It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange gas pricing trend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This observation is only specific for Western Washington, I'm interested in finding out if it is being observed nationwide or if it is purely a local trend. Two weeks ago regular unleaded gas jumped over $4 a gallon in the outlying towns East of Seattle/Bellevue. Up to that point, Diesel was climbing at a slightly higher rate than unleaded gas was. Basically the stations held gas at $3.99 for almost a week and then, overnight seemingly, they made the plunge and it shot directly up to $4.15 or so. Diesel went up to $4.97-ish at the same general time. Since that time gas has gone up several cents at a time, every couple of days. The interesting thing is with every increase to unleaded, diesel has declined by the same amount. We started at $4.15 for unleaded and are now at $4.35 (price as of last night), diesel started at $4.99 and is now $4.79 (again, as of last night.)

Is this a move by the stations or gas companies to try and give the trucking industry a break and pass the inflated costs off to the "average" driver? I don't have a major problem with that, if it is the case, as it will (hopefully) keep delivered good prices from continuing their upward march and eventually even bring the prices back down, but I'd think if that was the case we'd have heard something about it somewhere. On the flip side, I also haven't heard about any increase in diesel production that could account for their decline in price, either. Has anyone else observed this around their home region?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I heard a talking head and an "expert" guest presumably from the study of economics and oil say that because oil per bar. peaked a month ago or so around $135 we would see gasoline eventually increase and peak and I think that may account for what we are seeing. Interstingly enough, many have been suggesting that food prices will shoot up soon as well.

It keeps getting ugly, so ugly in fact I can't remember when the beast was actually pretty!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm scared... I don't have any savings and I'm having trouble paying off debt that I have accumulated due to a poor job.

I currently have two jobs and I'm slowly paying off my high interest credit card debt. However, I am on a very strict budget. My typical $50 run to the grocery store is now costing me $80.

that extra $30 is $30 less thats going to pay off my debt.

What will we do when gas reaches $5.00 and the grocery bill increases another $20?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Soliex

We'll have to start giving up the luxuries.. like cable, internet, going out, etc etc..

reply to OP

I didn't notice the change in deisel prices so I can't even begin to speculate if it's an oddity or not.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Living without cable really isn't an option, I think without it I would go absolutely nuts. Id rather eat less than not have my beloved internet..

Anyways, sorry to get off topic. But I haven't noticed diesel changing, when regular was $3.99, diesel was $4.99

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Someone mentioned the Nafta thing and now the gas is climbling. Wonder if these two are part of the picture in some small way maybe?
maybe not.
Just wondering

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It really is a complicated issue.
Everything is so interwoven in our infrastructure. We are reaping the consequences of a protracted and expensive war. But we look at gas prices as being "the" cause of alarm. If we made more then we could deal with it but we don't, and many are losing their homes to boot.
....if we strengthen the dollar we can stave off this looming depression. We need to end the war for our own survival. We need to stop hemorraging money and that is the best place to start.
I hate to say it, but maybe if gas went up to $10 a gallon the couch potatoes of America might be able to compel Washington to do something or run them out of D.C. sooner than later.

top topics

join