It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama. A View From Scotland

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Morning.

Well i thought i would throw my thoughts at you all.

as the title says, im from Scotland, UK

Obama for me, is going to be good for the USA.
i strongly believe if he wins in November, the USA will become a different country.
as things stand your foreign policy is shocking, and Bush does make it hard to be an American in this world.

a new chapter people.

im just praying that, like the other "good guys" before him, that he doesnt get his head blown off by some madman.

this is a GOOD thing for you guys over there.

usualy, we here in the UK, shake our heads with disbelief at what we see over there. today, we are seeing good things.

lets all pray this carries on, and Obama gets into the Whitehouse.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
As an American all I can say is that we don't really care what the rest of the world thinks.(not a personal attack on you) Regardless of how many people in other countries hate us, we still know that we are the greatest country on earth. Why else would so many people come here? Its not because of the food(WTH is up with bologna anyway?) I really dont think that any President will be able to change the world view of the USA, and quite honestly that doesnt bother me at all.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
When you worry about how other people/places view you, in Psychology, this is called "low core self-esteem'. In other words, you let them control your actions.

On the other hand, "High core self-esteem" is making your decisions based on knowing what is best for you, and not letting other people tell you what is best for yourself. Only you can truely know this, unless you're like mentally handicapped or something.

"Please, please like me!" - wreaks of pathetic insecurity.

You can spin it how you want, but at the end of the day, it's always the USA paving the way.

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
wow those last two responses were HORRIBLE, just shows you why people in other country's look down on the US.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I am so glad that your only insight to the subject was a personal attack on two others. Go fly a kite!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
He is the IN man. Will take a beaut frim OZ. Get over it. It's a done deal.
The next US president WILL be a black man. Hope he can rectify the wrongs. Anyone hear Letterman tonite? They flamed Bush. And the Iraq war.
'Suddenly become our friend'....yea like worse things could happen.

[edit on 6/4/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Not doubting that he will win, I just dont think that the rest of the world will suddenly become our friends just because he is president.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I just dont think that the rest of the world will suddenly become our friends just because he is president.

Perhaps not, but maybe the rest of the world won't be so quick to judge the great country that America was on the basis of a war mongering, corporation pandering, religous fundementalist leader.

Then again, in the end all politicians are the same pretty much.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesterMan
Not doubting that he will win, I just dont think that the rest of the world will suddenly become our friends just because he is president.

No, probably not, but I agree with the writer of this thread that from a European point of view it will be a great improvement if he becomes your new president.

And the first 2 reactions are so sad and stereotypical. "We don't care about anyone else, we are bigger, better blablabla".

By the way I know lots of very nice American people, who are not afraid to reflect on their own country and are prepared to discuss our differences.

And some European leaders (Blair, Balkenende) are no better. They hurried to stand behind your retard president when it came to the invasion in Irak.

With respect to everybody here on ATS,

Faith

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Many people could have written the same about Tony Blair back then in April 1997.
When Blair was elected in May 1997, people had seen him as a fresh change from the old Tory domination.
Same for Obama today…change from the Bush domination.

kacou

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
That is all well and good, but the fact is if we spend all our time trying to appeal to the rest of the world we will never grow as a country. The freedoms we have make our country so great not our approval rating. Call it ethnocentric, I call it PATRIOTISM.

---GOD BLESS AMERICA

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I can understand the American patriotism, which is great, it really is, that you love your country, but we all have to live on the same planet in pretty close proximity, so yes, what happens in America is important to the rest of us. It's important to us that your country is healthy and happy and progessing toward what it wants, so no borders please, metaphorically speaking.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
That sounds fair enough. It just gets kind of frustating when a good percentage of americans talk so bad about their own country. I do honestly wish that the whole world could live together in harmony, but we are a long way from that.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
100k plus hadjess dead. I remember a big ol' flag getting flung upside down in the first days. But I'm am not supposed to speak ill of my country.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

At last, the true motive of the need to create a "coalition of the willing" in order to sell the Iraq war to the American people is finally revealed.

"Hey, we got Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and Uzbekistan! on our side. We can't be wrong."

Aye. Pathetic insecurity.

Pot, kettle, black.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Please please like me. After I white phosphorus your relatives into little white flame balls. Yes, of course!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
On the other hand, "High core self-esteem" is making your decisions based on knowing what is best for you, and not letting other people tell you what is best for yourself. Only you can truely know this, unless you're like mentally handicapped or something.

You can spin it how you want, but at the end of the day, it's always the USA paving the way.

Yes, the aluminum tubes in Iraq was a breakthrough for the world at large. Thank God America is paving the way.

Of course, it doesn't matter what the world thinks of America. But if you don't want to get along with your neighbours and take some criticism, well then a lot of people will just continue on hating America.

How can you claim America is paving the way when you don't want to listen to what others even think?

Is it being headstrong, or just plain arrogant?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Remember that song... "One is the loneliest number"? Sometimes being on top is hard, but it takes that F@@# it attitude to keep on pushing. Winners don't stop to think about who is behind them. Not to say we shouldn't play fair, but last time I checked your country was right along side us in Iraq.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I think when it comes to who will be running the most powerful and richest country in the world...people from other countries are obviously going to be interested because it also affects them.Anyway as for Obama...i think people looking for a drastic change are going to be severely disappointed...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Im sorry but the American viewpoint that " we are the greatest country on earth and we know it" is just arrogant. It sounds so pompous. Im an American and was born American. I believe there are many great things about my country but i also believe its going downhill fast. The one positive thing i can say of late is that more and more americans are waking up to this fact.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join