It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tyson Removes 'Raised Without Antibiotics' Labels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Tyson Removes 'Raised Without Antibiotics' Labels

www.foxbusiness.com

Tyson Foods has removed antibiotic-free labels from its chicken, the company announced Monday.

The labels read, “Raised Without Antibiotics,” and Tyson said it is “voluntarily" removing them "due to uncertainty and controversy over product labeling regulations and advertising claims."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Their "official" explanation is complete BS. This is Codex Alimentarius raising it's ugly head.
I am going to start raising my own chickens and look into buying a side of beef from a local "non codex" farmer.

www.foxbusiness.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-6-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I personally see no problem with the use of antibiotics to maintain a healthy flock of birds. The key is moderation in use.

Coccidiosis and Marek's disease are just a couple of the diseases common to chickens that can cause huge losses in a flock if preventive steps like vaccinations or oral medications are not utilized.

Good luck on finding a cow that has not had some antibiotic or medication administered it to keep it healthy. If you do find one, you'll pay a premium for your meat.

Note:

You may want to find out what your local non-codex farmer feeds his cattle before you buy any meat from him. You'd be amazed at some of the things people feed their livestock!

[edit on 6/3/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I personally see no problem with the use of antibiotics to maintain a healthy flock of birds. The key is moderation in use.

Coccidiosis and Marek's disease are just a couple of the diseases common to chickens that can cause huge losses in a flock if preventive steps like vaccinations or oral medications are not utilized.

Good luck on finding a cow that has not had some antibiotic or medication administered it to keep it healthy. If you do find one, you'll pay a premium for your meat.

Note:

You may want to find out what your local non-codex farmer feeds his cattle before you buy any meat from him. You'd be amazed at some of the things people feed their livestock!

I take it then you have no medical / nursing training then. Had you any at all you would be horrified at anti biotics in the food chain.

This is the single greatest threat waiting to explode in our faces - antibiotic resistant diseases that no animal or man has a chance of survival.

content.nejm.org...

salmonella is already resistant to all but the strongest AB's, any more and we face a devastating disease we cannot treat in humans. Thats from 2001.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

I take it then you have no medical / nursing training then. Had you any at all you would be horrified at anti biotics in the food chain.

This is the single greatest threat waiting to explode in our faces - antibiotic resistant diseases that no animal or man has a chance of survival.

content.nejm.org...

salmonella is already resistant to all but the strongest AB's, any more and we face a devastating disease we cannot treat in humans. Thats from 2001.

Yes, I have had some medical training, and I'm aware of the overuse of antibiotics by doctors.

Nevertheless, I also raise chickens, and I know for a fact that you have very high mortality rates among your birds when you fail to medicate them against common diseases. Raising livestock constitutes a significant cash investment, and I have no desire to throw my money away trying to be environmentally friendly. As I said: The key is moderation. You don't give your livestock medications they don't need.

I wonder how many chickens the New England Medical Journal staff have raised?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

content.nejm.org...

Yes, I have had some medical training, and I'm aware of the overuse of antibiotics by doctors.

Nevertheless, I also raise chickens, and I know for a fact that you have very high mortality rates among your birds when you fail to medicate them against common diseases. Raising livestock constitutes a significant cash investment, and I have no desire to throw my money away trying to be environmentally friendly. As I said: The key is moderation. You don't give your livestock medications they don't need.

The big question is: What is your health worth to you?
Personally, my health is worth every penny I can invest in it.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

None but how many thousands of lives do they save daily with anti biotics ? a smart mouthed reply makes you look stupid.

If you have medical training you will know that THE greatest danger mankind faces is antibiotic resistant diseases.

My aunt raises chickens in somerset UK and they get 0, ZERO anti biotics. She raises 100 at a time and all natural.

Guess i know who'd i'd buy from, and its not the smart arsed chicken farmer.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

The big question is: What is your health worth to you?
Personally, my health is worth every penny I can invest in it.

Then I'd suggest you stop eating beef, pork, fish, and fresh fruit & vegetables. All these products have health issues associated with them.

There's also problems with the water we drink.

The next time your hospitalized for an illness, refuse any antibiotics they may offer to treat your illness. You don't want to risk overusing them and building up a resistance.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

The next time your hospitalized for an illness, refuse any antibiotics they may offer to treat your illness. You don't want to risk overusing them and building up a resistance.

Quite the clown aren't you ? if i get a bacterial infection and it needs antibiotics i take them. When the illness is defeated I stop taking them.

Thus the bacteria are killed, creating a well person.
This is not the same as constant low level anti biotics in the food chain where bacteria have a constant AB field in which to mutate and grow resistance to the antibiotics.

I would try and explain the difference between gram positive and negative AB's, and also broad spectrum types, but if we keep broad spectrum ABS in the food chain we are going to face disaster sooner rather than later.

Treat humans, fine, make sure they take the full course and repeat till the bacteria are dead, DO NOT keep low levels of broad spectrum in our food chain.....it just a breeding ground for new strains of bacteria we will one day not be able to combat.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

None but how many thousands of lives do they save daily with anti biotics ? a smart mouthed reply makes you look stupid.
Your hostility speaks volumes about your intelligence. Please check your attitude in at the keyboard next time before you reply.

The over prescribing of antibiotics by doctors is the reason we have so many resistant strains of bacteria today, not because of farmers treating legitimate medical conditions with them.

If you have medical training you will know that THE greatest danger mankind faces is antibiotic resistant diseases.
No, the greatest threat we face is that of medical professionals that can't tell the difference between a bacterial infection and a viral one.

My aunt raises chickens in somerset UK and they get 0, ZERO anti biotics. She raises 100 at a time and all natural.
You should ask her sometime what percentage of that 100 chicks she begins with actually survive to maturity. I'd guess less than 2/3's without medications.

Guess i know who'd i'd buy from, and its not the smart arsed chicken farmer.
Buy all the chickens you like from you aunt, I could care less.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Quite the clown aren't you ? if i get a bacterial infection and it needs antibiotics i take them. When the illness is defeated I stop taking them.
You mean you're not concerned about creating resistant bacterial strains from overuse when you get sick then.

Many doctors prescribe antibiotics routinely for colds, which we all know are viruses. Why? Because it makes their patients feel like they're getting something for their money. If they'd just wait a week or so, they be better with no medical treatment whatsoever.

I would try and explain the difference between gram positive and negative AB's, and also broad spectrum types, but if we keep broad spectrum ABS in the food chain we are going to face disaster sooner rather than later.
Don't bother, I doubt you know anymore about the difference between the various types than I do. You obviously don't know anything about raising livestock.

top topics

join