this ringing a bell with anyone else at ATS ?

All these quake's that are taking place around the world are shallow and happening at 10km below the surface !

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Or the US is flexing it's muscle and is warning China to back off.

www.youtube.com...
makes you think

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by iammonkey

We have had an increase in earthquakes ever since the Christmas 2006 earthquake/tusnami...

Here is a link to a thread about the big earthquakes causing echoing jolts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

OK, I get the idea of quakes moving through the earth along fault lines, but Greece is a ways off from California. It looks like the quakes are moving away from the Pacific rim as well. Could you be a bit more informative on the route you are thinking the quakes will take?

I am not trying to argue against you here; I am really confused. Seismology is not my specialty.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Here you go!

Follow the fault lines on the left you see china follow the lines south it heads west towards Greece but the shock wave travels in two direction follow the fault line north and around to Southern cal~!

www.rain.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Just to in form was a 4.8 and a 4.9 in china today

source: visz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69
OK, I think I got what you're saying. The stress is spreading outward like ripples in a pond, but restricted to the fault lines. It hit Greece to the west, but is also moving toward the US coast along the north-east-south Pacific rim route.

Thanks for the help, you had me completely lost there.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Hey no problem let's see if this theory pans out!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
hey guys, did you read my post about Charlotte's take on what happens next after an earthquake happens in Greece?

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Res Ipsa]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Jesus said there would be earthquakes in various places (increasing in frequency) as a warning that the apocalypse is coming. These are the "birth pangs". Well, we've had earthquakes in China, California, Illinois, Iceland and now Greece...all in a months time. Seems to me these earthquakes are increasing in frequency and happening in the most obscure places (all over the globe). Supposedly the big one will shake the whole globe. Then we'll all know we're up #'s creek without a paddle. The end is coming.......be prepared. The world is about to be bitch slapped for being bad.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Jesus said there would be earthquakes in various places (increasing in frequency) as a warning that the apocalypse is coming. These are the "birth pangs". Well, we've had earthquakes in China, California, Illinois, Iceland and now Greece...all in a months time. Seems to me these earthquakes are increasing in frequency and happening in the most obscure places (all over the globe). Supposedly the big one will shake the whole globe. Then we'll all know we're up #'s creek without a paddle. The end is coming.......be prepared. The world is about to be bitch slapped for being bad.

Jesus never said any of that though, who ever wrote Revelations and The Book of Daniel did...Jesus was actually very much hippie like according to what little information we have about the figure...very Ghandi like, if you will.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I think you should read Matthew 24

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join