It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK and US diplomat "attacked" and Kidnapped in Zimbabwe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
US state dept Briefing on armed roadblock. Now on sky news

[edit on 5-6-2008 by freemindmine]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
State Department statement.

- US/UK informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that diplomats would be making the trip.

- Army intelligence and war generals behind attack.

- One person was beaten.

- Incident is being raised at the UN Security Council.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hope Britain does invade, gives the somewhere to use the new chinooks which everyone has been complaining about how its horrendous they aren't being used, I would be willing to join the army to take down a cocky little, fascist git like Mugabe. Maybe the British might retake Zimbabwe and form a new empire lol

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Sadly, I can't see any Western Government ever removing President Mugabe, their simply isn't any money or incentive to do so.

The people will keep on suffering and nothing will change.

It's kind of analogous to the USA and lousy deadbeat parents. The government can't do much about it, and the kids are the ones who suffer.

As you said, there is no incentive to remove Mugabe.. Even if he's killed, how do we keep the void he leaves from being filled with another radical?
Personally I think the only fix is to combine many of those African countries into larger entities and put them under UN control. Pump them full of healthcare and education to see if we can close the gap existing between them and the 1st world.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It seems the army and war generals have embarrassed the Zimbabwean government because the Ministy of Foreign Affairs had to rush officials out to the site.

South Africa needs to stop blocking tough words at the UN and start helping the Zimbabwean people (who are being attacked in South Africa).

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Western ex-colonial powers are allegedly loathe to interfere exactly because of their colonial past - but personally I think it's time PC went out of the window on this one.

It really wouldn't take that much to put things right in zimbabwe - remove the head of the snake, and by that I mean all zanu-pf commanders as well.

Let them hold their elections fairly (something that hasn't happened under mugabe), add in a little aid until they get the farms going again, and the job's done.

There IS the added complication of south africa, but I think they have too much on their plate to do anything except make noise.

Sorry I mistook your previous post - I extend my apologies.

[edit on 5/6/2008 by budski]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBTBE
Hope Britain does invade, gives the somewhere to use the new chinooks which everyone has been complaining about how its horrendous they aren't being used, I would be willing to join the army to take down a cocky little, fascist git like Mugabe. Maybe the British might retake Zimbabwe and form a new empire lol

The British Government aren't interested in Zimbabwe. They've got better things to spend their money on, Iraq, Afghanistan, Trident Nuclear submarines and I'D cards.

The British public and media would love for our Army to go to Zimbabwe and to kick Mugabe and his henchmen out. It will never happen though. What's to be gained? Freedom for the people?

I'm sorry but our troops going to Zimbabwe to free the people is nothing but a romantic notion. It will never happen. Our government don't care about the people of Zimbabwe. That may sound harsh, but it's true. Our Government have other things to occupy their minds.

If the British Government were to act against Zimbabwe , they would have done it by now. Our politicians will come out and say all the right words without ever doing anything with substance.

The only thing Zimbabwe have to worry about is the BBC news.

Sadly they make more noise than any Western Government.

[edit on 5uThursday08/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
For the record, a history lesson:

In 2001, during the period of white farmers being killed, tortured and thrown out of Zimbabwe, Blair did consider invasion. Plans were drawn up, but the High Commissioner said it would not of been a wise move at the time.

However, if we were to invade now, it would be welcome and supported. Normal soldiers and police do not support Mugabe.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh boy, some of you on here are being a little hypocritical...COUGH...budski....COUGH.
For some reason it would be ok and warranted to invade Zimbabwe and remove the figure head because the people would welcome it and want to be free. Hmm....sounds a little familiar like Iraq. Why would you do this?
How is Zimbabwe threatening the UK? Do you really think they could hurt the UK? Do they have WMD?
Why do you want to be the police of the world?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I remember it well - there were also a lot of protests about the zimbabwe cricket team touring here, which IMO completely missed the point.

Typical really - it's the little people who suffer for the actions of the few.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Uk shouldn't do a damn thing,South Africa should get its thumb out its bumb and actually attempt to secure peace...so far,they have not done a damn thing.it has absolutely nothing to do with the UK.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

Well, ermm, no. When Zimbabwe starts attacking our diplomats, harassing UK journalists and fellow Commonwealth members it does become our problem. Mandela famously said "Africa sorts out African problems"; well, I am sorry to say Africa does not. The African Union is too busying playing the colonial and race card when the European Union and America places sanctions on Zimbabwe.

Sudan, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Somalia are a few problems the AU ignore and refuse to address.

As for Zimbabwe, Mugabe seems to talk about British colonialism when the Chinese have started to play neo-colonialism in his country. Chinese troops were reported on the streets of Zimbabwe after the election fall out.

We in Britain have a moral duty over our former colonies and ensure the citizens maintain their independent, free, sovereign rights (like Burma)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

All that would need to be done is remove mugabe - he's currently in the middle of trying to rig a run off in a "disputed" election.

Just wanted to point out that this action would resemble something done, say, about 5 years ago in Iraq.

Removing the leader of a country is not a simple task. It requires delicate planning and foresight into the aftermath. Something we didn't do very well with Iraq. Maybe we wanted it this way in Iraq, I couldn't say.

Just realize the scope of what you're talking about here. Political coup's aren't like weeding a garden. You can't just "remove" a leader. Especially when it's in a country in the condition that theirs is.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by intelligent life

Before I answer that I must first ask you if you know anythingat all about zimbabwe, and british history in the former rhodesia?

If not, then I would respectfully ask that you find out about that history before I engage you in debate on this.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hands up who didn't see any kind of spin coming from the Zimbabwean officials?

www.earthtimes.org...

Johannesburg/Harare - Zimbabwe's police spokesman Wayne Bvudzijena claimed Thursday that police tried to protect a group of United States diplomats from "a mob" after theirs and a British diplomatic convoy were attacked by security forces and militia north of Harare. The three US diplomats and four British officials were investigating reports of violence in rural areas when they were detained for several hours by armed police, soldiers and ruling party militiamen who threatened to assault them and burn them alive in their cars unless they got out of the vehicles, US Ambassador to Zimbabwe James McGee told CNN.

www.earthtimes.org...

The vehicles were halted at a roadblock about 60 kilometres from Harare, on their way back from visiting the Bindura area about 80 kilometres north-east of the city.

"Police stopped them. Then war veterans and soldiers arrived, carrying arms. They were brandishing weapons and shouting at the party that they were trying to 'carry out regime change' against Mugabe," a diplomatic source said.

The Zimbabwean driver of the American vehicle was pulled out and assaulted, the source said, and the vehicles' path was blocked by a trap of spikes. Armed men slashed the US vehicle's tyres.

Bvudzijena claimed on national radio police had "rescued" the diplomats from a "mob"

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Got to love the spin from Zimbabwe

"rescuing them for a mob"

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Oh boy, some of you on here are being a little hypocritical...COUGH...budski....COUGH.
For some reason it would be ok and warranted to invade Zimbabwe and remove the figure head because the people would welcome it and want to be free. Hmm....sounds a little familiar like Iraq. Why would you do this?
How is Zimbabwe threatening the UK? Do you really think they could hurt the UK? Do they have WMD?
Why do you want to be the police of the world?

For a start, there are a lot of Rhodesians (Zimbabweins) that are British or at the very least dual British passport holders. Secondly it is a former British colony and its our moral right. Thirdly, Britain WAS the best of the world policeman. Fourthly why does the US want to be the police of the world?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Looks like Mugabe is taking aim at his citizens (again)

Zimbabwe suspends aid operations

Zimbabwe's government has indefinitely suspended all field work by aid groups and non-governmental organisations.

Social Welfare Minister Nicholas Goche accused several of "breaching the terms and conditions of their registration", in a written notice sent to the groups.

BBC

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Our colonies? We! have no colonies,Zimbabwe is a nation inside of Africa,its an African issue,nothing to do with britain,End of story.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
For a start, there are a lot of Rhodesians (Zimbabweins) that are British or at the very least dual British passport holders.

Irrelevant!
Hell, the U.S. has citizens from almost every nation so I don't see your point.

Secondly it is a former British colony and its our moral right.

Irrelevant!
I guess you need to look up the word "former" in the dictionary. Get over it!

Thirdly, Britain WAS the best of the world policeman. Fourthly why does the US want to be the police of the world?

I guess you missed the point. I don't think the U.S. nor Britain should be the world policeman.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join