It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 658
<< 655  656  657    659 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Well, I see what you're getting at, sort of. But if the FCP is just for us 30 some odd fighters, why should anyone else even care what is said in here?

Would it be possible to make the FCP sort of like RATS .. where the only people who can even SEE it are the fighters? If people are complaining that we chit-chat here, that should take care of it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

But it's not anyone else that cares, it is us. As a fellow debater, I am fortunate enough to be included in the "us". And as a debater, it concerns me that the FCP is a chat thread of almost everything but the debate forum. I believe Schro put it at 10% of discussion in this thread is actually debate forum related.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I agree with you totally.

Maybe we need a "probationary" period to see if we can self-police ourselves and make this thread what it should be.

That will ease the minds of the folks that want it moved and/or have problems with the route FCP has taken, and it will give us a chance to fix it ourselves instead of having others step in and take steps to fix it for us that many have a problem with.

In the end, it is up to us as members, anyways. So, why not take it upon ourselves to fix this problem?? Does that sound like a plan for anyone else?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I just realized... how do you get 30 people who are passionate about debating to agree on anything?

Whatever. As long is there is a place where we can all discuss things (even if those things need to be more "on topic") without other people spamming, I see no problem.

I can stay on subject most of the time, and when I don't, you can just warn me and steal my points like you do on the regular forums.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

This is a task for the participants of this thread to complete, if they see it fit to tackle. "Policing" this issue is going to be done amongst ourselves and just redirecting the discussion back to debate related when we veer off-topic, which will be regularly.

The current 10% of debate discussion should be 85-90%. That is, 85-90% of all discussion in this thread should be debate forum related.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
The current 10% of debate discussion should be 85-90%. That is, 85-90% of all discussion in this thread should be debate forum related.

I agree 100% with this.

That is after all, why we have a place where only we can talk.

If all we are going to do is chit-chat about everything BUT debates...why do we deserve a special thread?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The Fighter's Pub is not so much about the debates as it is about us - the debate community - keeping up with each other. If 2 or 3 days go by and a person hasn't "checked in," the others actually get concerned.

If there isn't an ongoing debate to discuss, then .. what, we just have to be quiet until there is? Daily or almost daily "checking in" so we all know everyone is okay ... well I suppose that's "chit chat" but it sure is important to us. And there isn't anywhere else we can do it without getting lost amdst the 10,000 other members.

Besides which, we aren't even supposed to discuss ongoing debates!!

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Heike]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

but how do i get another fighter bettter to know if there isn.t a little chit chat?
it is very difficult to draw a line!

maybe what schro dog and myself would call talk to get to know each other, talk to figure out debates would be considered as too much chit chat by others.

and i guess it will make people to become silent!

i realized that most fighters vent a little while being in a debate or after a debate
beside all the fun a debate is, it is also mentally stress and yeah than you chit chat a little bit more than usual!

and to me the FCP is a safe haven
it is - as mentioned before - for fighters only and i know that nobody would attack me seriously at this place! being among friends make me feel secure!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This "chit chat" thing kills me.

I agreed about not bringing the DATS stuff in here, but consider this.

We are not allowed, or strongly discouraged, to talk about ongoing debates

So what do you want us to do in here?

Smack talk?

Smack talk is "chit chat" and it is an evolution of familiarity which comes from said "chit chat."

Post pictures of drinks?

Well now that we have to go through the whole MATS process you might have noticed that that joy has all but disappeared.

So, are we to come in once a week to see if someone wants to debate?

Again, let us refrain from confusing the FCP and DATS with crossover topics, but please let's go back to as we were with everything else and take those cursed points away.

What kind of PUB is this?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Disagree. Part of being able to debate ruthlessly is the psychological adaptation of putting the topic before the ego. This is most possible, without actually becoming ruthless bastards, when the participants know that there's genuine respect and friendship between each other, as people and not mere debating-machines.

FCP has become essential for that development; the honing of 'smack talk' combined with genuine friendship indicates such. That parallel of intellectual and personal respect is established and cemented by casual and genuine conversation, and cannot be metered at "10%", "80%", or any other deterministic fraction of on-topic directness.

That said, we can certainly attempt to avoid minimal, superficial, and uninteresting replies and discussion, simply as a matter of respect to the level of sophisticated discourse that we as Fighters so enjoy.

Edit: quote clarity.

[edit on April 8th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Is no-one going to touch their drinks?

I feel a little used...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Wow, what is going on in this room? Anyway, I have another rebuttal up folks:

REBUTTAL

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Put on the dutch maid uniform, start a fresh pot of coffee, and HUSH. This is serious business.

The floor needs sweeping and mopping, and the ice machine needs to be cleaned out. Plus the men's restroom probably needs its weekly hose off and disinfection.

If that's not enough to keep you busy (and quiet) for a while, I CAN come up with more stuff for you to do... just ask!

(edit because I can't tell cup from pot. Sheesh)

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Heike]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So friendships can only grow through mindless chatter?

I'm beginning to feel that some are disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Through the past 2 pages, much of us are agreeing on the fundamental points.. yet act like we're in utter disagreement.

The value of the chit-chat in this thread is not in dispute. The friendships that have grown are important. I do not propose we do anything to cut that. But the notion that all is going to be lost if we seek to cut back on the "pig Latin", two-three word posts with a smiley, or nonsensical chatter.. it's absurd.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

THAT was not a rebuttal!

Your source said that you were wrong, so are you trying to mess with the rookie?

And how can I elaborate on something we both know is true about BOTH drinks?

Really now, you are bringing SLAVERY into this?

You're a dirty, dirty fighter....

(grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
what i just realize is that most of the guys consider the talk at the FCP (or most of it) as meaningless chit chat - there is the line.

but is it really meaningless? or does it help to get to know each other? to feel safe?

to me it is like a big bar (yup a pub) and usually you talk small talk at bars. you can.t just be serious all the time. you relax and do a little brain storming, which might be considereed as chit chat again, and bingo a new debate is born

as the OP claimed:

Originally posted by intrepid
OK debate fans, this thread is for you. You want to discuss what and who you want to debate? Talk a little smack? Just chill? This thread is for you.

just chill!

usually i don.t talk so much about debates, since we are not supposed to talk about on going debates.
yup i would love to learn more about strategies

but i guess it is best for me not to post here, since i am doing to much chitty chatty

and i really do not care about any points.
take them away, i just don.t need them

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Agreed.

Friendships can just as easily be fostered anywhere else on this board as far as I'm concerned.

I've done my fair share of one-liner posts and mindless banter here in FCP, but I've grown to know many of you through your contributions OUTSIDE of this thread.

Claiming that cutting down on this type of thing will hurt our bond sounds silly to me.

That's what the rest of ATS and BTS is for.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm a fairly new and junior member but I do stand by what I said earlier in this thread that the conversation in here is, to me anyway, a very important way for debaters to get to know each other aside from the to-and-froing of the debates proper.

To me this is like an ante-chamber to the forum proper where we can politely laugh and joke with each other before advancing to the "ring" where we might tear shreds off one another.

It's also a place where I am spared the numpties who hijack threads by posting some nonsense in the middle of a sensible conversation.

As for DATS and FCP, I've been to DATS twice, saw nothing there I liked, have no intention of joining in. I do enjoy getting to know my fellow fighters here.

I've debated live for years (learning to "type" debate is a challenge) and any debate I've been in we've all from all sides gone to a pub afterwards, we've discussed the debate but also had a splendid time outdoing one another in wit. Wit does sharpen the intellect.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

It's that avatar of yours. He looks like someone that a 51 yo woman just HAS to disagree with.

Tell them they can't post any more music videos and I'll agree with anything else you tell me to.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
Is no-one going to touch their drinks?

I feel a little used...

Sorry, JJ - I should clarify: for the sake of simplicity and brevity, I generally only find need to exceptionally comment on the fact of beverage intake when I am not drinking coffee.

Excellent brew. A little stronger, and with a little coarser grind, may I recommend, however? I find that does wonders for avoiding bitterness and dregs.

Oh, and a splash of Bailey's. Why not.

Chissler: I think we agree.

<< 655  656  657    659 >>

join