It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Have you tried this? It was many years ago, but I was impressed. Of course, that was before I found single-malt...

To topic: I'm reluctant to discuss things like, for example, my opinion of SD's startlingly bold move in his opening statement, the lack of a perspective view of the butterfly-ballot, or other particular issues of ongoing debates. Because, egotistically, I'd worry that those in the debate would read, and think "hmm, yes, maybe I should mention that", and my comments would be an undue/unfair influence. Or I'd like to mention a particularly strong point that was made, but then the other side would know (if they weren't already aware) that they might need to be strong on a counter to that, because that's what people would notice.

It's a little bit of a conflict of interest, is all. For example, with regard to Semper's suggestion on the 'modcast', of ongoing debate commentary. Do we really want to play to the audience (such as it is), blow by blow? That would reward the more demagogic, less complex arguments. Not the best thing, imho.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

That's actually a very good and fair point.
Perhaps when the whole round is finished we can all revisit our favorite posts and arguments of the round.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Haven't tried it...

As to the discussion of ongoing debates...I have found myself cutting my lip in restraining myself from commenting in the past. Though, after debate results are in...free game. I for one, would love to hear feed back on what others thought about my performance after the debate is completed.

Though, out of respect for the process, it is necessary, in my opinion, to just let it play out.

Trust me, I want to speak volumes on a couple of subjects (I chose them...
) but won't...until I can. And even then I may choose not to.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I feel terrible for you though. I'm sure you'd love to be debating, at least some of the time. Isn't there a way to have someone else moderate every once in a while so you can play too?

ps. before some smarty pants jumps in, no this is not a challenge.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It's in the works..

And I glad you decided to stipulate that you weren't challenging me...I wouldn't think that you would want a loss so soon in your career...

Yes, I do have an ego...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Hum.

I will tell you what I tell my wife every day:

"you're right, I am sorry, it's my fault"

Keeps things quite and safe at home.

To tell you the truth, even though we fight as opponents, the real fight is actually one of reason itself. Like has been pointed before, the real victory is in finding previously unexplored thoughts and paradigms within one's own intellect. It is a game vs the habit and momentum of what have been until you play, stationary thoughts. Does any of this make sense?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
To tell you the truth, even though we fight as opponents, the real fight is actually one of reason itself. Like has been pointed before, the real victory is in finding previously unexplored thoughts and paradigms within one's own intellect. It is a game vs the habit and momentum of what have been until you play, stationary thoughts. Does any of this make sense?

Absolutely it makes sense...

In my opinion, the rabble rousing is there to garner interest and to release incurred stress/tension...the process of the debate is to find growth and reason. Every one of my 'losses' came with something(s) learned.

That is why I have found home in the Debate Forum. And that is why I will always be, in some form, in the Debate Forum.

Well said..

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Thank you for creating this place.
I'm off to sleep now.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Thank you for creating this place.
I'm off to sleep now.

Sleep well...and for the record, I didn't create this forum. I was given a torch that I hold proudly...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
So I wait for chissler's final entry ... chomping at the bit to discuss my 'strategy' which seems to have eluded some.

I was wondering, and I hope I'm not being too presumptuous, if anyone else understood why the approach I took was necessary. Or am I just deluding myself?

I can see that I am in the process of becoming very addicted to this debate forum. No fair.... there should have been a disclaimer about the potential habit forming power of the ATS Debate Forum!

Shame on you Memoryshock, you're like a debate 'pusher'. Thank goodness you're not trying to sell me snake oil. (BTW, in advance, I'll take two!)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Hey Max, we talked about it a few posts ago.
When all of us have finished this round we'll have a pow wow about it.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Best of luck with the results.

I can never tell how these things are going to end up while we wait on the judges results. So the waiting game begins.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Man, thank god I'm done with THAT debate! Shesh oh pete! Great topic there MemoryShock.

Seriously, that is what is great about these debates, sometimes you get the side of the debate that goes against your own moral and ethical views and you get to learn about the other side of an issue that you may not necessarily agree with.

Now after I get home from work I'm going to drink away the images I had to research out of my head!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I still got a coupe of rounds to go till we're finished.

However it's never too early to acknowledge the hard work of our gracious host MemoryShock, and the quality, gorgeousness, and integrity of our judges.

Impartiality is a word that gets tossed around a lot these days ...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Ive concluded that MemoryShock is an enlightened master who gives us precisely the topics we have to deal with within.

I struggled with some of the stuff he´s given me too but in the end I always learned a lot.

You (and your opponent) were awesome btw. I read the whole thing (but refrain from comment until its judged)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I didn't realize that bartending and sardonic wit could rake in so many tips.

Yes, MemoryShock has certainly pulled together some great debate topics. I'm curious as to what round three will bring.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Memoryshock,

Evidently everyone around here thinks you hung the moon. That topic defies 'debate'! Major kudos.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks everyone; you're making me blush...but keep in mind, I don't judge these debates...

So hold onto your tip money schro dog...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I just found something neat for anyone who has followed the debate between TruthWithin and myself.

You can play along with us and give this a try: moral tests

Shock, will you take the test?
You might not wanna know what lurks within your soul.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join